PDA

View Full Version : Dynalink RTA220 vs RTA300

bk T
12-11-2003, 11:08 PM
My friend is looking for a ADSL external router and also wish to set up a small home network of 3 computers.

He is considering whether to get RTA220 + a hub /switch or RTA300 (with 4 ports sw). Costs wise, I think they are quite the same.

Which of the above configuration is better?

Comments from users of the above, please.

Cheers

BootyLicious
12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
i got a DSE ADSL Router 2-3 weeks ago for $178 works great.

The DSE ADSL Router is provides an "always-on" high speed ADSL connection to the telephone line. It supports simultaneous USB and Ethernet connection and includes a 4 port 10⁄100Mbps Duplex Switch. It an ideal for high speed Internet solution for single or TCP⁄IP networked computers.

Thing is do you realy need to spend more?

I would get the router best thing i ever did.

sc0ut
12-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Dynalink 210
the 220 is USB :( that means you need a USB hub to connect it to more than one PC :(
i don't even know if a USB hub would work
the 210 you can get for 2nd hand aroun $100
there was a product recall on some of them but dynalink still stand behind them

bk T
13-11-2003, 12:03 AM
>... the 220 is USB :( that means you need a USB hub to
> connect it to more than one PC :(
> i don't even know if a USB hub would work
>

I think 220 can be either USB or ethernet; not necessarily to use USB hub. Probably users of RTA220 out there can enlighten us on this matter.

Cheers

BootyLicious
13-11-2003, 12:39 AM
DYNALINK ADSL Router RTA220

The RTA220 is a new generation secure dual interface ADSL Modem Router. It enables the use of a telephone line for both regular voice calls and highspeed Internet or corporate LAN access at the same time. Sharing high speed Internet access is made easy by connecting the modem/ router via a highspeed 10/100Mbps auto-sensing Ethernet port to your LAN or computer. This is independent of the operating system and does not require loading any drivers. A USB 1.1 compliant port is also available for connecting to a stand-alone computer with Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP.

Security
Integrated security features of the RTA220 include a powerful stateful inspection firewall and intrusion protection functions. These combine to provide robust access control and prevent unauthorised access to sensitive data on your computer or network. The RTA220 comes with convenient preset levels of security. Inexperienced users can choose a suitable level of firewall protection without having to learn how firewall policies are made. Expert users or protocol. Hosting of web services is made easier with the support of DMZ (exposed) host.

Universal Plug And Play
Universal Plug and Play (UPnPô) support guarantees interoperability with other UPnP-enabled network computers and information appliances without the need for complicated configuration.

VPN And More
Other features include support of VPN passthrough for PPTP and IPSec ESP single tunnel mode. Router configurations can be saved to disk and restored when required. The RTA220 features the Globespan GS7070 ADSL modem chipset and Virata Heliumô 210-80 processor. The Helium processor runs the complete suite of GlobespanVirata networking software based on Virata's ISOSô 8.1 development platform. Future upgrades are made possible with the use of flash memory.

Blazing Bandwith
ADSL provides high-speed data transfer rates up to 8 Mbps (or 140 times faster than a 56k analog modem). This dramatic increase in speed will allow you to download large files in a fraction of the time, enjoy speedy interactive game playing and watch high quality streaming video via the Internet.
Watch websites appear in seconds rather than the wait experienced with analog modems. This is how the Internet should be!

No Cable Installation Hassles
The ADSL technology utilises your existing twisted-pair copper telephone line, eliminating the need for an expensive and inconvenient cable installation.

Surf And Talk
Talk on the phone and browse the Internet simultaneously, all on a single telephone line. Average telephone connections use only a minimal portion of the full capacity of the telephone lines. ADSL technology utilises the remaining bandwidth for the transfer of high-speed data. Voice communication uses the lower end of the frequency spectrum, while the transmission of data uses the higher end of the frequency spectrum.

Online All The Time
The ADSL service is an "always on" Internet connection. There is no lengthy dial up and initialisation procedures, simply click on your connection icon and you're immediately connected to the Internet.

Networkable
All you need is a network card, and you are up and running...
Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all.
Reduce the need for software proxy's: Using the Router means you no longer need to have proxy server software on your ADSL gateway.
Comes with Filter: Dynalink's ADSL Router ships with a Microfilter, meaning you can do a self install, no need to wait for the Telecom Technician to come to your house, just plug it in, and your up and running.

Quick & Easy Installation
Here at Dynalink, we know how frustrating computers can be. That's why we've written our own Quick Set-up Guide to minimise that frustration. Plus, if you do run into a problem, help is only a FREE phone-call away with Dynalink Technical Support.

1-year Warranty and FREE Life-time Technical Support Dynalink stands behind their modems with a 1-year back-to-base warranty with next-day turn-around. Also, in the unlikely event that you experience technical difficulties with your Dynalink modem, expert help is only a FREE phone call away. Unlike many other modem companies, there are NO charges associated with calling the Dynalink helpdesk.

