PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream Games

bk T
13-11-2003, 07:43 PM
I never played online games (and don't intend to) and know very little about this subject. But a friend of mine just got his Jetstream installed and would like to go into online games.

He wishes to know whether playing online games will affect his Jetstream MB usage?

Could Jetstream gamers please advise me?

Cheers

cyberchuck
13-11-2003, 07:54 PM
If your friend connects to his normal ISP and then plays games on the JSG realm he will be charged bandwidth (assuming he gets charged for national bandwidth) and he will be limited to 128kbps for it.

On the other hand if he changes his username from user@isp.co.nz to user@jetstreamgames.co.nz and connects through that he will be on unlimited bandwidth at anywhere up to 8mbps. However, he will be limited to the JSG realm and the Paradise Gaming Servers.

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
13-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Just adding to that - if your friend uses a Router and has the ISP's DNS Servers set he may have troubles with the JSG connection due to it been limited to the JSG realm - so in other words, expect for your computer not to be able to find the ISP's DNS Servers.
What you have to do is change your DNS Servers to master.jetstreamgames.co.nz, or, some people tell their computers to use their router as a DNS Server so when their connection changes from JSG to the ISP and back to JSG the router automatically receives the DNS Settings from the appropriate servers and this saves having to change DNS Servers for different connections and so forth..

PoWa
13-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Just to elaborate on what CyberChuck said:

For the login if my isp is Paradise would be:

powa@paradise.net.nz
abc123 (password)

And if I wanted to get on the games realm I would connect the router/modem with:

powa@jetstreamgames.co.nz
abc123 (same password as ISP one).

Thats the only way it works for me, nothing else lets me connect. I remember trying lots of times trying to connect using user@jetstreamgames.co.nz which never worked. :^O

If your friend is really on Jetstream then they have very limited bandwidth which costs lots if you go over. So I highly recommend JSG Realm. If on JetStart I probably wouldn't bother too much with the JSG Realm except for files, BF1942, or if there are multiple people one your LAN. The ping doesn't change much at all and the games don't use much MB's of your limit.

bk T
13-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks, guys for all the info.

Cheers

Jester
14-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Your friend amy also like to look here:

http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/copyright1.htm

Just further info about data charges etc.

J
:D

sam m
15-11-2003, 05:53 AM
> Thats the only way it works for me, nothing else lets
> me connect. I remember trying lots of times trying to
> connect using user@jetstreamgames.co.nz which
> never worked. :^O

Strange as I connect using user@jetstreamgames.co.nz literally.
I leave my usual password in there and connect no problem.