PDA

View Full Version : mouse life.....

beetle
13-11-2003, 06:26 PM
you know you hear about the shelf life of something (usually food) but how long is the average life of a mouse?

how long should they last? mine gets a lot of use....hours a day +
and it is occasionally giving me grief, and its only a year old, should i replace it? and if so whats a good brand?

been told not to get another ball /roller mouse, and go for another sort, um cannot remember what sort off hand so bare with me on this one it may come to me today/ tomorow or never...we cant rush these things....

any input fine,

even saying what you use may help to.

beetle

ilikelinux
13-11-2003, 06:30 PM
if it is a ball mouse is, twist the bottom off and clean the rollers whit finger nails.

these can get ver dirty.

the ones at scholl, well i have to clean one every day......

metla
13-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Imo expensive mice aren't needed,i just retired a ms mouse that cost near 100 bucks,the new cheapy im using now feels just as good if not better.

(the type of mouse to get is an optical mouse)

godfather
13-11-2003, 06:52 PM
> so bare with me on this one it may come to me
> today/ tomorow or never...we cant rush these
> things....

I am sure there will be a stampede on PF1 to bare with you, however I will simple bear with you and also suggest an Optical mouse.

I presently use an A4 Tech Optical, was on "special" a year ago for $37. The paint has worn off the shell in places, but it still goes.

If I get a year of use from a mouse its fine. Usually the buttons stick or become erratic.

beetle
13-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Goddie ...... you really do like to jump on my spelling dont you...(and we wont go back in time to refer to other one ok?) :D

i did actually write/type bear to start with but thought it was wrong....

cant win,

optical? yes i think thats it, but what does that actually mean? when i think of optical i think glasses's (SP?) that you read with...

ok and we will not bare all with beetle, as beetle will not bare all at all,

be quiet beetle before i stuff up something else,

i regularly clean my mouse,

i talk to it lots :D language reinforcement is good for it i feel... :p

and yes i may go looking for that optical illusion of a mouse i need... at a cost i can afford...

thanxs

beetle

godfather
13-11-2003, 07:51 PM
You didn't really expect to get away with that one? :)

Optical refers to the way the mouse senses movement.

It has a mini "camera" underneath it, and takes about 1500 pictures per second of a small area of the surface, and can work out if there is any movement from one "picture" relative to the next. It uses a bright LED light source to illuminate the area.

Its not the sort of "camera" that will take real pictures though, so your dress habits while surfing will remain a secret ...

beetle
13-11-2003, 07:56 PM
bugger....

:p

thanxs Goddie, do you have a approximate price range i may be looking at then?
and i never expect anything, youre less likely to be disapointed that way.
but yeah if i stuff up i expect to get jumped on...

:D
beetle

godfather
13-11-2003, 08:13 PM
The A4 Tech is very good value still.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1893

They have 2 scroll wheels, and I have become very used to having one scroll up and down and the other left and right. Its all user selectable, a driver disk comes with the mouse.

$37 including GST at present, ($28.13 trade price incl. but you probably can't access that pricing structure)

They seem to last OK. At that price I might buy a spare one.

Thomas
13-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Enjoy optical precision with this sleek and efficient 5 Button Programmable Mouse. Style and Optical technology converge for your System

$37 at Dick Smiths.

godfather
13-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Preview would be a good habit to get into. The link still works though.

beetle
13-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanxs Goddie

may have a nosy tomorow if allowed out...

beetle

WalOne
13-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Grandfather (sorry, GODfather), and Beetle!!!

Such innuendo in a family forum! (makes reproachful; sounds as in the Novus windscreen ad "show us ~"

gerrypics
13-11-2003, 10:13 PM
"How long is a mouse life"

Ask Puss

stu140103
13-11-2003, 10:21 PM
> "How long is a mouse life"
>
> Ask Puss

heheh, nice one :D :D

beetle
13-11-2003, 10:26 PM
meeoow.....

beetle

gerrypics
13-11-2003, 11:03 PM
'Ruff, Ruff"

Thomas
14-11-2003, 06:29 AM
>meeoow.....

