PDA

View Full Version : recording streaming audio

Hugh Jarse
11-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Hi People
Tell me, what is a good prog for recording off internet. I want to record a lecture of bbc4 as they have not put it lectures out on either tape or cd. I believe there are progs that can do this. I only have real audio and windows media player. Im running 98se.
rgds
Hugh

Terry Porritt
11-11-2003, 09:53 PM
I use Real Encoder 5.1 for that sort of thing. My interest is 1920s music where top quality isnt necessary.
Real Encoder 5.1 will record in mono at lower bit rates than most other encoders which are geared towards MP3s and CD quality.

With this program 1 hour mono recording is about 8MB or thereabouts.

It is easier and I find better than the later Real/Helix Producer for simple encoding.

The big problem these days is finding a download site, this is one:
http://www.openline.com.br/programas/real/renc51.exe

Hugh Jarse
12-11-2003, 07:19 PM
thanx for reply terry
I started to set up the prog and it said to enter the RealAudio Server??
what do I put in that box?? what do they mean by realaudio server? Im a bit thick!
rgds
Hugh

Terry Porritt
12-11-2003, 10:25 PM
How odd. Just to check, I re-installed real encoder, running renc51.exe and I dont get that box.

It asks you to accept the eula terms and conditions etc, it asks for a name and email address, which incidently all you need to enter is anything like the example name@company.com, then it asks for confirmation of the Destination Directory, C:\Real\Encoder, then it asks you to click Finish, and it proceeds to complete the install.

Then from C:\Real\Encoder the program to run is rvencode.exe. You could put a shortcut to this somewhere and call it Real Encoder. It asks you to register now, or remind me later. It's not worth registering as it is no longer supported, so click remind me later.

You then get a New Session Wizard, and to record streaming audio, select Record From Media Device.

Then after the next page check the Capture Audio box, then you enter the title, author and copyright. You can anything you like in those boxes that makes sense for your recording, eg BBC lecture, BBC4, Copyright 2003.

Then on the next page select the "Target Audience", I usually use 56k modem, but you could use 28k modem, and on the next page choose Voice Only, and dont choose Stereo. This will give the lowest bit rate which is adequate for recording a talk.

On the final page, there are Start and Stop buttons, and a Recording level meter, so that you can see it is recording properly.
Ignore the web Publishing buttons, these are for putting audio/video onto a website.

The other thing you have to do is open the Volume controls from the speaker icon, go to Options-Properties, click on Recording, and ensure the Mix box (in WinXP) or Mixed Output (in win98) is checked, then check the Select box for the Mix volume control.

Generally this volume control will be set at quite a low level to prevent overloading.

Instead of the Wizard Mode to set up a recording, there is an alternative 'Advanced Mode' button.

Now just why you are being asked for a Real server, I just dont know.

Brain_Cell_Anon
04-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Terry!
That link appears to be 'dead' now (or at least it gets diverted, and the site is Brazilian I think, so I don't understand a word! {:o) )
Any others in that treasure trove mind of yours?
The Cell

Chilling_Silence
05-05-2005, 01:24 AM
http://www.videolan.org
VideoLAN Client (VLC)
All you'll ever need :)

Terry Porritt
05-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Terry!
That link appears to be 'dead' now (or at least it gets diverted, and the site is Brazilian I think, so I don't understand a word! {:o) )
Any others in that treasure trove mind of yours?
The Cell

If you want to encode in Real Media/audio format, then Real Encoder 5.1 has almost vanished, this is the only site I can find now:

http://www.lol.it/download/real/renc51.exe

Otherwise it would be Real Producer,
http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/

Or go along with Chills suggestion for other formats.

The reason I use Encoder 5.1 is that it will record at low bit rates appropriate to the quality of music I listen too. Many encoders won't do that as they emphasise high quality high bit rate, and then of course file sizes become immense.

Misty
05-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Software Publisher's Description

PolderbitS Sound Recorder and Editor helps you transfer tapes, LPs, live performances, Internet radio, TV, DVD, or any other sound source to your hard drive. The software helps protect your valuable recordings--just set the sound source, the recording quality, and volume, then start recording. The Editor automatically splits your wave recording into multiple tracks, and you can trim the start and end of each track or use fade-in and fade-out functions. You can save recordings in WAV or MPEG (MP3) media formats, and then use your standard CD-burner software to burn your recordings to CD. It includes a click and crackle filter for cleaning vinyl records, a noise filter for cassette-tape recordings, and an equalizer to enhance the sound quality of all recordings.