Features: ATM: Compliant to ATM Forum UNI 3.1 / 4.0 Permanent Virtual Circuits (PVCs). Support up to 8 AAL5 Virtual Circuit Channels (VCCs) for UBR, CBR, VBR-rt, and VBR-nrt with traffic shaping. RFC1483 (RFC2684) LLC Encapsulation and VC Multiplexing over AAL5. RFC2364 Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) over AAL5. RFC2225 Classical IP and ARP over ATM. RFC2516 PPP over Ethernet: support Relay (Transparent Forwarding) and Client functions. OAM F4/F5 End-to-End/Segment Loopback Cells.
BRIDGING FEATURES: Supports self-learning bridge specified in IEEE 802.1D Transparent Bridging. Supports up to 4000 learning MAC addresses. Transparent Bridging between 10/100 Mb Ethernet and USB.
ROUTING FEATURES: UPnP IGD (Internet Gateway Device) with NAT traversal capability support. NAT (Network Address Translation) / PAT (Port Address Translation) allow multiple users on the LAN to access the internet for the cost of only one IP address. Built in ALGs (Application Level Gateways) such as NetMeeting, FTP, Quick Time, mIRC, Real Player, CuSeeMe. Multiple Virtual Servers (eg., Web, FTP, Mail servers) can be setup on user's local network. VPN passthrough for PPTP and IPSec ESP tunnel mode. Static routing RFC1058 RIPv1 and RFC1723 RIPv2. DNS Relay and DNS Server. ARP Proxy.
SECURITY FEATURES: PAP (RFC1334), CHAP (RFC1994) for PPP session. Stateful inspection firewall support IP packets filtering based on source/destination IP address, port number and protocol type. Intrusion detection provides protection from attacks such as SYN/FIN/RST Flood, Smurf, WinNuke, Echo Scan, Xmas Tree Scan. DMZ support.
CONFIGURATION AND MANAGEMENT: User-friendly embedded web configuration interface with password protection. Remote management access control. Telnet session for local or remote management. HTTP firmware upgrades via web browser GUI directly. Configuration settings can be saved to disk or restored from disk. Recovery image back up. Should the normal runtime image become damaged, the system uses the stored recovery image to boot up. Distribute IP addresses to end users via DHCP server provided by ADSL router. SNMPv1/v2 agent with MIB-II, PPP MIB, ADSL Line MIB.
POWER REQUIREMENTS: 12 VDC 1A via the supplied switching AC-DC adapter. Maximum power consumption is less than 10 W.
ADSL: Compliance to ANSI T1.413 Issue 2, ITU G.992.1, Annex A (G.dmt), ITU G.992.2 Annex A (G.lite), ITU G.994.1 (G.hs). G.DMT data rate: Downstream up to 8 Mbps, Upstream up to 832 kbps. Auto-negotiation for rate adaptation in steps of 32 kbps. Dual latency, supports fast and interleaved modes. Supports Overhead Framing defined in G.992.1, G.992.2, G.997.1. In case of power failure, router is able to restart and will operate automatically after the input power is restored.
PRODUCT CABINET: Desktop package dimensions are: 159mm(L) x 122mm(W) x 41.5mm(H). Weight 280g.
ENVIRONMENTAL: Operating temperature: 0~45C. Non operating storage temperature: -10~85C. Relative humidity: 20%~90% (non-condensed).
COMPLIANCE/REGULATORY: Telecom New Zealand Telepermit PTC 272/02/027. Australian Communications Authority A-Tick, C-Tick.
PRODUCT PACKING: 1pc switching power adapter output 12 VDC 1A. 1pc Ethernet cable. 1pc USB cable. 1pc telephone cord. 1pc CD-ROM including User Manual and drivers for USB installation. 1pc printed Quick Set-Up Guide.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS : ADSL service enabled on telephone line. Valid ADSL internet access account. Web browser such as Internet Explorer 5.0 or later, for system configuration. For connection via Ethernet: Computer with Ethernet connection (10/100 Base-T), OR Ethernet hub/switch, if connecting the device to more than one computer. Operating system: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows NT4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Macintosh, Unix or Linux. For connection via USB: Available USB port. Operating system: Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP

Terry Porritt
13-11-2003, 07:51 AM
I have the RTA220, but have no experience of the RTA300. It is correct it has a USP port, but that is an alternative to the Ethernet port.

I found the built-in firewall a pain. I couldnt get either Netmeeting or ICQ to work fully despite Dynalink saying there were default ports for these. Dynalink helpdesk didnt tell me how to do it either. There are default ports built in, but these programs also use a wide range of dynamically allocated ports, and I couldnt find out how to do that.

But much more importantly, with the firewall, I couldnt listen to Live365 stations as they also use a wide range of ports, not disclosed, for all there hundreds of stations.

So I use the router with the internal firewall turned off, and use Kerio as my firewall.

A lot of research at the time suggested that the Vigor router would work with those comms programs, and someone on PressF1 bought one from Holland and is satisfied with it.

Apart from the firewall problems, the modem works ok. However the reports about the DSE one suggest that it would be better value for money.

bk T
13-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Am I right to say that RTA300 has the built-in hub and I could use it to link up the PCs as I would with an ordinary hub/switch?

Comments from RTA300 users will be appreciated.

Cheers

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I have used both the 220 and 300 (wireless and non wireless), my best advice is donít buy a Dynalink, the routers are unstable and Dynalinks tech support leaves a lot to be desired.

If however you do want to use a Dyanlink (donít ask me why) both the routers have exactly the same chipset, have the same web interface, and use the same drivers, the only difference is the 300u has a integrated 4 port switch (and the 300w also has integrated 802.11b).

Another point to note is donít rely on the USB option, it works as a virtual USB LAN adaptor, and I have found the drivers to cause severe system instability in some situations.

If you are looking for an alternative to the Dynalink, Alcatel make good routers in general, and I have heard good things about both the Speed Touch 510 (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=107720) and Speed Touch 510 with 4 port switch. (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=107721)

Cheers

nz_liam

yang11
13-11-2003, 02:21 PM
dynalink rep told me yesterday that RTA300 = RTA220 + 5/4 port switch.

or is it? muahahha... only time will tell.

I got a RTA210 + 8 port switch with another 5 port switch cascaded at home.

RTA220 router + switch gives u flexibility and of course, some cabling mess.