PDA

View Full Version : MS security email update patch scam ....

beetle
13-11-2003, 04:23 PM
LOL i got a email !!!!

saying it is from MS security prog or some some such thing.... LOL
talking about latest net critical updates / upgrades.... need to download urgently...

and i havent had one of these stupid things for ages, was feeling left out with all other pf1 people talking about them,
so is this the latest in scams or virus dity's thats going around???

and dont worry i didnt touch it....

beetle

ilikelinux
13-11-2003, 04:31 PM
feeling left out????

Thought you would be glad!

drcspy
13-11-2003, 04:31 PM
yes it's a sucker trap

microsoft DONT email folks with security warnings/patches.........if your system is set up correctly it will automatically notify you of new available MS downloads.........

I mean.........think about it.........is MS gonna email EVERYONE in the world who has a net connection and usese windoze ????????.,......hahah .......NOT

mark.p
13-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the club beetle. Just veiwing the e-mail could infect your system. No its probably not new. Btw how did you get on with Open Office?

beetle
13-11-2003, 04:34 PM
did a little digging and had a look through mailwasher, and apparently Xtra spam /virus alerted it to say it had an atachment which the WORM / SWEN virus was detected and deleted, so that means Xtra is on the job....

so its deleted, and blacklisted, all good.

the header sorta gives it away but the email addy that its using should be a big hint for all people (i hope)

beetle

beetle
13-11-2003, 04:40 PM
just a note here i did not open it just going by what mailwasher info told me.

and aw shucks guys, :8} thanxs for looking out for me.

not that id want a virus of corse but one does wonder when people talk about the amount of spam they get and i get nowhere near as much as most and i have a email addy on the net constantly for work, which makes me think id get more???

beetle