PDA

View Full Version : AOL

sam m
14-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Does anyone here connect to AOL from NZ?

Need contact details if you do.

tks
Sam

segfault
14-11-2003, 09:38 AM
AOL as in the ISP or AOL Instant Messenger? I'm running AOL IM and its working fine.

stu140103
14-11-2003, 10:42 AM
> AOL as in the ISP or AOL Instant Messenger? I'm
> running AOL IM and its working fine.

I think sam m meant the ISP (sam m, please do clear this up for us :))

If that is the case, as far as I am aware you cannot get/connect to AOL from NZ.

Note: I am might be wrong here, but I think 100% sure, that I am correct.

sam m
14-11-2003, 11:09 AM
yeah it is the ISP America OnLine.

According to friend here in NZ. (I am getting this 3rd hand so little sketchy at this stage)

Friend connects via dial up to AOL. She is then able to connect to USA Stock Exchange (again not sure which one). However she is interested in getting jetstream and want to know if possible thru AOL. She has been told that she cannot use NZ ISP server to connect as they are not 'secure'.

any ideas

sam m

stu140103
14-11-2003, 11:40 AM
> However she is interested in getting jetstream and want to know if possible thru AOL.

I will have a shot here and take a guess to what you mean

I do not think that can be done, unless she gets AOL broadband, but you cannot get it here in NZ

>She has been told that she cannot use NZ ISP server to
> connect as they are not 'secure'.

What! ?:| That is the most %$%$ I have every heard

You might what to try and get some more information of your friend.

segfault
14-11-2003, 11:54 AM
> I do not think that can be done, unless she gets AOL
> broadband, but you cannot get it here in NZ

The only way I think it could work is if she did an international call to the USA. That would get expensive though.

agent
14-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Perhaps it's because not many New Zealand ISPs use secure dial-up networking (PAP, CHAP, etc) and require encryption on their links.

segfault
14-11-2003, 12:11 PM
That could be true. AOL have some kind of proprietary logon thing.

agent
14-11-2003, 12:23 PM
There is AOL Australia (http://www.aol.com.au)... not AOL NZ as far as I can determine. Found it on a mixed-mode music CD I've got.

So I'm assuming this person would indeed be paying expensive international phone call tolls. Surely you can access the US Stock Exchange from any connection? It'd be stupid to limit it to just AOL or US providers.