PDA

View Full Version : Adding Icons to IE toolbar?

Mantis
12-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know how to add an icon to the IE toolbar....?

I recently upgraded my MSN Messenger but the icon for Messenger on my IE toolbar still loaded my older 4.7 version...?

I've tried customizing my toolbar under the view/toolbars tab but I can't seem to add any new icons into the pool of Icons that I can add to my taskbar....

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Mantis.

Susan B
12-11-2003, 03:07 PM
What version of Internet Explorer do you have? Maybe you need to have the latest of that as well?

Mike
12-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Mantis, are you running Windows XP? If so, and you've just upgraded to MSN Messenger 6, then that'll be why. Win XP runs Windows Messenger, rather than MSN Messenger. Although MSN Messenger will run no problem, it doesn't replace Windows Messenger as they are treated by Windows as seperate programs. If you wanted to upgrade Windows Messenger to the equivalent of MSN Messenger 6, you'll need to get Windows Messenger 5, which should integrate normally with your IE messenger button.

Mike.

Mantis
12-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys....

I am running XP at according to the microsoft site I am also running the latest version of IE.....

Thanks Mike, I didn't realise that Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger were two different programs....

What is the difference if any?

With that now solved, is it possible to add icons to the IE taskbar?

Thanks again for all your help...

Mike
13-11-2003, 07:40 PM
> Thanks guys....

You're welcome

> Thanks Mike, I didn't realise that Windows Messenger
> and MSN Messenger were two different programs....
> What is the difference if any?

Very little difference, apart from the fact that Windows Messenger is designed for (and integrated into) Windows XP. I don't think it'll run on other versions of Windows, whereas MSN Messenger will run on other Win versions. I'm not sure as to why they've done it like that.

> With that now solved, is it possible to add icons to
> the IE taskbar?

Only if the icon is available to be added. Right click on the taskbar somewhere and click "customize...". You can add icons from the list on the left, and remove any from the list on the right. I think if you want to add icons that aren't available there you'd either need to somehow create a new taskbar, or edit the system registry to add new icons to the existing taskbars. I'm not sure on how to do either at this stage.

Mike.