Download.com Review of PolderbitS Sound Recorder and Editor 4

This tool combines a recorder and a basic sound editor that automatically detects tracks and cuts out silent periods. In most cases, PolderbitS Sound Recorder and Editor requires no more than a few clicks to convert your cassette or LP into a set of digital audio tracks. It saves tracks in either WAV or MP3 format, but you can only record in WAV. Scheduling capabilities make it possible to record an Internet radio transmission at a certain hour and stop recording after a given time. The editor mainly serves for cutting, but it also can add fade-in and fade-out to tracks as well as remove crackles and noise. Our only complaint is that the interface is old-fashioned (perhaps to appeal to conservative LP listeners) and a bit confusing. PolderbitS Sound Recorder and Editor would suit people looking to digitize their cassette or LP collections.

License: Free to try ; US $36.95 to buy

You can try FREE unlimited usage for a fortnight and then extend for another fortnight.I have bought it specifically for recording streaming audio
Misty :D

ramu
21-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Dear Misty

I happened to stumble upon your comments on the polderbit S recorder/editor. I tried its trial version today and feel like I must buy it.

My disappointment is that I have recetnly bought the Crative Audgy 2 zs.
It comes with a software where you can do everything the polderbit S has.

But somehow my recording efforts have not been successful with Creative stuff. I don't know why. Every connection etc are done properly which I have proved today with recording the the polderbit S! Also I paid a lot of money for the Creative.

Do you have any suggestions. And if I decide to buy the polderbit S, is there any way I can buy that in NZ and if so, how much.

Your valuable opinions will be hihgly appreciated.

Cheers
ramu

juicytree
21-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I use Total Recorder and recommend it - lots of options in both the format of the recording as well as scheduling etc. It will record anything that you can hear thru your speakers/headset.
Can be found at http://www.HighCriteria.com

Misty
21-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Dear Misty

Do you have any suggestions. And if I decide to buy the polderbit S, is there any way I can buy that in NZ and if so, how much.
Cheers
ramu

Hi Ramu
As far as I know you can only buy it through the internet. It is relatively expensive - though I have no regrets ! Using a converter the current price of US$35-99 works out at NZ$50-63. However - when you compare the cost with the purchase of two CD's then it is not really a lot. Buying through a secure connection on the internet has worked well for the number of things we have bought.

You could try emailing them from their website. I did find that they answered really promptly (ie within 24 hours) and were helpful.
cheers
Misty :)

ramu
21-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks Alistair. Let me try it first.

Cheers mate

Misty
21-05-2005, 10:17 PM
I use Total Recorder and recommend it - lots of options in both the format of the recording as well as scheduling etc. It will record anything that you can hear thru your speakers/headset.
Can be found at http://www.HighCriteria.com

One of the main things about Poldarbits is that it very easily breaks up your recording into separate tracks. It seems that to do this with "Total Recorder" that you need to buy the "Professional" version which is US$11-95 + US24 which in total = US$35-95 which is NZ$56-76. Even then, going on the wording, I am not truly sure that it will split by track. It does give a number of options, which seem a bit obscure. ....But then, I am probably a bit paranoid. Also, splitting into tracks, which is important to me, may be insignificant to others.

Would be really interested to hear your experiences, juicytree ;)
Misty

Valerie
21-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ comes with easy to follow manuals.

zqwerty
22-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Valerie looks like a good program to me but unfortunately for me at least the download will not work for version 1.2.3, all I get is a 14kb file which opens and the protection on my computer says is viral, the zip alternate download comes in about the same size but winzip says it is not a valid file. I tried downloading from an alternate source but still got the same result. I have got version 1.2 though from another source maybe it will turn out to be the latest version.

The sourceforge d/l seems to be corrupted in some way. Could you check that, it won't take long, if it is ok on your computer then the download will go on for more than a few seconds then you could stop if you don't want to mess around d/ling the whole file.

I will check back to get confirmation that what I am saying is so.

ramu
22-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks Misty.

zqwerty
22-05-2005, 06:32 PM
I have got the program from elsewhere so no problem, disregard my previous post, thanks.

zqwerty
22-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Wanted to say that having played around with Audacity for about 10 hours, I am very pleased and if you want to clean up MP3's, ie get rid of overlong beginning silences or ends or mix in files, get rid of unwanted noises, also possible to zoom right in to the individual parts of the waveform and adjust cycle by cycle if you wish and much more then you will find this to be a useful addition. The recording ability is only one capability that the program has.

Misty
16-06-2005, 09:14 PM
So Ramu - what did you decide on in the end ?
Misty :rolleyes:

Todd1
09-03-2006, 01:09 PM
[spam removed]