PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM AUDIO CABLE

Augustus
14-11-2003, 07:58 AM
I intend to install a second cd player on my computer. The dvd player already installed has an audio cable plugged into the mobo. There is only one audio plug on the mobo. How do I get sound from the cd player. Can I buy a splitter cable or will I need to buy a pci sound card with two audio plugs?

CYaBro
14-11-2003, 08:17 AM
You don't really need those audio cables anymore. They were only for playing an audio CD in analogue mode (win95 & win98 did this) but since windows ME audio CD's are usually played digitally, meaning that the PC reads the audio like data through the data cable so audio cable is not even used.

If you do need to play an audio CD "the old way" just play it in the DVD drive.

somebody
14-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Splitters are available if you want them - you can get them from somewhere like Dick Smith Electronics.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-11-2003, 09:27 PM
> You don't really need those audio cables anymore.

However if you don't use one, all the signal processing is handled in software - choking up the CPU.

PoWa
14-11-2003, 10:18 PM
So how do you tell Windows or the player to play the analogue audio cable signal rather than the digital sound. Possibly the analogue would sound slightly better??

beama
14-11-2003, 11:12 PM
maybe untidy but, most cdrom drives have a sound output jack on the front, run a cable from there to the input of your sound card or simply plugin headphones to the sound out jack on the front of the cdrom.

bmason
15-11-2003, 01:18 PM
You could plug it into "aux" if your motherboard has one.

If you already have two cables & have a soldering iron handy I have seen a wiring diagram out in google land that explains how to combine them.

But really, do you need to be playing from both drives at once?

Graham L
15-11-2003, 03:23 PM
For stereo, Brett. B-) (I think the intention is to use one drive at a time ... :D)

tweak\'e
15-11-2003, 08:13 PM
>So how do you tell Windows or the player to play the analogue audio cable signal rather than the digital sound.

you don't. you select the optoin in whatever media player you are useing.

not to sure whats the best but i just use the digital extraction due to the lead won't reach to my drives and my pc has heaps of speed to handle any extra workload.