PDA

View Full Version : I want to understand! (hardware)

Azrael
11-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Sourced from Tomshardware.com:

Quote:
"NVIDIA is stepping up to the plate with its high-end FX 5950, codenamed NV38 and the FX 5900 Ultra's successor, and the FX 5700 family, which will replace the FX 5600 line for mainstream applications...

The FX 5950 Ultra requires an external power supply. Directly atop the GPU sits the heatsink with its many fine fins, which stands in stark contrast to the big cooling element covering the memory chips."

An external supply? Would this just be like an ordinary plug into the wall from the graphic card? If not, how do you make sure you're not overloading the systems power supply?

Quote:
"Like the FX 5600 before it, the 5700 only has half as many pipelines as the top model. That means the chip has four pipes (Color + Z) running at 475MHz. At 365Vertices/s, the vertex performance is on the same level as that of the bigger models. On paper, that makes the 5700 Ultra look like a real performer. In practice, however, the comparatively narrow 128Bit bus prevents the card from achieving its full potential, especially when FSAA and anisotropic filtering are involved."

Ok. Now I get the gist of this but my question is. A 128bit bus doesn't sound terrible, you know? Will a 128bitbus service most gamers needs? Or with the Doom 3's and Half-Life 2's soon, maybe not?

sanchez
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
by external power supply tom means you plug a molex connector like the ones used to power hard drives into the card.

If your psu dosent like it, then your system will either become unstable, or the psu will start smoking ;)

If you can afford an FX5950, then an extra $150 for a decent power supply isnt too much to ask imho.

tweak\'e
11-11-2003, 09:11 PM
>An external supply? Would this just be like an ordinary plug into the wall from the graphic card? If not, how do you make sure you're not overloading the systems power supply?

the card uses either a 4pin molex (like a cd/hard drive) or a fopply drive power connector. they use that becaude the motherboard can't supply enought power to the card. just make sure you have a decent power supply in your pc. i find a lot of pc's with undersized powersupplys so adding a high end card like those can cause problems. just check the wattage rating of the power supply.