PDA

View Full Version : Perfect for Spam!

ilikelinux
11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Ihug on spam filtering set to "Assasin" and Kmail.

As Ihug deletes most spam, and kmail enables you to bounce the rest.\

Peeeeeeerfect

segfault
11-11-2003, 07:29 PM
There isn't really much point in bouncing spam. Most spam is sent from addresses that don't exist, and when the account does exist, chances are that the account isn't checked at all. Somehow I don't think Joe Spammer is going to cross people off his spam list that he has received bounces from. By bouncing spam all you are doing is creating even more needless traffic on the internet.

stu140103
11-11-2003, 07:43 PM
> By bouncing spam all you are doing is creating even more needless
> traffic on the internet.

Yeath, but it feels good :D :p ]:)

ilikelinux
12-11-2003, 09:32 AM
good to get rid of stress though.

]:) ]:) ]:) ]:) ]:) ]:) ]:) ]:)
:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

p.s ilike these emoticons: how can you tell?

Susan B
12-11-2003, 02:49 PM
> good to get rid of stress though.

There are much better ways to relieve stress than bouncing emails you know. ;-)

Graham L
12-11-2003, 03:21 PM
It feels good? Wouldn't you feel better if the Internet ran faster becuase it wasn't clogged by bounced spam?

There is a limit to the bandwidth available. Every bit of rubbish slows a bit of real information.

It is totally irresponsible to bounce spam. Just delete it.

ilikelinux
12-11-2003, 04:24 PM
yes, but if the spammer is dumb, and they are spamming from a real address, they will gett the bounced message and then they will probably take you off their list!

cyberchuck
12-11-2003, 06:58 PM
The thing is - how many dumb spammers do you know?
I agree with Graham - the less trash circulating the internet the better... Even stupid things like those mass forwards which say send this to 10 friends and you'll receive something in the next 24hrs..
Emails don't consume that much bandwidth I know, but the less there is the more bandwidth available...

Also spam could arguably be a 2 way thing - I have 3 email accounts which I use - one is a private one which is also my MSN login (I've already kicked myself) and that gets no spam, the second is one for the sole purpose of newsletters and mailers and that hasn't received spam yet. The last one is one I use for online forms where I only want to try something or don't want to put out my real account - that's clogged with spam (and it's not Hotmail :p)...
The point is how proactive are you when it comes to minimizing the risks you have of getting spam?

agent
12-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Exactly... how many people do you know that have email addresses such as "info@advancedbusinesssolutionsthatworkforyoumakehe apsofmoneyinnotimeandgetrichquick.com"?

They totally violate the length limitations of domains, and think people will be that gullible (mind you, some people are...).

ilikelinux
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
well its just the fact that it is only Once a week.

Plus don't forget that there isn't just one server to host all the internet .........

Mike
12-11-2003, 07:15 PM
> There isn't really much point in bouncing spam. Most
> spam is sent from addresses that don't exist, and
> when the account does exist, chances are that the
> account isn't checked at all. Somehow I don't think
> Joe Spammer is going to cross people off his spam
> list that he has received bounces from. By bouncing
> spam all you are doing is creating even more needless
> traffic on the internet.

Actually a lot of spam comes from "legitimate" spammers :D who get paid to spam people and use bought email lists to spam to. Many of them will remove bounced addresses as it speeds up their spamming to "non-bounced" addresses.

In theory bouncing the spam would work... unfortunately there are still a lot of spammers who do just that... spam :p

Mike.

ilikelinux
12-11-2003, 07:19 PM
finnaly somewone whos on my side....

segfault
12-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Well if I was a spammer I wouldn't bother removing addresses that don't exist. Most spammers are connected to massive pipes, so it would take them longer to remove bounced addresses than to just spam them anyway. They aren't stupid either.

Who says they are using addresses that actually exist anyway? There is plenty of evidence of spammers forging mail headers to appear that they are coming from real addresses. That way, poor joe@joesisp.co.nz gets the bounces and not the spammer.

agent_24
12-11-2003, 07:59 PM
i just send it back saying go away or ill sue you, with an attached virus.