PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: collecting this list of words

agent
14-11-2003, 10:48 PM
:8}

You might remember earlier this year I posted a thread about collecting a list of profane words... well, so be it (to the powers-that-be), I have to collect this list again (that basically means I synched a blank copy of the database and overwrote the full database... :D).

So, ahem, please visit http://www15.brinkster.com/nzstudentnet. The page is very small to load, and I've just tested it to make sure it works (and it appears to :)), so, go right ahead... same rules as last time, I don't care if you enter words in other languages, because I will go through the list to sort out doubles, etc.

Don't forget that entering your username is entirely optional, I can't even remember why I added it in.

beama
14-11-2003, 10:56 PM
just had a look, there is a side bar(advertising) right hand side that cuts off some your text. Just thought you may what to know.

agent
14-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Yes, I can't help that myself, because Brinkster recently introduced advertising for their free sites in order to keep the level of service the same; however, you can close that ad in one click by scrolling down to the bottom.

beama
14-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Agent
If you dont mind me making a suggestion,
Put the text and input boxes etc in a table and size the table so that allowance is made for the advertising sidebar and left align the table.
not many people will check the bottom of that advertising bar for that close feature (including myself). Also if you are considering puting instrustions on your site on how to close it (advertising bar), may put you in breech of their user terms.

agent
15-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Here's to hoping every browser supports the 80% width tag...

Thanks for the suggestion :D

Laura
15-11-2003, 04:23 AM
Getting back to your original question - rather than how well one can see the website ( & yes, the wording is obscured) why do you want a list of profane words?
Mentioning your "earlier post" means nothing to newbies.
The website's test information is pretty much nil to people who come to this knowing nothing more than your post.
Is this an assignment? If so, it's presumably for English rather than computing.

agent
15-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Umm, ok, I assume not all browsers work with the 80% width tag then...

Now, the reason I want this list of profane words is explained roughly on the site itself: I am creating a forum, and I need to get a list of profane words to add to the forum configuration to be filtered out.

Could you please explain to me this 'test information', unless of course you are talking about the Keirsey Temperament Sorter personality test. I created this test for the purposes of a school statistics project for maths, which has long been finished, but I decided to keep the test itself up because it is a free service (in effect) to discover something about yourself that perhaps you do not know. I also left it up in case anyone who sat the test told other people about it, who may have then discovered the test was gone.

If you would like to check out the entire site, then you have the following three parts to visit:
Profane Word Collecting (http://www15.brinkster.com/nzstudentnet/)
The very very early stage of the forum I am developing (http://www15.brinkster.com/nzstudentnet/forums)
The Keirsey Temperament Sorter (http://www15.brinkster.com/nzstudentnet/keirsey)

That is the entirety of my site at the moment, and I hope it has informed you a little.

Billy T
15-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Do you only want profane words Agent, or do you want the whole gamut of profanity, obscenity and ordinary swearing (bad language) that may be neither profane nor obscene but still not acceptable on a public forum?

You might get a broader range of words if you define your acceptability (unacceptability?) policy in wider terms.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg S
15-11-2003, 01:49 PM
A very nice list of international potential no-go words can be found on phpbb.net

agent
15-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Well, by my definition of "profane", I'm talking about swear words, obscene words, lewd words, rude words, etc.

So yes, pretty much any bad language that is deemed unsuitable for use on a public forum, more so one that teenagers and children will be accessing.

Graham L
15-11-2003, 03:13 PM
... words like "George W Bush"?

Billy T
15-11-2003, 03:42 PM
> Well, by my definition of "profane", I'm talking
> about swear words, obscene words, lewd words, rude
> words, etc.

Profane usually has a religious connection i.e. blasphemy

Obscenity is sexual in character (loosely speaking) and includes lewdness.

Swear words/rude words are those that raise eyebrows in polite company but don't normally draw the attention of censors or Police. The kind of words you wouldn't say in Church, in front of your grandmother, or in front os the Queen, unless of course you were Billy Connolly.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|
[pre][b]Of course even the humble asterisk can get you into
trouble, with words such as ****, **** or ****
or worse, ******* **** drawing moderators' ire.

parry
15-11-2003, 04:18 PM
> A very nice list of international potential
> no-go words can be found on phpbb.net

And if your after Klingon (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8853/curse.html) get pahtked :-D

agent
16-11-2003, 12:02 AM
I suppose it had to happen (I mean, after all, I am asking for unsuitable words), but someone posted some rather disgusting actions.

The kind of stuff you get people talking about on dc.p2p.net.nz.

Except they must browse PressF1 because they knew the username I use here (yes, I use different names between file sharing clients and general use, mainly for my own security/privacy).

Whoever it is is on Xtra Jetstart.