>beetle

Never heard a beetle meeoow b4;)

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fb3bf530a3b708c273fc0a87f99074b/Export/catalogs/CTG0000096

beetle
14-11-2003, 09:10 AM
sssssssh beetle indisguise T...

what am i looking at for the link????

a mouse? LOL ok so we have talked about cats, mice, dogs, and beetles mmmm interesting topics ?????

i feel its going to be one of those days.... a very non productive day on its merry way....

beetle

Winston001
14-11-2003, 09:29 AM
At this very moment I am using a Genius optical 5 button mouse I purchased a few days ago at Harvey Norman for $29.95.

We are very canny in the South. :D

beetle
14-11-2003, 09:36 AM
well we have a Hardly normal shop just opened up here to so may have an excuse to go have a nosy then.... thanxs W001 youre a doll...

and also DSE today, wow a bit radical today too much shopping,
may not be a good mix for beetle leave the check book at home ..... :8}

beetle

beetle
14-11-2003, 09:48 AM
this may sound a bit silly but do you really think i need one of those fandangled things with so many buttons?
opitcal sounds good but the amount of buttons may not be used is there something more simple for me to use out there?????

remember beetle is not a great mix with electric components and simple may be better and last longer with less to go wrong on it.

yes ? no?

beetle

tommy
14-11-2003, 10:29 AM
> this may sound a bit silly but do you really think i need one of those
> fandangled things with so many buttons?
> opitcal sounds good but the amount of buttons may not be used is there
> something more simple for me to use out there?????

No, you do not have to use all the buttons. Just don't install the drivers for them from the floppy disk supplied. If you see a comfortable optical mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel for a good price that will be fine but if one with five buttons is the same price buy that and ignore the extra buttons. I have an optical Genius NetScroll mouse that I like very much but only use the left and right buttons and the scroll wheel. Thus an ordinary Genius optical mouse with a scroll wheel would have done the job. One thing to note is to get a PS2 version NOT a USB version.

beetle
14-11-2003, 10:35 AM
whats the difference ?

will this help me in long run?

thanxs

beetle

tommy
14-11-2003, 10:47 AM
The difference is that USB devices can sometimes be a little troublesome. PS2 plugs are more reliable overall.

Scouse
14-11-2003, 11:11 AM
beetle
I have a neat Genius two button, one wheel, Optical. Cost $24 last year.
All you need.

MrBeef
14-11-2003, 11:24 AM
my mouse is about 2 years old now..i bought it at Dargaville Fielddays for about 40 or so bucks

they call it a 4D Browser Mouse, it has scroll and 2 side buttons.
Occasionally the rollers will lock, but a good smacking and it squeaks back into place :)

it also helps if you keep your mouse pad clean

somebody
14-11-2003, 11:42 AM
You can get optical mice for about $20 nowadays.

agent
14-11-2003, 12:05 PM
I've got an MS optical mouse... got it for around $25 when it was reduced from $70 or something (intended for OEM use - aren't NZ computer retailers dodgy). USB, but comes with a PS2 adapter, which I am currently using.

Personally I really don't think USB devices crap out sooner, or else I wouldn't have a working scanner, USB memory drive, or mouse and keyboard. If there is any evidence, I will acknowledge that, but how you treat your device and the brand you get can have an effect (though as we have seen, the $100 mice aren't necessarily the best). Eg, the USB keyboard I used was a Chicony one, and Chicony is a very good brand. Except currently I'm using a PS2 one because of issues when booting into Linux setup, same with the mouse.

beetle
14-11-2003, 02:32 PM
ok thanxs guys, will have a look going out shortly.....

lucky me.

beetle

Thomas
14-11-2003, 05:49 PM
For $30 odd just get one an worry about it's efficacy later.

