PDA

View Full Version : works / open office drama

beetle
12-11-2003, 06:03 PM
trying to move existing docs from works to OO and i get stuck with the change from .wps to what ? OO is asking me what sort of application / file etc (going from this to that) and i get lost so thought ill copy paste instead as i know this one.

ok i tried to copy /paste some stuff into open office from works,
then saved it and shut all and tried to open new saved doc and its telling me it doesnt exist, ??? then found it is saving in temp files instead so made a new folder for this stuff saying beetles assignments etc....

so does this mean it does not save in OO ? like works does i have to surf the system to find them instead?

and why does OO not recognise works docs?

and they said it would be easier........

and ok so now i have things on my files list and i cant right click to delete it so if i go straight to my docs will i be able to delete this? going to check this one out may have something to report by then, so may not need that answer...

what im saying is i want a copy of all docs from works into OO but not delete works stuff yet? can i just move it ?
im really lost as it keep throwing up does not exist or what is it words....
will keep trying but this is painful.....

clear as mud? me to.
may get back to you on when i can explain things better,

XP, Works 6 and Open Office off pc world cd.

beetle

mark.p
12-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Try .rtf

beetle
12-11-2003, 06:25 PM
sorry but im a bit lost .rtf ? change them to or open as?

i been trying W...T..F%$#@#% at moment :D and it dont work either.. :D

beetle

ilikelinux
12-11-2003, 06:34 PM
RichTextFormat

mark.p
12-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Save the works files as .rtf bleetle........................................... ..............

mark.p
12-11-2003, 06:43 PM
In MS Works............................Got that?

beetle
12-11-2003, 06:47 PM
who's Bleetle????? :p

ok will try again....
thank you, cant guarantee i understand but yeah ill try again.

beetle

beetle
12-11-2003, 06:51 PM
um its telling me bright idea here!!! save as XML?

i saved as rtf or whatever as it gives me multiple options as saveing for MS word????

oh dear this is going to be a long night......

beetle

mark.p
12-11-2003, 06:53 PM
If you save all your MS document as .rtf they more than likely can be opened in almost "any" wordprocessing app on "any" OS "anytime". Doon't know how the "l" got there lol. Honest............

beetle
12-11-2003, 07:00 PM
LOL yeah ok....

um now its saying after changing document (editing) i may lose some info in saving in rtf ? what is it talking about? will i be ok?

im never ok but ? should i set it to always save in this file er whatever setting? not sure where but will look....

this will be doc one of the many i have......got plenty of time, only got 3 assignments due..... life to live and so on......

thanxs heaps for the help.... honest.... :p

:D

beetle

mark.p
12-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Just try the damn thing will ya. You won't lose the content of your .wps file.

mark.p
12-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Of the original .wps file. Also have you just tried cutting and pasting from one app to the other?

beetle
12-11-2003, 07:15 PM
this is how i got here - cut paste.

i cut and paste to get this far, save as rtf and now its telling i may lose new info.... i got that ... i did try it, i just was not ready for it to ask something else.......

going from works 6 to OO ....

i did try.....
it does not say wps anywhere.....

sorry i not good at this directions thing over the net......

beetle

mark.p
12-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Save your .wps document as .rtf and open the .rtf in OO...........

mark.p
12-11-2003, 07:29 PM
And because I'm such a nice person-http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=271080

beetle
12-11-2003, 07:39 PM
:_|

im confused now.....

b

mark.p
12-11-2003, 07:41 PM
And-http://www.userful.com/support/ms-works this may give you some good info too.
Found by using google.com by the way.

Susan B
12-11-2003, 07:44 PM
OK, Mummy to the rescue.... :p :D

This is what I would do:

In Windows Explorer in your My Documents folder (or wherever you have your files) create a new folder Assignments OO.

In Windows Explorer find the assignments you are working on at the moment, ie the current ones and copy those files into the folder you just created. You know how to copy files in Explorer, don't you? Click on them, use the Ctrl + C keys to copy, click on the new folder use Ctrl + V to paste them. You should now have two of each of your files. Right??

