PDA

View Full Version : So i got a call from Woosh today....

Bender
13-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Apparently at 15GB a month I am more then doubling what they have now defined as reasonable usage... 7GB (10x their avg home user) wtf?? who the hell is paying $65 for under 1GB of traffic???

They didn't care that most my 15GB of traffic is national!!!!

I explained to the girl that called me (who obviously had little clue and kept calling GB MB) that what I consider reasonable usage, is that offered by their competition telecom (at least 10GB int, unlimited nat) and that i didnt appreciate forking out $450 for a modem $100 for a booster to find out 2months later that i was EXCEEDING WHAT THEY CONSIDER REASONABLE USAGE... at which point she tried to put me onto a tech. I said i would call back at a later date.

Anyone else in the same situation?

segfault
13-11-2003, 07:37 PM
They do say that if you use more than ten times the median usage (which is 750mb at the moment) then they will recommend a different plan. The only way to get around this is to get other people who use woosh to use more traffic :)

segfault
13-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Just in case you didn't understand that, the median usage is 750mb. Ten times that is 7500mb, which is what they consider reasonable usage.

Bender
14-11-2003, 10:10 AM
yes i understand, i would love to see their statistics that show 750MB is the average HOME broardband usage.

flyer590
14-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Keep in mind that median and average are different things. If just one Woosh customer doesn't use any MBs at all in one month (for whatever reason), that could drag the median down a lot.

agent
14-11-2003, 11:27 AM
If one user uses 0MB in a month, it'll pull the average down, but the median is pretty much smack bang between the two middle values.

Perhaps they should graph usage, take out the outliers, and do a line of best fit... or something

Greg S
14-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Dunno - 750 megs seems reasonable to me - I use the Internet constantly, and do a heck of a lot of online gaming, and seldom go over about 1.5 gigs

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-11-2003, 03:45 PM
> Perhaps they should graph usage, take out the
> outliers, and do a line of best fit... or something

They wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about for a start, let along doing it ;-)

Chilling_Silently
14-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Could that be because you use JSG Greg?

Ive done around 12-16 gigs so far this month :-(
Luckily its almost all national :-) (I'd be screwed with my 10 gig international limit if it wasnt)

Personally, my thoughts are.. They offer it as unlimited, so couldnt it be considered false advertising?

ilikelinux
14-11-2003, 04:52 PM
>Personally, my thoughts are.. They offer it as unlimited, so couldnt it be considered false advertising?

yeh.. unlimited upto when they call you and ban you from ther server!

segfault
14-11-2003, 06:21 PM
> Personally, my thoughts are.. They offer it as
> unlimited, so couldnt it be considered false
> advertising?

I'm don't think so. Woosh didn't actually charge him for his excess traffic. They simply recommended that he change to another plan. Besides, it says here (http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Commerce/Offer/ForHome/ForHome.aspx?OfferFamilyID=1) that "Unlimited" traffic is "Subject to reasonable use. All Home plan prices include GST."

segfault
14-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Just thought I'd mention that the Slingshot ADSL offering is sold under the same terms as Woosh (unlimited, but subject to reasonable usage).

Chilling_Silently
14-11-2003, 06:25 PM
So really its not unlimited... What "bigger" plan can you be on over "unlimited" ???

Greg S
14-11-2003, 09:03 PM
> Could that be because you use JSG Greg?

Good point Chilly, but nope... JSG servers don't often run (for the games I play), so most of my gaming uses my regular bandwidth

Bender
15-11-2003, 01:46 PM
given the amount you could theoretically download at 30k/s in one month (some 70GB), i would think that unlimited would tend to suggest that reasonable use would be anything under 60% of that value, not a measly 7GB!!!

agent
15-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Perhaps they're betting on customers only using four hours per day, a theoretical maximum of 12GB of data (going by Bender's calculations), instead of 24/7.

Chilling_Silently
15-11-2003, 02:33 PM
That'd count out people like myself who leave apps running 24/7 (MSN, ICQ, Jabber, Email, Downloads etc).

I still dont see how you can have a plan that offers more transfer than "unlimited"?!