PDA

View Full Version : updating drivers

mark c
15-11-2003, 09:29 AM
I have been using this comp for two years and have never updated any drivers. I know what they are now, sort of translator programs that allow a device like a keyboard or a graphics card or a drive to interact with the OS, but is it really necessary to update them?

Do manufacturers of, say keyboards, re-write tier drivers so everything works faster or has more functions so it's a good idea to keep up with the latest version or might this be another case of upgrademania?

TIA :)

tweak\'e
15-11-2003, 09:57 AM
most good manafactures update drivers. its a good idea to check, there may be bug fixes with the new drivers.

if you have a keyboard that has extra function buttons then there may be new drivers, otherwise i wouldn't bother. most other parts from motherboards to printers often have driver updates.

mark c
15-11-2003, 10:49 AM
OK Thanks for that. I found a good place for downloads and has its own forum about drivers too, at...
http://driverguide.com

tweak\'e
15-11-2003, 11:03 AM
i ussual avoid useing places such as driverguide unless your looking for an old or odd driver that the manafacture no longer has. your better off keeping with the manafactures site.

mark c
15-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Oh. OK. Fair do's. Thanks for the tip. :)

Chilling_Silently
15-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Sometimes it pays to update, sometimes its best to leave well-enough alone.

nVidia Drivers are something I always update, as the newer drivers almost always seem to offer better performance, even if its only 3-4fps difference.

Sound drivers are something too that I'll update, but aside from that, I really only update Printer drivers.

If you're having troubles with a piece of Hardware, then your best bet is to update the drivers.

And I fully agree with Tweak'e. Check the Manufacturers website first. Then hit driverguide if its not a recently released piece of hardware.

Chill.

mark c
15-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks Chill, feel much more familiar with the whole driver thing than when I woke up this morning.

Will remember to update drivers for hardware probs. That's a helpful thing.
Cheers m:)C