Open Works and navigate to the copied files and open them. When opened go to Save As and in the Save As Type box click on the arrow and find the Rich Text Format option and choose that. Click on OK. The file name should now look something like yourfile.rtf. Do that with each document you want to work on in OO.

If you have got that right you can now open up OO and open up your new file with the .rtf extension and then Save As the file as a Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP.doc file.

That's it! You'll have three copies of each file (maybe four...) but make sure you just work on the .doc one and delete the others in your new folder when you have finished the assignments.

Any more questions, just ask. :-)

mark.p
12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
You could go down to your local geek hire shop, hire a geek for 10 mins at the exorbedent rate of $100 an hour and get he/she to demostrate the procedure.

mark.p
12-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Susan there's no need to save as .doc format as MS Word et el will open it fine as.....

beetle
12-11-2003, 07:52 PM
yeah rite this is me youre talking to.....i see pigs flying....flocks of eemmm.....

and if it dont work soon its trash............

b

mark.p
12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
You'll get there. the thing about .rtf format is that it does'nt include some personnal added extas in the document the MS Word does in .doc format-ie only what you're assignment contains nother more.......

Susan B
12-11-2003, 08:08 PM
> Susan there's no need to save as .doc format as MS Word et el will open it fine as.....

Yeah, true I s'pose. What about formatting? I have never worked in .rtf format myself but use Word and all its features. I don't suppose Beetle needs all that stuff though, so sticking with .rtf would probably be the way to go.

If she sticks with OO that is..... :p :D

mark.p
12-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Don't know about you but I've done a couple of courses using MS Word .doc format and almost every PC I've open them on changed the formating slightly, hell even PC in the same computer lab, that where ment to be clones of each other. And there are at least 3 .doc formats around now.

beetle
12-11-2003, 08:26 PM
so you dont think its worth the hassle as it wont gain me any details such as word count etc? save?

beetle

mark.p
12-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Hah? Where is the word count feature?
To get a word count in OO.o, you go to File -> Properties -> Statistics

beetle
12-11-2003, 08:46 PM
yeah i know but i wanted one on the task bar..... so i can hit it lots...

like with the hammer......

b

mark.p
12-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Bye! Sweet dreams

beetle
12-11-2003, 08:58 PM
sweet dreams....not

b

dana.c
12-11-2003, 10:18 PM
hi Beetle
I have been reading your posts with interest - I was really green just like u are now & still am, so I know what it's like. So what I did - found this amazing freelance computer tutor, he got me to do a list of all my queries, then went thru them all. Not in one day, but over 6 mths. If you are in East. suburbs, Auckland I can let you know his email or phone. You do have to pay tho, but like it's worth it. I think mark.p is trying to hint that it may be better to get someone to help, rather than torture yourself. Please don't take offense tho, just trying to help.

metla
12-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Beetle beetle beetle.

Copy all your documents to a folder somewhere and consider them a back up,now ignore them.

Then open one of your original documents in works,save it as an rtf(complety ignoring whatever tales of disaster works may tell you(because you have them nacked up elsewhere if your not happy with the results)

Once you have saved it as an rtf file,open it with Openofiice.

Now,look at your document.....If it has been changed beyond acceptable limits give up on the openoffice experiment and use what your comfertable with.

If it looks fine,then do the same to your other documents still with a cool carm manner because if anything does go wrong...you still have the back up copy of everything.

Now,Every single user here uses the software they are comfertable with,they may have tried other products which do they same thing but they still settle on the one that agrees with them the most.

They may even be using products that are considered a poor alternative or something not regarded as the best in the feild but if it suits them better then they will continue using it to the fullest enjoyment.

Moral of this story...Use what works best for you.

This was Brought to you by Metla,the number 42 and the letter P.

beetle
12-11-2003, 10:39 PM
well if i have to pay travel im stuffed.... as i live in Wanganui....:D
yeah and no offence.... green? LOL always thought beetles were black myself, but no probs, :D

i dont have major difficultys with it now just i was home alone trying to do all things at once and concentration level was not good, but life has settled a little and i have given up on it for tonight....so tomorow will do.

and as a not quite so noob to another thank you anyway nice to know my posts can have a favourable aspect on them even though it seems the outcome is bad?

