PDA

View Full Version : net icons not showing in tray.

beetle
14-11-2003, 09:14 AM
ok i seem to be hooked to the net but i have no icons in the tray to say im connected how then apart from physically pulling cable am i suposed to disconect? as when i click on dial up its not saying im connected?

but i am as im writing this and getting emails? whats going on?

this is work puter, all system seems to be running ok...????
mailwasher working avg etc all ok...

beetle

CYaBro
14-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Is it definately using dial-up? You aren't on a network at work using a router or shared internet connection are you?

What operating system?

beetle
14-11-2003, 09:33 AM
yes definitely on dial up, its just not showing up anywhere im actually conected and all these things are working fine.

XP,

main thing im struggling with is how to dosconnect ? pull the plug? LOL

beetle

CYaBro
14-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Have you tried going to Control Panel - Network Connections and checking the properties there of the dial-up connection? Should also be able to right-click and select disconnect from there.

If it thinks it is diconnected but you know it's not then probably best to restart the PC and the modem will disconnect.

beetle
14-11-2003, 09:54 AM
but its telling me im disconnected?

but you are getting this are you not?

so i cant be disconnected?

i cant shut the puter down at moment either,

beetle

CYaBro
14-11-2003, 10:11 AM
What if you tell it to dial up? Does it say that the modem is all ready in use?

Unplug the cable if you want. Wait about 10 seconds and plug it back in.

beetle
14-11-2003, 10:16 AM
when i hit connect / password etc the box disapeers.

its not telling its in use or anything...

weird.

ok will disconnect and see what happens....

thanxs

beetle

tommy
14-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Try going to Start, My Network Places, View Network Connections, right click on your dialup ISP, choose Properties, and under the General tab ensure there is a tick in "Show icon in notification area when connected."

beetle
10-12-2003, 01:36 PM
hi ya people,
long time no see....

im still having this problem, on the work pc....

i try to connect, and think im not so try again and nothing happens, and then i find out i am connected but it hasnt said connected at sucha nd such speed etc, and does not show net icons in tray....again.
last time this happened i just unplugged it and it disconected, this time i have found it has shown up in network connections as connected just cant work out whyy net icons wont show?
and yes show icons is ticked.
i shut it down after the last time and it worked ok but now it doesnt?

have not used this one since last time i had this problem about a month ago, and it has not been shut down since then,
i have updated everything but am not well enough to handle doing a full fiddly shut down today....

so back to any ideas why it does this?????

thanxs

beetle

Susan B
10-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey Beetle :-)

I have no idea how you can bring back the little icons for your internet connection if you say that the box for them is ticked, but you should be able to disconnect from the internet, or check if you are online by going to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Your ISP and see the status in there/disconnect.

Jen C
10-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi Beetle :)

Just check that you haven't selected to always hide that icon the in tray somehow. Right-click on a empty part of the taskbar and select Properties. On the Taskbar tab under Notification area click the "Customise .." button. Scroll down the list until until you see the network icon. Does it say under Behaviour "Always Show" or "Hide when inactive"? Click it once to highlight it which should cause a drop-down arrow to appear. Select "Always show" and then Click OK.

Susan B
10-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Excellent point Jen, that could very well be the solution. :-)

I hope so anyway. :D

It is strange though, that my internet connection icon never hides itself even though it is set to do so.

beetle
10-12-2003, 09:24 PM
i fiddled around and cant work out why its doing it, its set to hide when inactive.

i got mad with it and shut the system down not in best frame of mind by then.....
(after doing updates anyway/ avg / etc) and waited to see what happened, and it popped up ok same as it did last time????

always worries me when i do that with people logged into the callista system, that they'll get lost or something....

so when i next check it, do you think it may disappear again?

so yeah dont know any more....

as i dont use the other puter that often for net work i always forget the little annoying things it does, till i go use it.....

beetle

kirrie kiwi
10-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Try System Restore

beetle
10-12-2003, 11:46 PM
um im not sure that such a drastic measure will help me...

for one detail,

and as it is a critical computer to our operations im not willing to stuff it up as i dont beleive the progs that run on it will appreciate it, it monitors all phone calls, accommodation/bookinns/ bookouts, extra charges etc, so if something decides to go wrong more $$$$ to fix.

i can live with this little glitch, but hopefully i have rectofied it, if not, ill deal with it then.

beetle

moldboy
13-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have exactly the same problem. Beetle if you still read this, did you fix it?

I connect to the internet via a shortcut on the desktop, or directly through the browser, it goes through the process, dialing....
then I can surf the net however the network icon doesn't show. I too am running win xp (home sp1).

I do not have the icon set to hide in the taskbar options, infact it isn't showing up as an option, even in the past icons location.
I do have the icon set to show
I have not resterted the PC but will try soon, even if it fixes it would still like to know why this happened.
I have created a new connection
I have tried almost every thing I can think of, although intresting thing It won't let we turn the windows firewall on.

Please HElllllllp

FoxyMX
13-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Try going to Start, My Network Places, View Network Connections, right click on your dialup ISP, choose Properties, and under the General tab ensure there is a tick in "Show icon in notification area when connected."
^^^
Did you try that?

moldboy
13-01-2005, 03:33 PM
yep

moldboy
13-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Change in events, restarting does resove the issue, however I still want to know what caused it.

FoxyMX
13-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Just a quirk of Windows probably. :D

johnboy
13-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Try these
roubleshooting missing network and dial-up connections icons
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329050&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826
How To Restore Icons That Have Been Removed from the Desktop in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279769&sd=tech
How to Enable or Disable the Dial-Up Networking Connection Icon on the System Tray
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286192
Some Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons May Be Missing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254631
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/networkmissing.htm
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3100/rh3147.htm

Try running the windows file checker. click start and in the run box type SFC /SCANNOW there is a space after sfc click o.k .It will ask for your installation cd if there is a problem.
hth