PDA

View Full Version : Membership

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 09:25 PM
I've been a Member of Press F1 for a year now and this is my 69th post ...

What do people think of these forums ?
How long do they spend on them in a year ?
How many posts do they do in a year ?

I was wondering what the average age of members are ?

-=JM=-
10-11-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm 20 and spend well basically when I'm not at tech or work I'm here. Which is a hang of a lot of the time.

beetle
10-11-2003, 10:02 PM
well hello there,

i have been here since er Feb? 2003 and have a large amount of posts, and i think of this forum as my extended family, and they are able to answer almost any query i ask, and possibly even fix some of them.... :p

and i spend a large amount of time here at times then it may be days before i get back but it's the one consistent thing i read on the net.
how much time do i spend on forums? the only forum i use is PF1 amd id say half my year is on pf1? approximately of course.
and i have no idea what the average poster would do but then apparently beetle posting is a special topic and you must'nt go by the number of posts on this one. as i have far more than what the average may be.?

and the age of people?
anything from 11- 99 i think?
and no im not telling any body how old the beetle is....

there's lots of young one's and there's also a very large amount of knowledgeable ones as well, (this has no age relation) there are the funny ones and the most helpful one's as well, and you get an enormous amount of lookers and lurkers who may never post at all.

and if you post something it may take minutes for it to be answered or days for the right person to spot it and answer it.... nothing is certain ....

personally i find a lot of help, comfort and especially laughter on pf1 and that is what makes it special, people helping people no questions asked - this is very rare these days.

hope that helps and we shall see what else comes out of the woodwork so to speak.

beetle

Chilling_Silently
10-11-2003, 10:03 PM
> I've been a Member of Press F1 for a year now and
> this is my 69th post ...

Its good to hear people are sticking around.. and that regulars dont bore them to death ;-)

> What do people think of these forums ?

Forum, there's only one forum (And a great one at that!).
I think its brilliant, as it has been a help to myself many times, and Im sure I've helped many people also!

> How long do they spend on them in a year ?

I average an hour a day, or 356 a year.

> How many posts do they do in a year ?

I think I've done around 3 1/2K in a year, however we're after quality not quantity :-)

> I was wondering what the average age of members are
> ?

Im 16 and proud of it... Just goes to show that experience and knowledge doesnt have to come with gray hairs ;-)

Laura
10-11-2003, 10:19 PM
As curiosity is a fine thing - to be encouraged, they say - may I ask what prompted you to raise your posts tally from 50 yesterday to 69 today on your anniversary?
Do we call it your PF1 birthday present - or maybe it's yours to PF1?
Either way, do have a balloon & a paper hat for the accomplishment...

mikebartnz
10-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Well done Chilling comming from an old fart I have also noticed how mature your are and a great help to the PF1 community.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
10-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Haha, age... um... :8} I'm 14 :D

mikebartnz
10-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Ok ~~~~~ s y ~~~~~ I will give you the same pat on the back.

Chilling_Silently
10-11-2003, 11:22 PM
> and a great help to the PF1 community.

To be honest, its the great feedback from other users, esp. ones I've helped out that's what keeps me coming back.
That and the fact Im always learning.. I've learned so much from just watching the threads that I play no part in.

... Does that come with a chocie fish by any chance?? ;-) :p

Laura
11-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Ask us that again on 21st April 2004

JJJJJ
11-11-2003, 04:22 AM
I've been around here for two or so years. Probably since F1 went on line. I probably average about 30 minutes a day. Number of posts, numerous.
I'm rather surprised how young some of the regulars are.And smart.
As a point of interest when I was Chill's age the biggest advance in tecnowledgy (?) was when we were allowed to use fountain pens at school and throw out our ink wells.
Age. Hmm. Lets just say I've been on the old age pension for 15 years.
Jack

beama
11-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Me, as old as as I feel on the day, belong to a couple of other forums. Been involved with computing since DOS 3 and 40 meg hard drives were considered the cutting edge. Oh and I also remember this kid called Bill Gates being interveiwed in the States on my two colour tv (Black and White) :D.
My first pc, Ataria 520st (which is still being used and going today)
As far as this forum Im a newbie, isnt nice to be young again ;\

ilikelinux
11-11-2003, 06:55 AM
i spend at least 1-2 hours on press f1 every day, and i'm 13.

Susan B
11-11-2003, 07:31 AM
Excellent value for the money. :D
Have been here off and on since the forum began in 1998 (?) but most regularly in the past three years. The regulars are much more friendly these days (well, most of them) and the forum has a good community feeling. What keeps me here are the laughs. :-)

I would hate to think. :O

A lot. :D

> I was wondering what the average age of members are ?
All I am saying is > 30. ;-)

Billy T
11-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Me too Sis :x >30........ :8}

Time? Hard to estimate, I have several computers running and keep one logged on for a reasonable proportion of the day. I check in at tea breaks, lunch breaks, dinner breaks, work breaks, yawn breaks, stretch breaks and just plain goofing off breaks. I work too.:p

Posts? As for most of the long term regulars, more than the current listed number as we were on the old-format Forum first, and quite a few were on the beta test for the new format and racked up 200+ posts there as well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

Mike
11-11-2003, 08:53 AM
> I've been a Member of Press F1 for a year now and
> this is my 69th post ...

Glad you're still around :)

This isn't a forum... it's a family :D

This is the first site I go to whenever I connect to the net... and it stays open until I disconnect (well usually) - that could be minutes or hours a day.

