PDA

View Full Version : Deleting stuff out of Ad-Aware quarantine

Misty
10-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Have done a run of Ad-Aware 6.0 and have 4 items in quarantine. Two of these are from a dialler program which it would be good to get rid of.
The other two show as:

obj[1]=RegData : .DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Set tings
obj[2]=RegData : Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings

These last two seem pretty innocent (or am I ?).
Should I get rid of the lot or can I just get rid of the dialler program stuff ?
Does not seem to be that option on Ad Aware- seems to be, all or nothing.
Misty

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Dialers are Interesting ...
Being Quite Young, and being quite fanatical about Computer Security, i've been going round fixing up peoples computers to be secure. (ie remove spyware + virus's, add firewall + anti virus + windows updates)

So far i've found over 500 Objects with Ad-aware on Three Different Computers. On One Computer i found around 10 dialers .. all installed by various rogue um ... sites.

Try the Lavasoft Knowledge Base/Support Forums
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

Terry Porritt
10-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Generally the quarantined files can be deleted.
In the case of the media player registry entries, these may refer to features in the player that send out data/requests from your machine to the internet.

If you havent had any problems with these entries removed from your registry, then you could consider deleting them. On the other hand, they wont be taking up much room in the quarantined files, so you could just leave them, just in case you want to restore them any time.

I have all such options turned off in media player, so Adaware doesnt find anything like that.

Laura
10-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Terry

How did you turn them off, please?

Terry Porritt
11-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Gosh, sorry Laura, only just seen your question :(

I cant remember what I did in win98 and Media Player 7, but in XP and Media Player 8, which is likely to be similar, in Tools-Options-Player uncheck the Internet Settings boxes, and in Media Library I also have No access checked (for what it's worth?)

Also when Kerio firewall said Media Player wanted to connect out for some reason I set up a deny permission to do so.