I have communicated less when doing major brain surgery;)

tweak\'e
14-11-2003, 06:01 PM
my $0.02 worth.

i just get genius mice these days. i've had the expencive microsoft mouse. it was nice but at the rate i go through mice they are just to expensive. the netscrolls seem good enough for gameing.

the only thing to watch is with some systems (PCcompany exspecially for some werid reason) is the extra mouse buttons work even tho they don't have the drivers installed. i usually have to install MS mouse drivers so i can go turn off the annoying side buttons.

mark.p
14-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Tend to agree. Anytthing with MS branded tends to be overpriced. I'm using a Genius 2 button ball mouse on my OS/2 box (while my RH Linux box is updating) and its smoother than any other brand I've used and comparable to any balless mouse I've used. A mouse without a ball is just not on at all. How on earth can they propergate ;). Sorry, couldn't resist........

beetle
14-11-2003, 06:33 PM
ok guys to put you and Thomas out of your misery, i went shopping and have a optical genius power scroll mouse, so much better than my other pc co mouse, smoother and more responsive,

in the $30 - $40 price bracket, at Harvey Normals...... :D
(didnt have time for DSE today)

shoulda done this ages ago,

easy to use easy to set up..

thanxs all much appreciate the help, and advice,

beetle

mark.p
14-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Glad you enjoy your mouse beetle ;) Carefull the cat doesn't get too green eyed with you playing with a rodent :)

Thomas
14-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Now about your keyboard;)

agent
14-11-2003, 07:22 PM
The main reason Microsoft mice are overpriced is because they aren't produced in Asia, they're made in the US of A.

mark.p
14-11-2003, 07:53 PM
> The main reason Microsoft mice are overpriced is
> because they aren't produced in Asia, they're made in
> the US of A.

So MS can sell the XBox below cost but not mice?

beetle
14-11-2003, 08:56 PM
but i didnt get a ms one guys...
and T whats wrong with my keyboard.... :p

its not the keyboard alone tis the whole beeped thing.... (its fine metla)

beetle

Megaman
14-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Optical Mouse for $28 (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fb48bc303226ef2273fc0a87f990745/Product/View/XH5117)

Megaman
14-11-2003, 09:09 PM
> Anytthing with MS branded tends to be
> overpriced.

hell yeah. i bought a 2 button wheel microsoft mouse for $35. a week later i saw another mouse for $8! the moral of the story, look both ways before talking to strangers or else you could poke an eye out. especially ones you dont know. also, dont buy microsoft! shop around!

Thomas
14-11-2003, 09:38 PM
>and T whats wrong with my keyboard....

It's just that if per chance it was faulty and asked for advice it could go on for weeks,so I am glad to hear all is well.;)

beetle
14-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Thomas > :p

if you dont like my posts, dont read them....... :D

beetle

PoWa
14-11-2003, 11:35 PM
We have an expensive cordless, optical, Microsoft mouse here at the moment, and its very unreliable. Its hooked up with USB and XP home but the movements are pretty erratic or very slow at times. No way would I use one of these for gaming. Also having batteries in them is a money drain, unless you get two sets of rechargeables and are prepared to change them, and recharge them on a regular basis. Also the mouse does not work from Partition Magic 8 bootdisks, no real USB support without windows. I'd actually be surprised if it worked in linux to be honest.

On the other hand my A4 Tech optical mouse (not cordless) works very well. Got it for under $40 about a year ago and still going strong. After going optical you will never want to go back to primitive mouseball technology - its nothing short of horrible. ;)

I hope they come out with some glove type of thing you wear on your hand to replace the mouse in future (As seen on Minority Report). For games you could shape your hand as if it was holding a hand gun, with index finger as trigger, and rotate your wrists etc and it would move the characters field of view and aim accordingly. Idea Copyright (C) 2003. Powa.

PoWa
14-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Oh also, does anyone find the 'click' sound when they click the mouse button annoying??? I wish they would make the thing do silent clicks!!

