PDA

View Full Version : OT:- WarDriving in Auckland.

nz_liam
12-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Seeing as my exams finish in a couple of weeks time I was wondering if anyone world be interested in going on a WarDrive in a couple of weeks time. I have 4/5 essential tools, (Orinoco Gold PCMCIA Card, Magnetic Car Mounted Antenna, Serial GPS Unit and of course the Car), I'm just missing the Laptop (my HDD has died and I havenít replaced it yet).

What is war driving you ask? Its pretty much just driving round town in a car hunting (mapping) wireless networks, the Wireless card sends out a signal and logs what wireless devices respond and the GPS location at which they were detected, simple :)

Cheers

nz_liam

Chilling_Silently
12-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I'll be up for it if I can get my laptop back.. I've lent it to a mate...

Might not be able to though, we'll see :-)

csinclair83
12-11-2003, 08:33 PM
why would you wanna do this?

PoWa
12-11-2003, 08:42 PM
So you can search for newbie unprotected networks who haven't got any security implemented, then you can leech all their Mp3s etc ?:|

Anyway sounds like fun! :^O

segfault
12-11-2003, 08:44 PM
I'd be interested. I wouldn't be free until the 26th of November though. I did some war driving around Albany last week - lots of AP's around there, but I couldn't get a good enough signal to connect to anything :( I *was* able to connect to a wireless network of a friend of mine though. He gave me his WEP key and I was able to get on the net. Was quite cool sitting in my car up on a hill surfing the net :D

I've got a 200mw Senao PCMCIA card with external antenna jack, MMCX -> N pigtail and a 9db omni antenna. I can try and get a loan of a parabolic antenna.

You may be interested in checking out http://www.nzwireless.org We are organising a wireless treasure hunt from December - the more the merrier :)

brewer
12-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Look here you young scallywags, stop this immediately; don`t you realise that property is theft? er, have I got that right? Anyway, pull yourselves together and go and learn some proper spelling and pronunciation.

segfault
12-11-2003, 09:50 PM
What on earth are you talking about?

brewer
12-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Well, I don`t know, I had hoped that you might be able to help me with that one.

-=JM=-
12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
I wonder if there are laws regarding this in NZ now.

brewer
12-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Do you mean a lack of humour?

segfault
12-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Regarding what, war driving? I can't see why there would be.

Thomas
12-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Sounds like scallywaggery to me.

One must assume somebody was paying for your surfing.

Mind you I could be wrong,there is always a first;)

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 05:04 AM
> I've got a 200mw Senao PCMCIA card with external
> antenna jack, MMCX -> N pigtail and a 9db omni
> antenna. I can try and get a loan of a parabolic
> antenna.

Looks like someoneís a bit of a serious WarDriver :D What did the card set you back? I had a look but couldnít seem to find one that supported NetStumbler / WarLinux with the MCMX Jack, so I simply brought an Orinoco Gold one off eBay, (actually brought two, am trying to ditch one on TradeMe).

> You may be interested in checking out
> http://www.nzwireless.org We are organising a
> wireless treasure hunt from December - the more the
> merrier :)

Hmm, just checked out http://www.nzwireless.org/contentid-3.html sounds like fun B-)

Cheers

nz_liam

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 05:10 AM
Also...

> I'd be interested. I wouldn't be free until the 26th
> of November though.

How about the following weekend, say Sunday the 30th?

segfault
13-11-2003, 07:23 AM
> Looks like someoneís a bit of a serious WarDriver :D
> What did the card set you back? I had a look but
> couldnít seem to find one that supported NetStumbler
> / WarLinux with the MCMX Jack, so I simply brought an
> Orinoco Gold one off eBay, (actually brought two, am
> trying to ditch one on TradeMe).

The cards were imported by an NZwireless member. They cost $160.00 each and are prism 3 based, iirc, so they work with Netstumbler, Kismet, etc. I'm not sure if Andrew has any left, but you can check on here: http://shop.borg.net.nz.

segfault
13-11-2003, 07:31 AM
oops, that should be http://shop.borg.co.nz :)

somebody
13-11-2003, 12:10 PM
well it could be comparable to illegally gaining access to someone's private network. I'm sure there's a law on that somewhere...

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 12:23 PM
> well it could be comparable to illegally gaining
> access to someone's private network. I'm sure there's
> a law on that somewhere...

What you need to consider is that WarDriving isnít necessarily about, breaking into peoples networks, but rather finding what networks are out there, (and having fun doing it :)).

There isnít anything illegal about sending out a signal similar to a Ďpingí and then recording what devices reply back, (it would be illegal however to use this information to then gain unauthorised access to someoneís network).

Cheers

nz_liam :)

somebody
13-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Fair enough.

Winston001
13-11-2003, 01:27 PM
>
> There isnít anything illegal about sending out a
> signal similar to a Ďpingí and then recording what
> devices reply back, (it would be illegal however to
> use this information to then gain unauthorised access
> to someoneís network).
>
Tell you what team: lets all meet at the bottom end of Queen Street and have a race up each side trying to get into parked cars.
Just to make it interesting, we'll try all the doors of buildings on the way.
Last one arrested, wins.

