PDA

View Full Version : code 5 error

albatross
13-11-2003, 01:11 PM
just tried installing spyaware....aborted due to code 5 error.....seems to be in system 32\ msinet.ocx.....could someone enlighten me on this please....I`m running XP.....also have on board ...mailwash..webwasher....ad aware...would one of these affect the install....do I need spyaware as well or should I not bother.....I`m a learner so any advice will be welcome.
thanks

tommy
13-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Never heard of Spyaware? Do you mean Spybot? Spybot Search and Destroy is an excellent program to have if you suspect you have spyware on your computer. It complements AdAware. You could try downloading another copy and installing that in case your downloaded one is corrupted.

godfather
13-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Seconding tommy on that issue, a good mix is Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware.

I have no experience of SpyAware, its not as popular as the other 2.

There can be issues where one spyware cleaner will recognise other spyware cleaner definition files as files to be removed, but a sanity check of where they are located is not hard. (If they are in AdAware directories for instance, they will belong to AdAware)

The Error code 5 may be particular to SpyAware, so you would need to research the SpyAware help files or website to find what the problem related to.

albatross
13-11-2003, 03:13 PM
thanks for that.....its actually called spyware blaster..probably don`t need it but was looking for a security system that I can understand......I`ll stick with what I have until I know more....
Thanks again

tommy
13-11-2003, 06:35 PM
> its actually called spyware blaster..probably don`t need it but was looking for a security system that I can understand.

That is a good program to use to prevent spyware being installed. Recommended.

albatross
13-11-2003, 07:20 PM
thanks Tom you obviously know what I`m on about.I was thinking it`s better to stop any spyware from entering my PC ,than spending time getting it out,this seemed to me like a good program to achieve this.I`m still am in the dark as to whether it`s another program stopping it from installing,hence the need for feedback.
Thanks.

tommy
13-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Sorry, I completely forgot about your original problem in the quest to identify the program you were trying to install. Try having a look at this page (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=34;action=display;threadid=5169) and see if it is of any help. Please post back with your results, whether successful or not.

albatross
13-11-2003, 09:00 PM
thanks tom for that.I had a look and will try it out tomrrow...will post when I`ve sorted it.Once again Thanks.

MrBeef
13-11-2003, 09:17 PM
backwards apostrophes ?? ```````` ''''''''

albatross
13-11-2003, 09:46 PM
error 5 was a file missing from the download itself......scrolling down the page would have saved a lot of typing .......have now READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ,downloaded the extra file...problem solved...be interesting to see how well this program works,so shall start testing it vigorously.....

Ty tom for your help....cheers