PDA

View Full Version : No thing listed under Windos Setup in Add/Remove Programs

Catholic Lad
12-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Hi all

I wanted to add backup to my Windows 98 setup but when I went into Window Setup under Add/Remove Programs there was absolutely nothing listed. How do I bring the list back so I can Add/Remove Windows components?

Cheers.

Jacob4165
12-11-2003, 10:23 PM
start, settings, control panel,add remove programs, click on the windows components tab

Catholic Lad
13-11-2003, 12:56 AM
I did this and my point is the component list is completely blank. That is my problem. Nothing at all is listed. No options to add or remove.

Any ideas anyone.

peter.jonsson
13-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Try Tweak UI, might be of help...

Greg S
13-11-2003, 04:04 AM
Hate to give you bad news, but your quest is kaput - there's no way to recover the add/remove components if they're not listed

A way out is to re-install a programme, over the top of any existing one, and then it should be added to the list, then you should be able to remove it entirely.

Tweak UI won't help

somebody
13-11-2003, 08:32 AM
From memory, Backup can be installed directly from the Windows CD... Just browse the CD and look.

I'm not entirely sure though - haven't done this in years.

Jacob4165
13-11-2003, 12:53 PM
hmm try reinstalling win98 but chose the upgrade option (run setup from windows) this should repairs this and any relating errors while keeping most of your programs/hardware settings.

As a last resort export/make a copy of your favourites, documents, etc. and do a full install (might need to remove the windows directory first)

CYaBro
13-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Don't think this will work but worth a try before reinstall.

Do a search for a file called setupx.dll and rename to setupx.old

Then go to Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information - Tools menu - System File Checker

Then select extract one file from installation disk and type in setupx.dll then click start.
On the next page everything should be filled in for you so just click OK.

Now see if that has fixed your problem!

Catholic Lad
17-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Thanks.

I will give the suggestions a go on Tuesday when I'll be back in front of the offending machine and I'll let you know how it went.

Cheer.