LOL green still gets me.....

i find i cant do the ask help thing the same due to busy life style, so is awkard to get together with others, but my friend Metla has had a few shoved his way recently, and so has susan b to, she helps me get out of lots of pc scrapes...:D
and as pf1 is family we all help each other lots,

and beetle is well known on pf1, especially for the amount of scrapes and problems i have had, and all help is good really, and i dont mind being told i need help, i always need help in one form or another,

i will be always indebted to the ongoing and persistent help i get from the pf1 members and regulars.

and dana.c welcome to pf1, hope your time here is long and knowledge gaining.

beetle

beetle
12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
man i took so long to write my last post i missed your post metla.....

LOL thanxs bud.

ok im gonna save it and print it to use as dummy run????? LOL
just kidding.

thanxs heaps.....

b

beama
12-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Hi Beetle
my first recomendation is go have a cup of coffee. once you are relaxed do what melta says.

beetle
12-11-2003, 11:05 PM
and by looking at the amount of coffee cups i have on my desk it seems that i havent had enough then.....

but just as a side note, i um got the printer to work after a few er shots at it..... maybe something to do with the ink then though,

and also when at warehouse today, i get to checkout and got items scanned, went to pay by check (business things) and the lady typed a few things and then her screen went blank, and it wouldnt work (note only one in whole shop to go down) so i musta stood to close huh?

my electrifying personality..... killed the machine so i had to hold up the line of people (heaps ) and then write out the check by hand , id and the lot checking prices etc..... took ages, poor lady behind me .....said sorry though (i did)

so beetle strikes again....
stuffed someone else's puter for once.....so maybe not a good idea for beetle to visit anyone anytime soon as i may kill your puter.... :p

beetle

beetle
12-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Metla ?

panic now?
what does the word fatal execution mean?

beetle

metla
12-11-2003, 11:44 PM
> Metla ?
>
> panic now?
> what does the word fatal execution mean?
>
>
> :D
>
> beetle

fatal execution ?.....OMG!

Means it didnt work,Exactly what content did you get this Fatal execution?when u tried to save as rtf or when you tried to open it in Openoffice?

I would presume you have some formatting on the document that OpenOffice can't handle.

Try saving the file as a .doc from within works(if you can) then open it with Openoffice.

But you may just be out of luck.

beetle
12-11-2003, 11:49 PM
tis ok metla......

lolololol

something else entirely.... :D
breath.....breath.....breath.....
:p

still havent got that other thing sussed.... but i have multiple um docs but they have all ended up in same file????? so dont know which is which now.....

man i hate this...

beetle

beetle
13-11-2003, 12:05 AM
change of tactic here put the ones in my documents into own folder, but when open works theres multiples of the files and they all look same,

tempted to just flag it and start afresh, or print them or something.....

brain is logging off about now...:p

been fiddling around in (not really just looking) OO but am not sure it is me, as has lots of things i dont need, so may just type up some stuff and see how it goes from there and what they print like....

i have some files saved as rtf or whatever it is (now im not remembering...) and they seem to open in OO but am so muddled now as to how i got them there..... this is saved into different folder...

but they are the main ones so its not so bad...

tomorow is looking so much better than now (oh it is tomorow.....)

oh dear sleep time i think..

thanxs M
and relax it was nothing to worry about..... honest.... Fatal Exception happen lots dont they? :p

beetle

tommy
13-11-2003, 10:32 AM
> change of tactic here put the ones in my documents into own folder, but
> when open works theres multiples of the files and they all look same,

Have a look at the extensions of the files. You may find some have *.doc or *.rtf or *.wps extensions which will indicate which program they "belong" to.