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 01:43 PM
> Tell you what team: lets all meet at the bottom end
> of Queen Street and have a race up each side trying
> to get into parked cars.
> Just to make it interesting, we'll try all the doors
> of buildings on the way.
> Last one arrested, wins.

Sounds like fun :D, when do you propose to meet ;)

Thomas
13-11-2003, 02:00 PM
I am loath to say what people should do with there time,but sounds like you are desperate for something to do,anyway each to his own.

Jester
13-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Winston chap, I didn't think you Southlanders knew anything about burglaries, thefts and so on?

Your analogy is fair though, however, if you found a car or building door open, would it not be a good thing to advise the owner of same, and maybe even make a suggestion (in this analogy, lock the door) that further protects the owner from loss?

I am sure the lads in their Ghostbuster attire (that's what I have visions of lol) would do that to any unsecure networks they find ...

Finally, I recall an article in a PC World with some PC World staff members doing just this ... hmm, I just found the article online Cracked by PC World - 3 Sept 2001 (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/UNID/D613EE06F6D98222CC256AB5000913CE?)

J
:D

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 02:21 PM
> Winston chap, I didn't think you Southlanders knew
> anything about burglaries, thefts and so on?
>
> Your analogy is fair though, however, if you found a
> car or building door open, would it not be a good
> thing to advise the owner of same, and maybe even
> make a suggestion (in this analogy, lock the door)
> that further protects the owner from loss?
>
> I am sure the lads in their Ghostbuster attire
> (that's what I have visions of lol) would do that to
> any unsecure networks they find ...
>
> Finally, I recall an article in a PC World with some
> PC World staff members doing just this ... hmm, I
> just found the article online
> Cracked by PC World - 3
> Sept 2001 (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/UNID/D613EE0
> F6D98222CC256AB5000913CE?)
>
> J
> :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Moving on :D, is there anyone else who would be interested in participating in a WarDrive on Sunday the 30th of this month?

Cheers

nz_liam

segfault
13-11-2003, 02:44 PM
That sounds alright. Where, when?

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 03:16 PM
> That sounds alright. Where, when?

Well I'm 10 seconds walk from Symonds street, (just off Mayoral Drive), so some where In the city would be good, I'm not too fussed about location, but I would expect there to be a decent concentration of networks in the CBD.

When; well probably sometime in the late morning or early after noon, whenever suits.

As above I have a PCMCIA card, small antenna (just a cheap 5dBi magnetic mount one), a serial GPS unit (and a car if necessary), the only thing Iím lacking is a working laptop.

Another thing to bear in mind is that I have never been on a WarDrive before, so Iím no expert, I just have acquired all the gear and would like to give it a go :)

Cheers

nz_liam

segfault
13-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Sounds good. I'm about 10 minutes drive from Albany industrial park. There are plenty of AP's up there. Would be much easier to war drive, because there is hardly any traffic. There is also a guy not even 5 minutes down the road that lets people connect to the net through his net connection.

agent
13-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Well wouldn't it be just a tad obvious what you're doing if you're walking around carrying a laptop, aerials, and other stuff (more so to other technologically advanced people)... which makes a car all the more necessary.

I wouldn't mind joining in, only thing is the laptop I could use isn't mine, and I'm unsure if it has a serial port... definitely has PCMCIA though, because there is a DSE wireless thingamajig for it.

agent
13-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Forgot to say, would it count as bad if you left a small text file or something hinting to secure their wireless network?

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 04:55 PM
> Forgot to say, would it count as bad if you left a
> small text file or something hinting to secure their
> wireless network?

Er, we're not really concerned with accessing the networks and leaving files on their machines, just mapping where they are.

agent
13-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Yes, but it's really the best you can do, compared to the whole unlocked building and car thing, and going around locking peoples doors if you find them unlocked.

Or else triangulate the signal, go into the building, and leave a message for the network folks.

Graham L
13-11-2003, 05:06 PM
ummm ... how about a bit of email if you're just making a date? OT is OT, but this isn't a chat room ... Brue had to shoot an attempt at that today. :D

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 05:12 PM
> OT is OT, but this isn't a chat room
> ... Brue had to shoot an attempt at that today. :D

Hence we have ChatF1 :p

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 05:18 PM
> Yes, but it's really the best you can do, compared to
> the whole unlocked building and car thing, and going
> around locking peoples doors if you find them
> unlocked.
>
> Or else triangulate the signal, go into the building,
> and leave a message for the network folks.

I think you taking this a little too seriously mate :) Weíre not going on a crusade to save the people from the hordes of evil hackers that want to steal their bandwidth and files. Just a simple drive round town surveying wireless activity :)

PoWa
13-11-2003, 08:19 PM
You don't wear big, round glasses 1cm thick do you liam?? ;) :P

I can imagine 5 of these people cramming into the car with their laptops in their lap.

nz_liam
13-11-2003, 08:26 PM
> You don't wear big, round glasses 1cm thick do you
> liam?? ;) :P

But of course, I mean why would you think otherwise :p

> I can imagine 5 of these people cramming into the car
> with their laptops in their lap.

