View Full Version : splitter cards/cables

13-11-2003, 03:50 PM
does anyone know of some hardware that plugs onto your graphics card and lets you plug in more than 2 monitors? also, are there any 'y' splitters that you plug in 2 lots of speakers. i know of a belkin one, but it is only in the U.S.plus are there any screen extension cables?

13-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Use this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fb2f29b040f6c46273fc0a87f990719/Product/View/P6525) for plugging in 2 sets of speakers.

As for the monitors, I'm not sure if you can still buy them but I've got 2 boxes that allow up to 4 monitors to run simulitaneously off your graphics card. Must be able to buy from somewhere but couldn't see anything on DSE's site.

Billy T
13-11-2003, 04:03 PM
You need a special graphics card to run two monitors properly, though I wouldn't be surprised if you could run two off one card provided you could procure/make a Y adapter.

Splitters for speakers are available from DSE, as are screen extension cables. Other suppliers are Jaycar and Pudney & Lee. Screen extensions are not hard to find.


Billy 8-{)

13-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Screen extension cable (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fb2f463046430ca273fc0a87f99071d/Product/View/XH6789)

Graham L
13-11-2003, 04:09 PM
There are problems with video splitters ... you can very quickly run out of synchronisation signal. It's the old terminate/bridge problem. The boxes I have seen (usually in advertisments in APC ;-)) have been distribution amplifiers, which produce clean copies of the signals at each port.

I have seen plain cable VGA splitters (even in DSE, I think) you would need to be lucky for them to work ... especially with the bandwidths needed for modern screen video.