PDA

View Full Version : Software which tracks what is installed

somebody
13-11-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm regularly frustrated when I install software, and when I uninstall it, it leaves traces of the program left on my computer. It seems to make my computer run slower than usual, and since I regularly try (and then decide I don't like) software and then uninstall it, my computer can get quite cluttered with remains of programs (random files in the Windows directory).

Is there such a program out there which tracks every file/registry entry which is "installed" onto my computer, so that it can remove them afterwards?

I know a program like that can be used for criminal purposes (eg. software piracy - to some extent), however that is not what I intend to use it for. I may be stepping on a very thin line asking a question like this - but please don't take it the wrong way.

somebody
13-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I know it is possible to simply create a drive image of my hard drive and restore it whenever I please, but it is a hassle.

Graham L
13-11-2003, 04:40 PM
That's a perfectly reasonable and legal requirement. :D It ought to be bloody compulsory. I'm pretty sure there are such things ... but it must be a diabolically difficult thing to get right, becuase the target keeps moving --- the OS is modifying itself all the time --- the worst culprit being that damned registry.

metla
13-11-2003, 04:44 PM
System mechanic does exactly that.

somebody
13-11-2003, 04:53 PM
It does???

-[Finds demo verison on CD...]-

somebody
13-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Also managed to stumble upon this:

http://www.epsilonsquared.com/installwatch.htm

Still downloading it though.