PDA

View Full Version : Local Area Connection Properties

Annanz
10-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Was looking at my Local Area Connection Properties in Windows XP Professional and notice this box that was unticked.

Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about. This is how you get there, go to: Control Panel / Network Connections and Double Click on Local Area Connection Enabled then Click on Properties then Click on Advanced Tab.

You will see a box where you can tick all untick (Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet.)

Do you need to tick this box??? This box is unticked by default.

ilikelinux
10-11-2003, 07:36 PM
no, not at all, unless you have a wireless network un protected.

Elephant
10-11-2003, 07:46 PM
This is the firewall that comes with Windows. If you are running a separate firewall like Kerio the you don't need the Windows one. If you are on Dial up you probably don't need a firewall but I would install anyway.

htennent
10-11-2003, 09:12 PM
In addition to this, there are a number of software firewalls available, the recomended choice by many is the free version of ZoneAlarm. If you do not have a seperate software firewall installed, i would recomend installing one, as the protection provided by good third-party software firewall solutions is better then the in-built one of Windows XP (For various reasons I will not go into here). In addition, having both this item ticked, and a personal firewall installed is known to cause problems. I would disagree with the previous comment, and suggest all users require a third-party firewall such as ZoneAlarm. I use the paid-for version which provides additional features which you may or may not not require.

tommy
11-11-2003, 09:44 AM
> Do you need to tick this box??? This box is unticked by default.

If you have no other firewall it would be advisable to have the box ticked if only for protection against viruses such as the msblaster. There are many good threads on firewalls on this forum that can be found with a search.