Also the resistance on the scroll wheel where you rotate it a notch, and you can feel it stopped there. Also some useless scroll mice make a noise when rotating the scroll wheel as well. I wish they would implement smooth scrolling mouses that just keep on scrolling smoothly, ie no notches. Also no sound!!

beetle
14-11-2003, 11:45 PM
thanxs all,

getting back to this price bit, i was looking at a lot of mice? mouse ? today and they went from one end of the scale $15.00 up to $250 and most of them were optical that i saw, and the range and styles were quite amazing, the ones i thought looked stupid ( shape wise) were supposed to be good for your wrists, but were a little up in the price bracket, (i did not get one). while the wireless ones looked really weird as well flat disk shaped ones i saw, and the top end of price was wireless with its own base set for charging (plug into wall i guess?) and a it looked like a miniture space ship.

i feel i made the right choice for me going by comfort and ease of use, just got to remember its not so bad to use as the ball mouse i had,
habit i guess, and cost was slightly more than i wanted to spend but i got a good mouse i think for my money.

and as with all beetle items we will see how long they last, before i do lasting damage to it.

:D

beetle

Elephant
15-11-2003, 12:24 AM
My Microsoft Optical USB ( with PS2 adapter ) does all you ask PoWa.

About three years old and still working.

This one cost me slightly over $100 but that was some time ago. The two companies I use for a mouse would be Microsoft or Logitec due to the ergonomic design. B4 you ask.... Yes I do buy them for others like my Mother for example.

Having said that I also have no complaints with other optical mouses ( or should that be mice? )

As an aside like off topic.... What a pain the English language is.
One House Two Houses. One Mouse and Two Mouses. Or:-
One House Two Hice. Two Mice isn't it.
We get words like Plough pronounced plow but Rough isn't pronounced row. And to be more of a pain row can be pronounced as row ( the argument ) or row ( the boat )

If the "clicks" you hear are coming through the sound card then use the control panel to turn off program events sounds. This may be coming through a Theme you use for example.

When I want to scroll through a document I can push down on the scroll wheel then move the mouse down a bit. It's hands off from there as the whole document can be read without me touching the mouse again until the end of document. You usually find that mouse buttons are programmable and just I use the defaults for my mouse as it suits me fine.

For Beetle I would recommend any optical mouse. If USB I still would buy the adapter to work with the PS2 port.

PoWa
15-11-2003, 02:09 AM
I'm not talking about event sounds from windows... I'm talking about the mechanical 'click' you here when the button is pressed and it springs back up. I wish they would do away with that.

Also your mousewheel can you just keep scrolling it really fast with your finger, and it not make any sound at all?? Like silent?

metla
15-11-2003, 02:22 AM
> I'm not talking about event sounds from windows...
> I'm talking about the mechanical 'click' you here
> when the button is pressed and it springs back up. I
> wish they would do away with that.
>
> Also your mousewheel can you just keep scrolling it
> really fast with your finger, and it not make any
> sound at all?? Like silent?

Matter of taste i guess, personally i like the crisp little click my mouse buttons make, I also like the ridge in the scroll wheel, Mine is set up to scroll 7 lines of text between each notch so it works well in that regard.

I do agree about the scroll wheel making noise though, that would be a good reason to bin the mouse, although when i want to do some speed scrolling its easiest to just hold the mouse wheel down and move the mouse, end up skating to the bottom of the page in record time....

Thomas
15-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Not quite enough detail there Powa,we need to know what operating system you are using and what sound card;)

Fire-and-Ice
15-11-2003, 08:14 PM
> i just get genius mice these days. i've had the
> expencive microsoft mouse. it was nice but at the
> rate i go through mice they are just to expensive.
> the netscrolls seem good enough for gameing.

How many mice do you go thru each year? And how on earth do you wear them out so fast?? One of mine is an original MS ball mouse still going strong after 5 years.

Oh, and one more plug for a Genius optical, I wouldn't have any other now. ;-)

tweak\'e
15-11-2003, 08:34 PM
i wore the pads off the MS mouse but its still working ok n another pc and i prefer thae genius for gaming. i think its about 3-4 a year at the mo. tho it does vary a bit. gaming kills em pretty quick. the last one i wore out the centre scroller. i'm trailing the optical which seems to work ok in games.

Fire-and-Ice
15-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Cor, pretty hard on your gear aren't ya? ;-)

Wonder who else goes thru mice as quick as that?

agent
15-11-2003, 11:30 PM
I mucked up a keyboard playing Quake 3 all the time...

The A, S, D, and W keys became so that you had to press them extra hard when typing... must've been hitting them a bit too hard ;)