PDA

View Full Version : iBook or Powerbook ? Which one suits me ?

scottiedave
12-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Hi , I am looking around a new laptop . And the Apple laptop really attracts me and I am going to get a 12'inch one . Now I have to decide which one suits me more . I use laptop for internet surfing , watching DVD movies mainly and sometimes word processing , but barely for games . Which one would be better ? I went to Big Byte today and had a look on this two , at meanwhile they were playing a movie clip , I think the Powerbook one has a higher vedio quality , is that true ? Any Apple users , what's ur recommondation ?

metla
13-11-2003, 12:02 AM
More likely the Apple had a better quality screen.

Either way,Big Byte are the suck,I know of someone who spent 11 thousand dollars at one of there stores and has been treated like a monkey from them eversince,The system has been back under warrenty 3 times and has taken 2 weeks to a month to be returned each time.

And on every occasion the system came back with a new motherboard and still had the problems that caused it to be sent away.

All this time i had been refusing to work on it as they had an extended(super expensive)warrenty.The last time it was returned the *&^%%^ thing didnt even turn on,no post nothing.

I threw a new psu in her(which was my original guess at the machines problems months ago)and its been going like a dream ever since.

However,there was less then $1000 worth of components inside the machine,i was severley gutted to discover what they had payed out huge money for(can any one say msi board,g4mx and 256mb of ram?)

Guess i wandered off from your query,but avoid BigByte,its our responcibilty as caring kiwis to deliver them the same fate we dished out on the pc company.

Jim B
13-11-2003, 08:34 AM
There is quite a difference in price between the iBook and Powerbook so this might be the deciding factor.
The iBook will do everything you want to do very well but if price is no object the Powerbook has a faster processor and better graphics card but this may not be of any great benefit for what you are wanting to do as they both have the same excellent TFT screen.

Check the specs and prices at this link.

http://www.magnummac.co.nz/

-=JM=-
13-11-2003, 01:49 PM
I'd just stick with the iBook personally, it is all *most* people will need in a laptop. Make sure you get the newer ones with the G4 processor though.

bmason
13-11-2003, 01:55 PM
And OS X 10.3.

ilikelinux
13-11-2003, 06:26 PM
in reply to meltas post:

there is one word for this.

and it is not even allowed on pressf1 and may disturb some people.