PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Provider



robkcald
11-11-2003, 02:41 AM
Hi, This request my seem a little strange to some of you guys but I'm currently living in the UK, but will be moving over to NZ in the New Year.

My problem is that here in the UK I have NTL broadband, with a download speed of 1024Kbps and upload of 256Kbps, with no limit on how much bandwidth I use.

Whilst checking out the availablity of broadband / ADSL connections, Jet Stream sems to be the main supplier of this service but you have to pay for your bandwidth (MB usage). Is there any other suppliers and what would you say was the best plan to go for, taking into mind that I build system and do windows updates (and we all know how big these can be).

Many thanks for any info.

metla
11-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Depends where you are planning to settle,but no one comes close to what you currently have.

And they are all expensive,slow and capped.

Still,at least there coverage is limited.

Chilling_Silently
11-11-2003, 08:16 AM
A few things come to mind:
Firstly, remember that because of telecom and their disgusting approach to pricing that NZ is pretty behind in the broadband arena.

You might be interested in Whoosh wireless, with 256kbps up/download, un-capped.

AFAIK, ClearNET are offering some sort of 256kbps connection with large or no cap.

Dont go JetStream Home, you'll blow it in a day by the sounds of things.

Failing all else, ICONZ (And perhaps MaxNet, I never bother to check) do unlimited transfer for national and international. Im with Ihug who offer great service, and give me 10gigs international and unlimited national. So far Ive done about 5 gigs national in 11 days, whilst only two gigs international!!

Hope this helps


Chill.

cyberchuck
11-11-2003, 09:16 AM
> Whilst checking out the availablity of broadband / ADSL connections, Jet Stream
> sems to be the main supplier of this service but you have to pay for your bandwidth > (MB usage).

Jetstream is not a supplier of ADSL in NZ - Telecom is. Jetstream is just the name given to ADSL services (by Telecom) which is managed through the ISP's. Instead of going for the fullrate Jetstream Plans (Jetstream is speeds of 2mbps or greater depending on your distance from the exchange and so forth), go for one of the Jetstream Starer plans which is 128kbps and anywhere between 5GB - 15GB for an international cap - for downloads find yourself a few good NZ Mirrors and you'll generally be ok.

For large files or ones you generally download a lot - such as WindowsUpdates - find yourself a spare 2GB and download them all then install them locally. Saves bandwidth although it just means you have to monitor when new patches and fixes come out and then download them to the archive.

TelstraClear have their own ADSL service however your connection is shared with the other users which generally means that if someone is downloading the latest CS 1.6 Steam client (for use of a large file) you may find that your service slows down itself. There are no caps from what I have seen, but when I looked at it, you had to use one of their routers for the service.

If you really want to get a large file (this is practically limited to game patches and so forth), try the JSG Realm which is full rate Jetstream (free service from Telecom) but you're limited to the 2 FTP Servers that run on the domain and Paradise.net's gaming servers.


CyberChuck

stu140103
11-11-2003, 11:29 AM
As Chilling_Silently said NZ is pretty behind in the broadband arena.

Depends on where you are going to live in NZ, you have a few options

1. ADSL JetStreams starters (128K caped You can get a 5 / 10 / 15 GB transfer limit) (in my option this is your best option for now)
Note: telecom now says that JetStreams Starter is not Broadband, so they is a bit of confusion their :D

Or one of the new streams plans (256K) but the data caps are small! :( Only 500 MB one of the plans….

2. Cable - in some places in NZ you can get cable Internet, ISP like telstraclear and a few others offer this, but it depends on where in NZ you going to go

3. Whoosh wireless (with 256kbps up/download, un-capped.), but you can (for now) only get it in a few places in NZ e.g. like in a few places in Auckland etc….

