PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to partion my HDD

tedheath
11-11-2003, 07:43 PM
I have a AMD1200 computer with Hard drive as follows: 8.14gb (goback space included) used and 29.1gb spare. I think the hdd was supposed to be 40gb but explorer says 37.2gb.
I don't think the HDD will get any more stuff on it, in fact it will be less when I reformat it soon and napalm junk off it.
The question I have please is do I need to partition the C drive?
When I bought the hard drive from Henderson computers he said it was unnecessary to partition.
Does it make it faster,stop bloo screens of death etc?
I have looked thru the farqs for how to partition and will give it a try if you people can convince me of all the good reasons.
(I am bound to stuff it up lol)
:D

cheers
tedheath

BootyLicious
11-11-2003, 07:56 PM
If you are happy with the size of the partitions on your hdd then you don't have to repartition your hdd to reinstall windows just format c: before reinstalling windows.

tedheath
11-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Umm the HDD is not partitioned at the moment it is just one giant C drive.

tedheath

sanchez
11-11-2003, 08:10 PM
the guy you bought the pc from was right, there's no real need to partition a single drive.

tweak\'e
11-11-2003, 08:19 PM
the main reason is it makes things easier to keep things tidy and organised. it also makes maintaince a lot easier, defrag faster and you can format/reinstall windows without losing data on the other partitions.

kiwibeat
12-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Easiest way is to use Partition Magic 7 or 8 takes a while and always backup your essential data to cdr or another HDD before hand as there is a small possibility of data corruption for a 40 gig i would have at least 15 gigs as C: and the rest as a data hdd

kiwibeat
12-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Partition magic is easy as to use too dont need to be very computer literate at all welcome to contact me if you or anyone else needs further help in this field

tedheath
12-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replies where do I get partition magic?
Is it free? or will some dos thing do?

tedheath

somebody
12-11-2003, 03:39 PM
PartitionMagic is made by a company called PowerQuest. It costs $$$ to buy.

Depending on your version of Windows, you may be able to use FDISK (a dos utility which is on windows), as long as you don't mind losing all the data on your hard disk. you'll need to reformat after that.

Otherwise with WinXP, while you're installing you can choose to create multiple partitions at the start of the setup.

PoWa
12-11-2003, 06:53 PM
> I think the hdd was supposed to be 40gb but explorer says 37.2gb.

That would be because the hard drive manufacturers use a different measuring technique to everyone else. I think they measure the size in 1Megabyte = 1000Kilobytes or they might work it out by how many sectors and tracks on the disk. Windows measures it by the PC byte of 8bits, so 1Megabyte = 1024Kilobytes. Kinda misleading of them. ;)

Partitioning has its uses, and mostly all reasons are useful.

Rod J
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
I have used Partition Magic to partition my 40Gb drive into 7 partitions. That might sound excessive but I find it works a treat this way. Scandisk and Defrag work so much faster with only chunks of the drive to work on at a time, especially as I'm only running a Celeron 500. Another thing is as the partitions get larger the cluster size increases. I like to keep the cluster size less than 8k. That means smaller files create less wasted space. Partition Magic is worth the expense because it allows you to do so much. Besides being able to change the size/number of partitions at any time, you can change the cluster size etc as well, all without the loss of data (power failures notwithstanding ;)).

I keep the Windows partition as small as practicable and try not to install any applications on that drive. I recently reformatted this small C: partition and reinstalled Windows 98SE. I've had to reinstall some of my applications because bits of them were in the C: partition and some wouldn't work without their registry settings, but many applications are working fine because they are entirely on my Programs partition and fixed up their own registry settings.

Anyway, there's no way I'd go back to having a humungous single partition :-)

Greg S
13-11-2003, 03:23 AM
I agree with Rod and Tweakie - I used to be against the idea of partitions, but now I'll never have a big single one.

My main drive is in 4 - Operating System (WinXP Pro) 5G (wish I'd made it 10), Applications 20G, Games 20G, Data 30G.

I use my second drive split into two - 1 for backups, 1 for miscellaneous

If I only had one smaller drive say 30G, I'd just use 3 partitions - 1 for Windows, 1 for applications etc, 1 for backups - maybe 10 gigs each

Greg S
13-11-2003, 03:25 AM
Oh ya... if you have XP - it does the partitioning very nicely - no need for the recommended Partition Magic - apparently it's a wonderful product, but I've never tried it (no free version! LOL)

aperahama
13-11-2003, 09:45 AM
I'll been sold on the idea of partitioning my drives ever since I tried a partitioning scheme many years ago.

By various upgrade and other reason I now have three HDD in my machine. I have Win98, Programmes and back up partitions on one: games, win date and linux date on another: and various linux distro/data partitions on the third.

Its very handy to be able to back-up to separate disks/partition to enable system changes etc.

I've used Partition Magic 7.0 and found it easy to use although it does not recognize linux ext3 format.