PDA

View Full Version : Got carried away, bought Cyberdrive CD-RW, any good?

Billy T
11-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi Team

I went out to buy a new 52x CD ROM to replace the 24x in old faithful (birthday present for the old girl) and popped in to DSE for some other bits 'n pieces. Next thing I knew I was walking out with a 52x-24x-52x Cyberdrive CD-RW for $69 (incl).

Now, that is only a paltry $30 more than a straight CD ROM so I figured I couldn't go wrong, but what experience base is out there with Cyberdrives? I hope it is not like the Benqs & various other types that PF1 has heard about.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

beama
11-11-2003, 10:27 PM
mines serving me fine Billy and from the research I did before purchasing mine on google they seem to be a reputable company based in the states

Elephant
11-11-2003, 10:36 PM
I have never had one of these drives myself but have never heard anything against then either. The computers I have checked with these drives in there have hasn't been a problem with the drive.

bmason
11-11-2003, 10:40 PM
They wouldn't be my first choice, but I know with someone with an oldish 16x that is still going. He is in a band so it gets a lot of use.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
11-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Definitely not my first choice, but isn't it a bit too late to ask?

My opinion is that, they are ok if you burn every once a 'long time'. Definitely not good when used often.

Do you realise that you can get a much, much more reputable brand like CyQVe (formerly Ricoh), Aopen or even Samsung, for under the price of a Cyberdrive. e.g. CyQVe for $61 (incl. GST)

If I were you, I'd take it back and buy another more reputable brand, but again you could have got the good drive, like how I got a '101% satisfied BenQ' ;-)

Mzee
11-11-2003, 11:56 PM
I have just replaced my 8x cyber drive. It has done a lot of work & never faltered. My only complaint was the low speed, which was good at the time of purchase
My brother also has a 52x cyber drive & has no problems with it.

Greg S
12-11-2003, 12:01 AM
>" Got carried away, bought Cyberdrive CD-RW"

The last time I "got carried away" my experience was a hellava lot more pleasurable! :D

Go with your instincts! :)

Murray P
12-11-2003, 12:37 AM
You know where to come if you have problems with Billy, besides heading back to DSE. Whats the warranty?

Looking at a couple of reviews, it does pretty well. eg, CdrLabs (http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=165&page=Performance)

Cheers Murray P

ilikelinux
12-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Well........ Theyere not made by dse, so they should be fine.

Ilikelinux

Billy T
12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
No warranty terms are specified with the drive itself, so I assume that DSE's standard 12 months terms will apply.

I have absolutely no worries about DSE's warranty policies either, they have earned top marks from me on several occasions (as I have posted on PF1).

Sounds like getting carried away will not cause me too much of a problem so I'll install on the weekend and take it for a burn. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
[pre][b]I'm not really an impulse buyer you see,
I usually research carefully first.

event2
12-11-2003, 11:39 AM
i bought one and i give it a thrashing and its still going strong at good speed too

Baldy
12-11-2003, 01:54 PM
In my experience, it only pays to start worrying when things go wrong.

Just install and enjoy Billy