PDA

View Full Version : Compact Flash (please explain)

porpora
14-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Hi all

can somebody out there enlighten me as to how Compact Flash cards work and what the differences are between Type I and II, and Hi speed and Ultra Hi Speed.
Also is there a limit to the size one could put into a digital camera.

Did a search for same but got confused by techno speak. :-(

Thanks a bunch

Julia

godfather
14-11-2003, 05:25 PM
CF memory is computer type memory that does not lose the contents when the power is turned off.
Also known as "non-volatile" memory, and "flash" memory (writing to it is also known as "flashing" the memory).

Type II CF cards are "thicker" in dimension, and only a slot designed for type II can physically accept one.
Usually normal CF memory cards fit in a type I slot, and Microdrives (mini hard drives) and CF sized modems and similar devices are type II, they need the extra dimension to fit everything in.

Hi speed and Ultra Hi Speed are "relative" terms for how quickly you can save and read to/from the memory. It may have an effect on how quickly you can take shots in theory.

As far as i know there is not a defined standard behind the speed rating?

As to the limit for use in a camera, it's possible some cameras will only address up to a certain size, I use a 1GB (1,000 MB) sized CF memory card in my camera just fine though.
Your camera manual should tell you of any limitation.

There is a warning with my camera (Fuji S602) that not all CF cards will work in it, but I have not struck one yet that wont.
The camera is designed for a microdrive, but CF is cheaper for large sizes of memory.
Take your camera into the shop when you buy, and try it.

vamosalaplaya
14-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks Godfather,
well explained... even I can understand it now.

Julia

Fire-and-Ice
15-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Excellent information and explanantion godfather but do tell, how do you know everything? Your crystal ball cant be that good. ;-)

fergie
15-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Check this site out for more info:
http://www.flashcards.co.nz/knowlege-base/index.html

they sell cards (i've brought from them b4 - no prob's)
http://www.flashcards.co.nz/

porpora
15-11-2003, 11:02 PM
thanks for the link...

prices seem pretty competative too. Might even be able to afford something big.

julia