PDA

View Full Version : Where does IE6 store a quicktime MOV when you view it?

robo
10-11-2003, 07:50 PM
I just went and found a short movie, and I want to save it. Can view it repeatedly without re-downloading it. It is 38Mb, where the heck does Windows XP store it whilst I view it? Once I close the IE6 window, I assume it is gone for good.

I have used Explorer to search, repeatedly, by file name, file type, modified today, you name it. No results. I am sure it is simply not looking in the right place (I can view all system and hidden files, etc).

I have searched the directories that seem most likely to be, manually. Still no joy.

Suggestions?
robo.

Billy T
10-11-2003, 07:57 PM
It is in your temporary internet files robo, so search by date and it will be near the top of the list. It will have the correct suffix but will probably have a random name

This is why I use Ztree because it hauls up these files ina trice and you can rename them and move them to your wanted folder in a trice.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ilikelinux
10-11-2003, 08:18 PM
you might have your settings so that it cleans up temporory net files after you close ie.

In this case there gone.

tweak\'e
10-11-2003, 08:52 PM
not to sure if it would be in IE's cache or quicktimes.

Terry Porritt
10-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Not sure in XP, but what I used to do in Win98 for transient files that disappeared when IE was closed was to clear out temporary internet files and open that folder on the desktop. Then start to play the file, you should see the file name appear, and until it is complete it will say 0KB.

When the file is finished, leave the browser open, and copy the file from temporary internet files folder to another one. When IE is closed the transient file goes, but you will be left the the copied version.

That hopefully should do what you want, robo.

robo
10-11-2003, 09:21 PM
That's the thing, the whole temp folder, which includes the temporary internet files folder, is like 6Mb in size and this movie is 38Mb! It's hiding pretty well.
It can't be stored in RAM, and it is still here because the window is still open.
Darndest thing.
Hang on, don't go away.
(goes and checks a theory)
Got it! It's here, isn't it (doh!)
C:\Documents and Settings\Rob.Domain\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Should have remembered. Explorer never looks in here, see, it knows we am too stoopid and dangerous to be allowed in that big foldery area with the file-ly and documenty things in it. The big pink pixie wouldn't like us fooling in there. Even if we did say we knew what we was doing.
Well, solved it. Very deja vu - again (had very similar problem on a friend's machine a while back).
Cheers
robo.

Jim B
10-11-2003, 09:53 PM
If you pay for Quicktime Pro it allows movies to be saved.

An easier method may be to do the following
To save a QuickTime video without QuickTime Pro, view the video first. After viewing a QuickTime video for the first time, return to the original web page (where you launched the video), and right-click to bring up the 'Save this link as...' menu. Be sure to save the video as a 'source' document (rather than as 'text'), and you can immediately copy the video from your web browser cache (where it was deposited when you played it the first time) to any selected location on your hard drive

bmason
10-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Under quicktime settings (you might need to start the separate player), in browser settings there is a tick box "Use browser cache". It was off for me, and it sounds like it might be useful.

Otherwise install mozilla or firebird, choose page info (right click on the page), media tab, find the movie and hit save as.

Jen C
10-11-2003, 10:10 PM
> Otherwise install mozilla or firebird, choose page
> info (right click on the page), media tab, find the
> movie and hit save as.

What a great tip - thanks :D

Didn't realise Firebird could do that! Just gave it a whirl and it works a treat. :)