PDA

View Full Version : New/updated virus, MS Office vulnerability updates...

Babe Ruth
15-11-2003, 08:37 AM
ALL:

Two new vulnerabilities for you to note and update your systems as appropriate:

1. New virus alert - W32/Mimail.I-mm
On 13th November 2003, MessageLabs, the email security company, stopped copies of an email worm, later identified as W32/Mimail.I.
The initial copies intercepted originated from France.

Name: W32/Mimail.I-mm
Number of copies intercepted so far: 2,100
Time & Date first Captured: 13th Nov 2003, 22:52GMT
Origin of first intercepted copy: France

Characteristics:
The worm arrives as an attachment to an email with double extension ending in either .asp.scr or .com.scr.
The senderís email address is forged, and therefore does not indicate the true identity of the sender.
The worm spreads by emailing copies of itself to email addresses harvested from the infected computer.

You need to update your antivirus systems as appropriate

2. Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability in Word and Excel
Kazuyuki Housaka discovered that a vulnerability in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel can result in the execution of arbitrary code on
the vulnerable system. The Word vulnerability results from the way Word checks the length of a data value (Macro names) embedded in a
document. If a user were to open a specially crafted document, the document could overflow the data value in Word and permit the
execution of arbitrary code. The Excel vulnerability results from the method that Excel uses to check the spreadsheet before reading the
macro instructions. To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker could craft a malicious file that bypasses the macro security model.
Microsoft has released security bulletin MS03-050, "Vulnerability in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel Could Allow Arbitrary Code to Run
(831527)," to address these vulnerabilities and recommends that affected users immediately apply the appropriate patch listed in the bulletin.

Regards, Babe.

Fire-and-Ice
15-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Thanks for that Babe. ;-)

The Mimail.I one looks like the same one posted by another person very slightly earlier here:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41547

Oxie
15-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Babe Ruth

Thanks for the info .... have now updated Office :)

Oxie (Lyn)