PDA

View Full Version : System Partition on wrong drive

htennent
10-11-2003, 08:53 PM
I have one 80 gig hard drive with two 40 gig partitions. First partion is drive C: and it is the boot partition, and it contains a Windows XP Pro Installation. Drive D: is a data partition consisting of lots of DivX videos. Unfortunately, it is also the System partition. I would like to know how I can get my system to look for the ntldr, boot.ini, ntdetect.com etc on drive C: rather then be dependent on the other partition. I want drive C to be the System Partition (Along with boot partition). Im guessing I have to make it active, but of course disk management's in-built protection wont let me remove it off the wrong drive first.

peter.jonsson
11-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Partition Magic + some edit boot.ini can do the trick.

Merlin
11-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Backup and reinstall

Any other method has a high potential for losing access to the second partition/logical drive.

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

htennent
11-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Im looking for a non-destructive method. I would think it would be a shame that I would need to re-install the entire OS to fix this niggle of a problem. My Data partition is fully backed-up and im ready to try a solution if you have one that will work.

Anyone know how Intel-based machines decide which partition to seek ntlrdr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini from? Im thinking that I need to make the boot partition active, but disk management wont let me remove the wrong partition, and its impossible to have two active, then delete the old.