Well I've done a couple of thousand in the last year, but before my daughter was born and I got a job I was here much more and posted a few more than I do now.

But how many you post has nothing to do with it - anyone can post, its a matter of making the post worthwhile, especially if you're answering someone's question (which is the main reason we're here, isn't it?)

Average age? No idea. But I'm 25.

Mike.

fergie
11-11-2003, 09:09 AM
hi.
I'm 16, been here for over a year.
I check this site everyday for updates - I usually just read the post's - and only post myself if theres something i need to no, or i'm sure i no how to help someone.

But its a great site - I've learnt alot from it!

Winston001
11-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Been a member about 9 months. PF1 is an excellent and friendly forum.
I may spend an hour here each day but sometimes don't visit for a week or two. A bit too addictive.
I'm not sure what my average age is? Mean, median or mode?

Cheers
Winston001

PS However I do remember the shocking news that pupils were allowed to use ballpoint pens in class.

Thomas
11-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Been coming here for about 12 months,I like all the characters ,the different degrees of ability,some all knowing some who think they know,then there is the likes of me who will never know.
One person is proud of being 16,or is it what they know at 16,found that comment interesting.
For some reason there is a coyness about age,I say out with it,I'm 14;)

Oxie
11-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, this is the only one I visit on a regular basis. I think PressF1 is excellent. I have learned so much since visiting tbe site.

I started coming here in August of 2002. I am not sure how much time I spend reading the forums, but let's say I have my browser open at PressF1 continuously from 9 am until around 10 pm each day.

I don't post a lot, having made 243 posts since August 2002. I read far more than I post.

> ?
Hmm, well I will follow Susan B - and say I am >30, but <50 ;)

Oxie

heaton
11-11-2003, 02:38 PM
I am 79 years of age and have been a member for some months only. I have found the answers to my problems been given by more experienced people to be very very helpful and greatly appreciated. The tone of the postings is a credit to members young and old and I shall continue to enjoy this site.
Cheers all......heaton

Happy Harry
11-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Well, Ive been visiting for about 18 months. I've been in IT since before the word was invented fixing, mechanical bookkeeping machines and evolving since then.
This forum is extemely interesting and a great help to all members on a variety of issues.
I try to visit at least once a day

Cheers
HH

kiwibeat
11-11-2003, 04:37 PM
been here about for over a year now always something interesting to read and have learnt a fair amount since i have been here am over 40
My 1st PC was a atari 600xl with tape drive and 32k of ram cost over $1200 , back in the C64 days

ntddevsys
11-11-2003, 04:48 PM
I decided to come a much more active member in this community, as its good learning for an under 15 year old.

How many people Watch Topics and then get like 100 messages the next day about updates, when they login

If you dont mind me asking
How did you find out how many posts i'd done yesterday ?

I'm hopeing to have a Posts figure 10 times what i have now, by 10/11/2004.

Susan B
11-11-2003, 04:59 PM
> I decided to come a much more active member in this community, as its good learning for an under 15 year old.
Glad to hear it, we all learn from each other. :-)

>How many people Watch Topics and then get like 100 messages the next day about updates, when they login
I used to but it sort of got out of hand at times so I rarely use Watch Topic now.

> If you dont mind me asking
> How did you find out how many posts i'd done yesterday ?
If you click on your Username you get a list of all your posts and when they were made, amongst other details. ;-)

> I'm hopeing to have a Posts figure 10 times what i have now, by 10/11/2004.
B-)

beetle
11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
but Thomas you said you were married and also to old for me????? LOL
:p
:D

be the best age you can be.

beetle

zqwerty
11-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Yes I see many names here that I recognise. I am new here but so impressed with the spirit of the site. I have got a great deal of help from the posts I have put up and I am sure there will be many more cries for help from me. I have worked in electronics all my life and know a fair amount about some hardware and my knowledge of software is increasing fast. It is often hard to find people who will share their knowledge willingly and I really appreciate it.
Oh by the way I am 54. Best wishes to you all as we move into the future. I do a fair amount of surfing the web every day and Press F1 has become a regular stop.
Robert Worrill.

ntddevsys
12-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks Everyone,
Been Really Interesting

NTDDEVSYS
Roseneath, Wellington and Whitford, Auckland

dumb-bell
13-11-2003, 11:46 AM
I check up morning and night to find information useful to me and am very happy with the replies I get to my queries. Been on board all this year and long may it continue. 32 postings so far. 82 years old so I'm having to cram things in a bit, but with all the modern technology coming along I'm not so sure that I'm winning.

Dumb bell.

mark c
13-11-2003, 12:20 PM
I come here twice a week. the days I have internet access.
Starting computing in 87 with a COBOL course. Now run two comps for a local organization, use of them is perk for me.
52 and got a bald patch.

Mostly a lurker over the last two years I've been coming here. I don't make many posts because I don't have any problems I can't solve myself.

And. I think a lot of that is because I've been coming here so long. Learnt about Preview Pane in OE and all about firewalls and adware and spyware and dodgyware and viruses etc etc.

Keep scratching my head trying to think of a post to make but everything darn well works!

LOL

Not exactly irritating. I know I could go into the registry and swing a cat around keep me busy but can't see the point in wilful damage.

Thank you PressF1

OldEric
13-11-2003, 03:34 PM
I enjoy F1 and find them informative

Spend about 30 mins a day mainly reading the posts

50 posts in 12 months, I'll never make the 1000

Very close to 70 now... and still working... when I feel like it!

OldEric