PDA

View Full Version : "Overload burn-in test"

somebody
12-11-2003, 03:23 PM
I'm just curious, what do computer assemblers actually do when they run an "overload burn-in test" on a computer before they ship it to you?

robsonde
12-11-2003, 03:30 PM
from experance in a company that built computers......

some do nothing and clame that a burn in test has been done.

some just leave the system powered up over night and see if it still works in the morning.

the whole point of a burn in test is that most (80%) systems that have problems will show faults with in a day of delivery.

there are sevral program you can download that will do the test but basicly it just runs the computer hard for lots of hours, testing every bit of hardware.

some techs just run half-life demo for a day. (not the best test but better than nothing )

Graham L
12-11-2003, 03:41 PM
In the 1970s, Digital Equipment Corporation tested the PDP8 minis like this: (running a memory testing programme all the time) 12 hours in a box at 100°F, then 12 hours in a box at freezing point. Then there was the drop test. The computer was (plugged in and running) clamped in a trolley in a vertical frame, and dropped 3 ft. It had to keep working to be accepted. :D

somebody
12-11-2003, 04:29 PM
eek. That sounds a bit rough. I heard once that a burn-in test was when they ran some kind of software for 48 hours non stop, to see if the computer would crash, whereas some other places have said that they can have a computer assembled and tested within a few hours.

PoWa
12-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Yea something that runs for 48 hours and stresses the cpu and memory to the max, maybe even the video card. But wait, I think Windows would crash under that pressure anyway.