PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of some good computer shops in Palmerston North?

mejobloggs
13-11-2003, 10:05 AM
My cousin is wanting a computer, but he is moving down to Palmerston North. He was going to buy one in Auckland, but then he wouldnt be able to get support for it with the warranty and stuff like that.

Anyone know of some good, trusty, computer shops there?

Looking for quality, good service and all the rest.

Thanks

whetu
13-11-2003, 10:09 AM
inhouse and only inhouse.

http://www.inhouse.co.nz/

the alternatives are dse (*guffaw*) big byte (the PN big byte guys seem to think it's amusing to give a customer bad advice, a run around wild goose chase and bad service), advantage (been there once to help my boss' wife get a new pc, service was good, advice given was HORRIBLY bad, needless to say the salesman got a piece of my mind) and a few other smaller players

mejobloggs
13-11-2003, 10:13 AM
thanks

metla
13-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Ive dealt with inhouse before and they are pretty good,Stangely enough i have also managed to give a salesman at advatage a piece of my mind after being told the gf2mx they had it stock had the same performence as the g4 i was after.

And i had only called in on a whim.

If better prices are what your after and your prepared to go a small distance afeild from Palmy(wanganui) then my stuff is cheaper.Ignore the preconfigured systems on their,the better deal is a custom build.

www.computermedic.co.nz

so,does anyone else think i have endorsed myself too many times over the last couple days already?

........................HA

somebody
13-11-2003, 10:36 AM
> so,does anyone else think i have endorsed myself too
> many times over the last couple days already?

Read the "New Rule" in Bruce Buckman's post.

metla
13-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah, i already read that,just waiting for my slap on the hand.

Bout time i moved on anyway.....

mejobloggs
13-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Sorry about my ignorance, but how far away from Palmerston North is Wanganui?

Does that inhouse place off any other graphics cards than Geforce FX?

I am looking for a Geforce 4 Ti, but they only have FX, which im not happy with.

metla
13-11-2003, 11:39 AM
45 minutes by car.

The g4ti is disapearing off suppliers lists at an alarming rate.

whetu
13-11-2003, 12:07 PM
>> Does that inhouse place off any other graphics cards than Geforce FX?

email them and find out.. or consider a radeon *suspenseful gasp* ;)

mejobloggs
13-11-2003, 12:25 PM
They dont seem to have radeon either. I will have to email.

Why are G4 Ti going? I think they are better than FX, untill 5700 comes out maybe.

TazzieNZ
13-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Well just to go against the trend,

I would not recommend inhouse, I wont say why on a public forum ... but I have repaired a couple of their machines. They might be OK if he specifies the exact components he wants.

Also in Palmy be prepared to pay a premium, most of the retailers here are overpriced.

It really depends what sort of system he is looking for, soho wise advantage are actually very good, companies don't get to where they are by not knowing their stuff .. just not big into gaming systems.

mejobloggs
13-11-2003, 06:05 PM
> It really depends what sort of system he is looking
> for, soho wise advantage are actually very good,
> companies don't get to where they are by not knowing
> their stuff .. just not big into gaming systems.

Can you send me a link please?

What I am wanting is something like this:

Athlon Xp (2200 - 2600)
256 - 512 ram
Maybe Geforce fx 5200
17' screen
cheap speakers
XP home
Office for student
Printer
scanner (maybe)

Its going to be used for word, email, and light photo editing.

Could you please tell me what specs suit that please? I wouldnt really know, but he wants it quite fast.

metla
13-11-2003, 06:07 PM
What are you asking for a link to?

metla
13-11-2003, 06:09 PM
I presume you were looking for a link to advantage computers but i cant really tell.

http://www.mallnz.co.nz/sites/advantage/

metla
13-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Oh,and a small favour,once you have bought it post the specs and the price so i can tell you how much money you would have saved by purchasing it in Wanganui.

whetu
13-11-2003, 06:59 PM
>> but I have repaired a couple of their machines.

how old were they? as with any company you're bound to have your bad apple employees, and inhouse isnt innocent in that regard... if you're getting a whole pc, ask specifically if Nevin can assemble it... he's never had an assembly-related return, only PEBKAC/PEBMAC-related.. the other assemblers there arent as thorough as he is, so they probably do get the odd return... (for the record nevin is a close friend of mine, hence the bias, but in all my dealings with advantage I've been less than impressed - so I do have experience with both companies and have delivered my opinion as unbiasedly as possible based on said experiences)

>> Also in Palmy be prepared to pay a premium, most of the retailers here are overpriced.

what they display as is not neccessarily what they'll sell at.. learn to haggle. Two terms that salesmen hate are "pricematch" and "package deal." Collect the best 3 prices for your chosen components from pricespy, then go into your local retailer of choice and ask if they'll pricematch and/or do you a package deal on your gear of choice. Inhouse does do this, seeing as I did save three digits off their shelf price doing this during my last big purchase spree

TazzieNZ
13-11-2003, 09:35 PM
The latest one is less thane 12mths old, unfortunately the owner got tired of it yoyo-ing in and out without the problem being fixed. I am sure they all have their good and bad staff --- unfortunately a couple of the things that they have done have left them looking less than professional in my opinion.

On the same token I know that advantage can be less than professional when dealing with home users. Although they would never admit it they have no real interest in that market, this may in turn be relected in their dealings.

As for pricings I don't haggle, in this day and age I see no need to. I expect a reasonable price without spending valuable time trying to negotiate a dollar here or there. I don't mind spending an extra couple of dollars to support a local retailer, however that will only go so far.

