PDA

View Full Version : What is a good printer for text and photos?

mejobloggs
13-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi. I am looking for a printer that can print good text, and good photos, at a cheap price.

I thought around the $300 mark, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

somebody
14-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Although I own an HP printer, I would recommend the Canon ones which have individual ink tanks. They really cut down on operating costs, even when you do buy the genuine cartridges.

CYaBro
14-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Yes, I was going to suggest the Canon i560. Awesome printer. May be a little bit more than what you wanted to pay, I think about $379 from most places.

I think it got best recommendation in Consumer mag a couple of months ago.

Bazza
14-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Yes, Mejob, I would agree with somebody & CyaBro.

After using a HP printer with the high cost of carts, I now have the Canon i320 & the i850 printers. Both are excellent, and carts costs are reasonable, especially the i850 with separate ink tanks. Print quality on both text & photo with the Canons is excellent.

The Canon i320 maybe discontinued, but replaced with similar. It was very reasonably priced.

For good photo printing, I've found the HP photo glossy 175G paper produces sparkling prints.

beama
14-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Hp are going to seperate ink tanks also. At least their newer models are.

peter.jonsson
15-11-2003, 01:17 AM
For Text, go for a cheap Laserjet. For Photos, use any online service to have them printed and sent to you via snailmail. Beats any cost of buying a Photoprinter + ink + paper

mejobloggs
13-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Bringing this up again. This time buying a printer for myself, other one was for cousin.

Just want to make someting clear, this time, I want a good printer for text, and GRAPHICS. Just needs to be able to print good graphics, but not photo quality.

Also, it has to be HP :-)
so that cuts out a lot.

And yes, I am looking at the HP website, but since I don't know a clue about printers, then I would like some other opinions

mejobloggs
13-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Oh, probably mainly text, but also text with graphics. Used for Home and Work, as my Dad works at home.

Whats the difference between Inkjet and LaserJet?

Needs good colour too.

mejobloggs
13-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Network use as well.

Graham L
13-01-2004, 03:34 PM
"difference between Inkjet and Laserjet"?

A Laserjet doesn't use ink, it uses toner. :D It's a "laser" (probably LED :D ) printer.

somebody
13-01-2004, 05:11 PM
I have found the HP 1210 Multifunction Printer very good, fast, crisp text. Cost me about $170+gst.

If you need colour, you will have to get Inkjet, as colour lasers are still outside your price margin (although they have decreased in price significantly over the past few years).

I would personally try to get one of the newer HP printers with the individual ink-tank system, to cut down on consumable costs.

mejobloggs
13-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Ok, thanks. I think I have made up my mind now.

gerrypics
14-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Hp 5160, Average price = about $225. 6 x 4 prints are photo quality even without the photo cartridge. A4s are about 95 % photo quality without the photo cartridge. With the photo cartridge the above sizes would take a microscope to tell the difference.

mejobloggs
16-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Eh, well, the sales person at Harvey Norman had great peruasive powers. We walked away with a Canon i865, which has the seperate ink tanks, and even a light black, and a dark black for shading in black and white printouts.

Very please with it.

Eorr
16-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Have read some interesting comments here. Theoretically it might be better to get colour prints done by professional people, but it's just no fun. And I reckon some of them are pretty rough too. I've got a Canon i model and it's changed my view on inkjet printers. I don't even have a digital camera, but I've had lots of fun printing colour pics at amazing quality - fiddle with pics and print 'altered' images etc etc - stuff you just wouldn't do unless you had your own printer to play with. It might cost you, but so does a Sunday drive. I remember buying a mono 300dpi inkjet printer for over $2,000! There's no reason not to buy one these days.

So as for the i865 - top choice, especially with sep ink tanks.
Have fun!