PDA

View Full Version : Dial up connection problem

Peter M
15-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Just over the last week my dial up connection has started playing up. When I click on a web page and wait for it to download, the progress bar at the bottom of the screen slows to a crawl, then the internet connection disconnects and then immediately dials up and reconnects again. This can happen several times in one hour then run fine for the next hour. Where would I start looking for the problem? Faulty modem, ISP problem, phone line or what? Win 98 with IE6 ISP is world-net.

Elephant
15-11-2003, 12:41 AM
If it were me I would start with the phone line. One way of checking the line is to set up FAX services if not already done and send a FAX to 0800 108 208. Leave the FAX running to receive and you will get a FAX back.

The FAX you get back will give you some info.

I can't help you with the ISP as I know nothing about them.

Assuming your Modem and drivers were working last week and you made no changes there then I don't think the modem is faulty. After all you say that it works fine for the next hour.

Have you got extention phones which may be picked up while you are on the Net?

Peter M
15-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Elephant, Thanks for the reply. Modem & drivers have not been changed and no other software changes either. Yes I have extensions but sometimes this happens when no one else is around. So I can eliminate that. Will try the fax and see what happens.

Jim B
15-11-2003, 08:38 AM
If you have call waiting and someone calls your phone this can disconnect the modem.

Unplug all other equipment from the phone line to check if any are causing a problem, all phones, faxes etc this includes Sky Digital if you have it.

If you have your mail program open and it is set to check for new messages every xx mins it might be set to disconnect after sending and receiving.

Any noise or interference on the phone line can cause disconnects, get telecom to do a line check.
Your modem may be connecting too fast for the line conditions, try slowing the modem with extra settings.

It is also possible that problems with your ISP's network may be the cause.