Anything I cant purchase via wholesale channels I normally end up purchasing online from Wellington stores, Palmerston North stores need to remember that consumers can purchase over the phone and have an item here within 24hrs.

I have no bias towards any store here, either Advantage or Inhouse are still far better than the other stores we have which is a topic best left for another day ......

Rod ger
14-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Computer Buying Advice
1. Do a bit more research and get sorted in your mind exactly what you want. Salesmen love customers who don't know what they want, who often end up with exactly that, what they don't want.
2.Look for quality components, especially the more expensive ones MB,HD, Monitor, Graphics. Don't compare donkeys with racehorses.
3. Price through Pricespy dealers, be prepared to buy at the right price. A hefty price chop can cover an awful lot of phone calls and courier charges (if needed).
4.Not all dealers are competent/competitive, so, deal with a good company. Over the years on this forum the same companies keep getting recommended by members for their good service, and strangely enough,these same companies are, almost without exception, the ones with the best prices.( They always seem to have fewer problems too.) Location is not as important as dealing with a good company.
5. Package deals with good components are possible and the price is usually fixed, and reasonable because of bulk buying( beware of changing components there can be a BIG penalty). Buying based on buying selected components and assembling them can cost a lot. Best bet, list all components along with best Pricespy price and website neatly done off a printer or email and ask your selected company/s to match or better(don't forget to say GST included (or not)). If your lucky you may get assembly thrown in for free. Don't expect to get all components you've listed. If they don't have it, expect a higher grade substitute without penalty.(or minimal extra, check specs) Ask for a total price( don't embarrass them,finding out where they are pruning their margins)
6. Don't buy on the spot, come back the next day if necessary, but go somewhere where there is no pressure, relax and work your way through it till you are satisfied its what you want, and need, and you are happy with the whole deal.

Sorry this just grew, hope it helps!

mejobloggs
14-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Wow, thanks a lot for your help people!

Would anyone else recommend www.computermedic.co.nz over inhouse and advantage? I know someone will :-)

somebody
14-11-2003, 09:00 AM
The only slight problem with haggling is that it can cause smaller companies to go under, as they do not make enough revenue to maintain their operating costs. Most can probably cope with a few people, but once almost every customer is demanding a "price match", they could end up in a very serious situation.

Big John
14-11-2003, 01:30 PM
> Wow, thanks a lot for your help people!
>
> Would anyone else recommend www.computermedic.co.nz
> over inhouse and advantage? I know someone will :-)

I have had no problems with Advantage and they have given me everything I asked for and handled any questions promptly. Prices are a bit higher than can be got elsewhere but hey you get what you pay for. Pay cheap, get cheap.

Rod ger
14-11-2003, 01:58 PM
They shouldn't price their stuff so they go out of business, just make slightly less profit. Besides you only deal with"good" companies, most of which have been around for a while and have figured out how to run their businesses efficiently. Size seems to have something to do with it, it seems to me that the most "efficient" companies are the smaller ones.

Markup on seperate items is greater than buying a "bundle", so they should have more room to move. I never look at my locals ever since one of them wanted to charge me $35 for a secondhand floppy drive.
Not all of the "goodies" are in the big centres, there are some doing mainly internet business and seemingly doing very well.

somebody
14-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Sometimes in order to meet a demanding customer's challenge to "match" prices found on pricespy or some internet business elsewhere, it can be difficult for these small businesses to run at a profit. Some businesses especially the internet businesses simply operate out of their "back yard" so to speak, so their operating costs will be substantially lower than those of a small local business who try to run a retail store too.

Sometimes we as consumers need to respect the fact that in order to keep local businesses alive and well, we have to respect their pricing. As long as it's "reasonable", then we shouldn't complain. Of course, if you want to get stuff cheap, yes use pricespy and buy from the cheapest seller, instead of potentially driving a local business under.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-11-2003, 09:36 PM
>advantage (been there once to help
> my boss' wife get a new pc, service was good, advice
> given was HORRIBLY bad, needless to say the salesman
> got a piece of my mind) and a few other smaller
> players

Hmm you seem to be in somewhat of a minority group.

I've assisted several friends purchase PC's in Palmerston North whilst I was working in IT up there.

After dealing with Inhouse I wouldn't go near them again, their pre-specced machines were manufactured with poor quality components, and not made according to the specifications advertised and paid for, not to mention issues with unlicenced software to name but a few - after repeated attempts to resolve we ended up getting a refund and going elsewhere.

In my experience price, service, and honesty is Advantage Computers (http://www.mallnz.co.nz/sites/advantage/) - I have had a lot of dealings with them both personally, and on behalf of my former workplace - to the point where I know their senior techs, and managing director on a first name basis and have never had a problem with them - quality is important when buying a PC and I wouldn't go past them, whilst price may be slightly high, the quality and support is there.

It's worth visiting the Massey Campus store run by Advantage as they have great prices on ex-lease machines.

Dynamic Solutions (http://www.dynamicsolutions.co.nz/) is another excellent firm - again they are a bit pricey, but again it is worth spending the extra for the support and quality.

beetle
14-11-2003, 09:49 PM
ok Mejobloggs

i will recommend the person who is computermedic, i have not had to use his parts or acessories, but his knowledge and honesty in my books is very important.
and he seems to have cured (touch wood) my machine of its problems.

i would not hesitate to use Metla again, and or ask him for advice and input about something,

all i can say is make the decision that best works for you, you have to live with it not us (the end result / bought puter). what is more convenient for you?

beetle