Winston001
13-11-2003, 01:51 PM
You are a scream Beetle. Your stream-of-thought posts are a real tonic and very enjoyable.
For what it is worth, I have just loaded Open Office and wondered the same things you raised. Now I'm too nervous to use it.:8}

beetle
13-11-2003, 02:30 PM
hell thats not the reason i posted W001, i posted cos it seems i am a brainless twit with too much time on my hands and gets me into serious trouble all the time..... i am reminded regularly.....(sigh)
seems i can do no right.

and thats no reason not to use open office what i have seen of it is good, and the only thing i feel its lacking is the word count thing i use lots on my assignments.....

so may either look else where at other progs or just stick with works or OO and forget about all other attempts at rectofying my probs....

and for as far as my stream of thought posts i am regularly getting into tight spots about these to, and am really trying hard to not type what i instantly think....... :O which is being severly tested lately.... i give myself time to relax and slow down or count to 10 or if nesasary 100.....LOL
seems my brain runeth over too much for some people.... and this goes for my real life goings on as well as my net personality......
so it seems this will help me be a good teacher as i am good at waffle.... and can really get down on the kids level cos i am a kid, just a big kid....:D who drives the same way as i talk..... so watch out guys......:p

thanxs for the warm fuzzy's i find i survive better in life when i get good comments, even though i dont always get some of them a? T ? LOL no what i mean....

anyway winston 001, jump in boots (talking about OO only ok?) and all whats the worst can happen? cant be any worse than what i have done in the past, learn how to fly OO and then you can teach me...:D

thanxs all
:)
beetle

mark.p
13-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Beetle are you there yet? Concentrate on the task at hand lol ;) Save in Works as .rtf. Open in OO.o Write. Easy.........................

beetle
13-11-2003, 05:17 PM
am i where yet? where am i suposed to be??? :p
actually im never there yet and no i have not fixed up works stuff ups yet but i do have some rtf saved in open office so there....:p

easy....... life is never easy.... at least not to me.

thanxs for the ongoing support, muchly appreciated.

beetle

mark.p
13-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Your welcome, I'll post the bill -see previous post re pricing :p. Life is easier than you think (avoiding computers, like the scourge they are, helps) ;).

beetle
13-11-2003, 05:53 PM
ok another question i have for some reason got a file saved as swx ? this is star something isnt it???
is it ok to be saved this way???

no problems with it, no majors or crisissus's.... (er spelling?)

and i am ok about not touching works today, spat the dummy at me for trying to change things, that it doesnt like.....

most others are rtf....

:D ok relax people i havent done anything YET!

beetle

beetle
13-11-2003, 05:55 PM
post the bill!!!!

yours or mine....:p

i can post them too....LOL

yeah and you can only avoid things so long before they come back and bite you in the preverbial.....

beetle

mark.p
13-11-2003, 06:07 PM
> ok another question i have for some reason got a file
> saved as swx ? this is star something isnt it???
> is it ok to be saved this way???
Yip but if you need to hand in assignment electronically you'll need to export the file to .rtf or .doc for your tutors MS Word to veiw it.

beetle
13-11-2003, 06:20 PM
at this stage it hasnt happened that i have had to email them with an assignment but i know others in class who have, so i thank you for that one as i would have had major probs if i tried to do that before now without that little bitty of info.

(thinking of next question..... may have to have intake of food or coffee... before brain can get another question sorted.... :p )

thanxs

beetle

beetle
13-11-2003, 08:02 PM
ok started to write up an assignment and it is starting to irritate me with its bright ideas icon popping up everytime i do something or a setting it thinks i should have .

it is still prompting me regularly to save, etc which i thought id got rid of to no avail.
and its telling me off for setting text files to be always saved as rtf????
says ill lose info this way?

it gives me so many options on task bar and down the side of screen / page have no idea if and what they are for, do i really need to have them all there? can i move the side list ?

ok one thing i do like is it shows you the lines on the page where your text will fit / boundaries i guess?

no other issues yet ill keep you posted. any answers greatly appreciated.

beetle

mark.p
13-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Night night beetle. Easy on the coffeee hah. Heard it causes hypertension ;).

beetle
13-11-2003, 10:24 PM
bleeping thing.... :p

im calling it a night....

beetle

Winston001
15-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Just to remind you that Mark P pointed out that OO does have Word Count. I checked and found it no trouble.

Now, perhaps you could try the spell check........;)

beetle
15-11-2003, 08:28 PM
um W001 i know it has word count just not a icon in my task bar, thats all but maybe thats the impossible dream on any word processor prog i think, i found spell check to, all i wanted really was auto save, and word count by one click availability,

thanxs for looking W.
so does this mean you have conquered your fear and taken the plunge into OO then ? :D

i havent had another look,

b