PDA

View Full Version : how to boot into linux?

Megaman
11-11-2003, 04:09 PM
i have just got redhat linux on 3 cds and was wondering if i could get it to boot from floppy. if so how? its sequence is floppy,HD,CD_ROM,PCI and i would like to know, is it safe to change?

mejobloggs
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Why not boot from the CD? Much easier i thought.

I don't see why it is not safe too change, because you can just change it back again.

I have just install linux, by booting fromt the cd, and i am a complete newbie at these things.

Graham L
Have a look at the first CD. You will find a directory called DOSUTILS, and oantgher called IMAGES. (These will probably be under the RedHat directory). There is a programe called RAWRITE2.EXE which will write any of the 1.4MB .img files in the IMAGES directory to floppies. The instructions are in one of the README or INSTALL files. These are all readable under DOS or Windows. There is also a .BAT file which can be used to start the installation from DOS, which might work.

But yes, you can change the boot order. I would suggest floppy, CD, HD .

That way, if you don't have a bootable floppy in, the CD will start.

bmason
There are bootdisk images on the first CD. In windows you can use rawwritewin (in the DOSUTILS directory). Select the file IMAGES\BOOTDISK.IMG to write to the disk.

Otherwise it is safe the change the boot order, and can be changed back if you do make a mistake (eg leaving out HDD).