PDA

View Full Version : Faxing

suethomo
13-11-2003, 10:41 PM
I am wishing to fax using windows xp. When I go to add windows components and click "fax services" I am asked to insert windows cd or copy file from an alternative location. Since I have a laptop that came with windows pre-installed and do not have a windows cd - where do I go to get these windows files? Any help appreciated.

godfather
13-11-2003, 11:10 PM
The .cab files that contain the XP operating system should be on a separate partition on your HDD. I recently purchased a laptop, which had XP pre-installed however it also came with a full copy of XP on a CD, bundled with the info and licence details.

One way or another you should have access to the cab files.

Thomas
14-11-2003, 06:43 AM
Trying to think why one would fax from a computer,maybe if the recipient didn't have one.

cyberchuck
14-11-2003, 07:14 AM
> Trying to think why one would fax from a computer,maybe if the recipient didn't
> have one.

Does that mean the recipient doesn't have a fax or a computer? Bit cloudly there..
Still haven't managed to figure out how you derived that information from the initial post, but yeah.
If 'The Recipient' didn't have one at home, it could be a work fax/computer?

CyberChuck

suethomo
14-11-2003, 07:31 AM
I am trying to send a fax from my laptop to someone who has a fax machine but not a computer.

Thomas
14-11-2003, 07:38 AM
>I am trying to send a fax from my laptop to someone who has a fax >machine but not a computer.

Sorry about that,I meant this scenario.

I was in this position once,unusual today I would have thought.

suethomo
14-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Its my parents in-law in the UK - older folk living in a thirld world country who have the fax but no computer!! - still not sure how to access the cab files though

CYaBro
14-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Do a search for a folder called i386 on all HDD partitions and hopefully it will find it. That's usually where the WinXP install files will be.

suethomo
14-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Found the i386 files and faxing working OK - many thanks.