PDA

View Full Version : Are there PS2 to USB adapters available?

Billy T
13-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Earlier this year I bought a Fellowes Micro-Trac USB trackball device from Harvey Norman for running PowerPoint presentations from my laptop and although primarily USB, it came with a neat little USB to PS2 adapter.

A friend saw it and wants one too, but HN don't have them now. DSE and Jaycar stock the identical device as a house brand but in PS2 only.

The USB to PS2 adapter is clearly a passive device that does a simple pin to pin conversion so the reverse should work equally well, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Do simple PS2 to USB adapters exist ?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

CYaBro
13-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Um.. bit confusing.

Which way are you wanting to go?

Convert a USB device to plug into PS2 port

or

Convert a PS2 device to plug into USB port?

Graham L
13-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Doubt it, Billy. :D PS/2 is a straight out synchronous serial protocol. USB is quite a complicated protocol (probably with dedicated processors in the devices). I am picking that any PS/2-USB device will have the chips for both protocols and can handle whatever it sees.

But I don't think that a plain PS/2 device will work plugged into a USB port; it won't have the brains. (You could make the adapter yourself: Jaycar have the USB plugs, and the miniDIN PS/2 sockets)

somebody
13-11-2003, 04:27 PM
They do exist, I just don't know if you can buy them individually. I've got a USB mouse which has a USB to PS2 adaptor so it can plug into my PS2 port.

somebody
13-11-2003, 04:38 PM
I suppose this would work:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fb2fc5c05cb3db6273fc0a87f99071c/Product/View/XH6809

DSE Code: XH6809

Billy T
13-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks Graham

The USB to PS2 adapter seems to be a simple pin for pin device, that is why I asked. I figured that if a USB mouse could communicate directly via a PS2 socket then a PS2 mouse should be able to communicate via USB. No drivers were involved for the former, but on reflection I have a serial to USB adapter that did require drivers so maybe there is more to it than I expected.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bmason
13-11-2003, 05:49 PM
I think its the same story as the PS2->Serial converters, the mouse itself needs to support it.

Then again, I wouldn't be supprised if they can fit some kind of magic in the converter. Why not find a cheap mouse that includes one and try? (eg DSE $29 optical).

godfather
13-11-2003, 05:51 PM
AFAIK the "smarts" are built into the device (such as the mouse) which may recognise whats afoot, and communicate accordingly?

That would allow pin-to-pin simplicity of the adapter.

The mouse I use has a USB to PS2 converter.
If you try to use another USB device (including a USB only mouse) it clearly doesn't work.

CYaBro
14-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Yep, you're right godfather.

I have 2 mice here.

1st is a Microsoft Optical mouse in beige colour and has a USB plug and comes with a USB - PS2 adaptor. So this mouse works in either USB or PS2 port

2nd is a Microsoft Optical mouse in black and has a USB plug but doesn't come with a USB - PS2 adaptor. So this mouse only works in USB port. Using the Microsoft USB - PS2 adaptor that came with the other mouse doesn't work with this mouse.

Billy T
14-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks GF & CB

The Fellowes is definitely a intellectually challenged mouse, in that it requires no drivers etc, so the DSE/Jaycar PS2 only versions are likely to be even less able (probably Australian). ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Graham L
18-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Billy ... There is a clever Belkin adapter which will plug into USB and take a PS/2 mouse and a keyboard. Just saw one in Harvey Norman's for $39.95 . But it's not just a few connectors ...they've got some intelligence "in the wire".