If I could get a big enough inverter I would take my desktop :D

Thomas
13-11-2003, 09:30 PM
>I can imagine 5 of these people cramming into the car with their laptops >in their lap.

How they manage to see through what look like the bottom of jam jars ,is beyond me.All that giggling when they found a site would be hard to take;)

PoWa
13-11-2003, 10:26 PM
> How they manage to see through what look like the bottom of jam jars ,is beyond me.All that giggling when they found a site would be hard to take

LOL :^O Its bad enough at Tec when 3-4 nerds/geeks get talking about something...

I'm thinking of 'The Recruit' movie, (the main actor from SWAT was in it), anyway he and some people from MIT made some software program that completely took complete control over any wireless device in its radius, and in this case broadcasted anything he wanted to the surrounding television/computer screens. Now if someone coded that up, it would be extremely enjoyable to go 'WarDriving'. In fact, I'd do it every day till I got sick of it.

Budda
14-11-2003, 09:08 AM
LOL now this is funny, people get all high and mighty about stealing sky, but then it seems that it is now okay to do this LOL.

Seems some people need to take a look at what is right and wrong before they go force their ideas upon others.

agent
14-11-2003, 09:15 AM
I don't see anything wrong with sending out pings to probe the location of networks. It's not unsimilar to active radar being used to find the location of ships and airplanes, and I suppose that's illegal?

segfault
14-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Whats the problem Buddha?

nz_liam
14-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Take a look at http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41524 :)

Lohsing
14-11-2003, 03:27 PM
> I don't see anything wrong with sending out pings to
> probe the location of networks. It's not unsimilar to
> active radar being used to find the location of ships
> and airplanes, and I suppose that's illegal?

I don't have a problem if all you're doing is searching for networks. The problem I do have is that in this thread, someone has already mentioned leeching mp3s from 'newbie unprotected networks.'

That's the huge difference right there. I myself have a wireless network, and if I found out some kid was sitting in a car outside my house trying to access my network... well... I wouldn't be happy, but that's just me.

If all you're doing is 'pinging networks' or using 'active radar to find ships' then no problems. If you're intending to go into those networks to look at someone's files... well, whole new kettle of fish.

Lo.

nz_liam
14-11-2003, 03:42 PM
> That's the huge difference right there. I myself have
> a wireless network, and if I found out some kid was
> sitting in a car outside my house trying to access my
> network... well... I wouldn't be happy, but that's
> just me.

Agreed, but that would be hacking, not WarDriving.

> If all you're doing is 'pinging networks' or using
> 'active radar to find ships' then no problems.

Which we are, (not the active radar part though :p).

War driving is a bit like going on a "photographic safari", you simply surveying wireless activity, not a "hunting safari" where youíre breaking into networks.

Cheers

nz_liam

Lohsing
14-11-2003, 03:45 PM
If I knew I wasn't going to be absolutely hungover and written off over the weekend, I'd almost be tempted... ;)

Lo.

nz_liam
14-11-2003, 03:52 PM
> If I knew I wasn't going to be absolutely hungover
> and written off over the weekend, I'd almost be
> tempted... ;)
>
> Lo.

Your welcome to join us, you only need to bring a laptop and a 12 pack ;)

nz_liam
15-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Well I've had an interesting eveningÖ.

My friend had an old laptop at his house, (one with a serial port for my GPS :D), so we went for a drive round the CBD and Albany Industrial Park, and this is what we ended up with; 236 unique wireless devices in total, 146 of which were unsecured (thatís 62%!) including 3 Dynalink Wireless ADSL Routers, with factory default settings (i.e. no encryption, no MAC binding, and DCHP enabled!!).

I might also add that one of the un-encrypted Access points appeared to belong to a prominent Auckland ISP.

The data has been uploaded to the wigle.net database, so have a look at this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41524) for a NZ map of what we found :)

Cheers

nz_liam :)

zqwerty
15-11-2003, 02:53 AM
What a bunch of W.....s.

OldEric
15-11-2003, 06:35 AM
What is the difference if any... Wardriving or Warchalking?

My last visit to London earlier this year it was Warchalking.

Those with worries... It died

OldEric

segfault
15-11-2003, 07:59 AM
When people warchalk, they put a mark on the ground with chalk to let people know that there is a wireless node there. They can tell from the mark whether the node is open or closed, the SSID of the node and how fast the link is.

juha
20-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Hold off on the war driving / bluejacking etc until the Feb issue of PC World. I'm going to get some legal opinion (well, try to at least) about whether or not connecting to unsecured networks could land you in the slammer.

Remember we've got new, vague and largely untried legislation that's supposed to deal with computer crimes. You probably don't want to end up as test cases for it.

Last time around, some admins in one of the larger outfits that we went past noticed us in the street and thought we "looked dodgy as hell" and turned off their APs :-).

--
Juha

Biggles
20-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Fair call. You do look dodgy as hell.

juha
23-11-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm not ashamed of that, you know. There are people, and there are dodgy as hell people. We have rights too.