PDA

View Full Version : Fedora - at first glance

Jen C
13-11-2003, 02:11 PM
I have just installed Fedora and thought I would do a little blurb about it for those that are interested :)

For those who don't know, Fedora 1.0 (Yarrow) was originally going to be Red Hat 10. But Red Hat has changed its direction and is looking at the Red Hat Enterprise for its future. Red Hat 10 was handed over to the community to develop and grow, and therefore was renamed to Fedora. Read more here at Fedora Project (http://fedora.redhat.com/).

Fedora was released on November 5th for general availability and consists of a 3 CD set which can be downloaded for free. If you are interested in downloading the ISO's yourself you can find them on this local mirror (ftp://debian.co.nz/Fedora/). Don't try this on dial-up unless you have several days to kill :D

Fedora uses the same installation program Anaconda that Red Hat used and gives you the option of running a Media Check of the installation disks before using them. The installation process as per usual for Anaconda is easy to follow. This time, you don't get the option of choosing between GRUB or LILO, it was GRUB or "other". It picked up my current Red Hat 9 installation and I was given the option of upgrading this to Fedora Core 1 which would of retained all my personal files, and I also had the choice of retaining current Linux partitions. However, I was after a clean install so I wiped the whole disk to start afresh. All my hardware was detected first pop, except for my monitor (Likom) which always ends up as a generic monitor.

Next up was the installation type - this was the same set-up that Red Hat used - Personal Desktop (1.9GB), Workstation (2.4GB), Server (870MB) or Custom (5.3 GB [everything]). I went for the Workstation type as a base-line and then added my own additional selections (including KDE and all its components) and ended up with an installation size of 3GB. The complete package list can be seen here (http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/package-list/)

It was only at the very end of the installation process that I was prompted to create a user account, unlike previous Red Hat installation where you could add you user account at the same time you are setting up the root account details.

GNOME is the default desktop environment and KDE is not loaded unless you specificially select it. I like my KDE so choose this to boot into. The desktop loaded smoothly and was presented with this - Fedora KDE (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/uploaded/fedora.jpg). Have to confess, I find the default desktop somewhat ugly and clunky looking, and those whom are accustomed to WinXP it all its candied glory might find it a bit disappointing. At least until you get to work on customising it ...! :D. This is the desktop now - Post personalising KDE (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/uploaded/fedora_mod.jpg). Evolution is the default email client and Mozilla the browser.

Before I candied up my desktop (this is probably making die-hard CLI Linux guru's cringe :p), my first goal was to get samba up and running so that I could transfer all my backup up files and applications off the WinXP machine. This took only a matter of minutes and the smb.conf file is much improved with helpful examples and guidelines :)

One other thing which is immediately noticable, is that during the bootup you now have a default graphical interface once the kernel has loaded. Unless you select "show details", all the services loading and other bits and pieces are hidden from sight and you just get to look at a soothing image of a computer until the desktop starts loading :D

So overall, the Fedora interface is still remarkably similar to Red Hat 9 on the surface except for having the latest/greatest applications and a few other things which I have yet still to find.

This was only meant to be a quick blurb on my initial impression of Fedora as I still have heaps to learn! Hopefully people considering whether to try out Linux will find this helpful.

Just need to sort out my nvidia drivers now ....

metla
13-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Um.....Is there any chance someone on this forum could burn em to cd and mail them to me?

Ill pay for any costs involved,and give out copies to anyone in the wanganui area who wants them.

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Interesting..... Could be a worthwhile upgrade to my RH9 installation, (and to think I just printed off the 304 page RedHat 9 Reference Guide :D:p).

**Goes off to find the mirror**

Cheers

nz_liam

Jen C
13-11-2003, 04:46 PM
> Um.....Is there any chance someone on this forum could burn em to cd and mail them to me?

I can send you the set, just post a disposible email addy here and I will contact you for further details :)

metla
13-11-2003, 04:50 PM
awesome.

metla25@hotmail.com

rmcb
25-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Can I have a set burnt as well?????
rmcb at linuxmail dot org
Cheers