But they is a few other options, but make sure you shop around and ask questions

I hope this helps

PS: you might want to do a search of Press F1 for more info about Whoosh or Broadband in NZ and how bad it is ;) :)

Also you might what to have a look here as well for ISP which offer ADSL/cable etc… http://www.netguide.co.nz/isp_directory/index.php?directory=highspeed

cyberchuck
11-11-2003, 11:46 AM
> PS: you might want to do a search of Press F1 for more info about Whoosh or
> Broadband in NZ and how bad it is ;-) :p

I wouldn't have said that - Woosh doesn't offer a bad service because it's just a revamped WalkerWireless service and WalkerWireless had some damn good technology for handling highspeed services. Also their wireless router is pretty trendy in comparison to some of the ADSL routers out there.
The problem with Woosh is that they couldn't get antenna up where they wanted them (they wanted one on Big King up on the ThreeKings mountain but were turned down because of the risk of microwave radiation or something stupid like that... The community board didn't click that it posed the same risk as cellphones which is pretty low IIRC). That would've served me nicely :D...
I talked to them at the ICE Expo this year and they said they were hoping to have all of Auckland covered by the end of 2004, greater Auckland by something like 2005 and if the demand was high they were hoping to further extend into other regions.

Unfortunately it seems like it hasn't gone as planned. So their intended 'big rollout' of High Speed services didn't end up being as 'big' as they initally wanted it to be because they couldn't cover the regions they needed/wanted...

segfault
11-11-2003, 11:54 AM
> You might be interested in Whoosh wireless, with
> 256kbps up/download, un-capped.

Coverage varies, but is getting better. Expensive to set up (although a friend of mine was sold a Woosh modem direct from Woosh for $250). The "cap" is 10 times the median usage. If you go over that you won't get charged for extra, but they will recommend you switch to a different plan.

> AFAIK, ClearNET are offering some sort of 256kbps
> connection with large or no cap.

I've been told that this is only a business connection and they will not connect residential customers to it. Price was $100+ per month if memory serves me correctly.

stu140103
11-11-2003, 12:31 PM
> > PS: you might want to do a search of Press F1 for
> more info about Whoosh or
> > Broadband in NZ and how bad it is ;-) :p
>
> I wouldn't have said that - Woosh doesn't offer a bad
> service because it's just a revamped WalkerWireless
> service

I was Not saying how bad Whoosh is(I do apologise if it seem like that :8}), I was saying how bad Broadband in NZ is.

stevie_boy
11-11-2003, 09:59 PM
As Stu has previously said:

> Depends on where you are going to live in NZ, you
> have a few options

If you are going to be living in the area between Papakura South and Pukekohe (and possibly part of the King Country - not to sure about this though) then you might just be able to be hooked up to WiredCountry (http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz/). Check the coverage map (http://www.wiredcountry.co.nz/coverage.html) for details.

WiredCountry wholesales access to their fibre/wireless network to various ISPs including ICONZ (http://www.iconz.co.nz/products/wired-country-residential.html) who currently have the most competitive plans: flat rate 128K @ $65/month, flat rate 256K @ $85/month and flat rate 512K @ $110/month.
Installation costs just $80 and I think the monthly charge includes the rental of the router.
Also, if you join before December then your speed will be upsized ~10 times until March 2004 for free. i.e. 128K -> 1Mbps, 256K -> 2Mbps, 512K -> 5Mbps.
Once March 2004 rolls around they are supposed to releasing even better plans.

Of course you have to be within their coverage area to get great value broadband like this. Almost makes you want to move there doesn't it?!? ;)

csinclair83
11-11-2003, 10:38 PM
not related but just curious how did you find pressf1?
I would assume if you were in NZ that you found from a m8 or purchased PC World....but UK? got a kiwi friend or...?

Greg S
12-11-2003, 12:10 AM
> not related but just curious how did you find
> pressf1?
> I would assume if you were in NZ that you found from
> a m8 or purchased PC World....but UK? got a kiwi
> friend or...?

Easy peasy lemon squeezy - heard of Google?

robkcald
17-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Hi, and many thanks to you guys for all your advice and help.

I will be hopefully living in NZ once all the paperwork has been sorted out in the new year. I found PressF1 from the New Zealand PC World web site, I got a copy of the magazine when I was over in NZ in August, had a great 3 weeks in your country with my now wife who has family in the Levin area.

Now I know where to come to for advice etc, many thanks.