PDA

View Full Version : tv tuner reception

hazza
14-11-2003, 10:39 PM
hello

Is reception for tv tuners( for pc's) good like do you have to move the aerial around and stuff and is it like crystal clear or dodgy with heaps of lines through it and all that stuff

hzz

metla
14-11-2003, 10:52 PM
In my experience unusable with rabbit ears,but crystel clear with a real arial.

godfather
14-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Unless you are in a unique location where there is very high signal level on all channels, its not worth even considering a TV card without a correctly installed outdoor aerial.

PCs generate a large interference level in the TV signal spectrum, so indoor aerials will usually serve up a crud picture.

Unless you have a specific need for the TV in the PC (such as digital capture etc), a stand alone TV will outperform a TV card.

With a correct aerial, the outcome is quite acceptable up to PC monitor size display.

Fire-and-Ice
15-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Can I ask how many tv's one can have rigged up to an external tv aerial? Is there any limit? If not is it easy for one to add another tv? Currently have two and thinking of adding a third if it is possible.

tweak\'e
15-11-2003, 08:27 PM
all comes down to $$$$.

not that hard to connect 300+ tv's

provided you have resonable signal to start with its just a matter of wiring them up, installing splitter and if need be amp/booster.

godfather
15-11-2003, 09:48 PM
> Can I ask how many tv's one can have rigged up to an
> external tv aerial? Is there any limit?

There is a limit.
To add extra outlets requires a splitter. If you presently have 2, you likely have a 2 way splitter.
To add another means fitting a new splitter in place of the old one, with 3 outlets though.

Now, as to the limit. Every time you split the signal, you get less of it in each outlet. At some stage then, its too low on one or more channels and the picture quality suffers.

You may get away with one more, its impossible to say.
About 4 would be a practical limit, provided all cabling is low-loss coax, and you have an optimum setup for the aerial.

You can replace the 2 way splitter with a 4 way amplified splitter, powered from one output circuit. If you are not familiar with electronics, you may be better getting a TV aerial tech in. Its possible you already have an amplifier, but not likely unless its a fringe area.

An amplified splitter is the way to go in my opinion (and I am a qualified electrical engineer, electrician, television and radio technician, but I do not work in that field, before you ask how I know...)

Fire-and-Ice
15-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Excellent information godfather, much appreciated. Thank you.

*Wonders if I now have sufficient ammunition to resist the pressure to purchase and install a third tv in this house.* ]:)