PDA

View Full Version : CS"

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 04:39 PM
What is a medium-type systems specification for playing Counter Strike ?

About how many Mb does Counter-Strike Consume if you play for an hour over the interne ?

Wayne H
10-11-2003, 05:18 PM
NONE if you change your log into this EXACTLY user@jetstreamgames.co.nz with no password, and you get full speed at no additional cost.
(that is if you are on jetstream)

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Ok, but if you dont do that ...

I'm assuming you have to pay to upload things on Jetstream

If you give me the full details of that also

Thanks

NTD

Wayne H
10-11-2003, 05:36 PM
The ONLY sites you can visit are *.jetstreamgames.co.nz (where * means anything)
and no you do not pay a cent, the theory is if you do not pay for an ISP you could still login to user@jetstreamgames.co.nz, BUT THAT IS THE ONLY SITE YOU COULD VISIT ON THE WHOLE INTERNET. to browse the internet you need to change your router back to the original username and PW that your ISP gave you.

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 05:39 PM
So, i cant just log-in with the usual xtra user name and password and get free jetstream games ?

Wayne H
10-11-2003, 05:41 PM
NO.

BIFF
10-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Counterstrike will run on very low powered machines. A PII 450MHz with a TNT2 32Mb video card will run it well.

4 Hours of gaming at 128Kb/s (Jetstream Starter) will use about 130MB of traffic.
If you use Xtra as your ISP and use Jetstream Starter your national traffic is free and therefore equilivent to using the Jetstream Games realm. If you have more than one person sharing the connection and playing with you on the internet, then it is worth changing to the jetstream games realm; -the full rate connection keeps the latency down when there are more people sharing the connection. With only one player you will not see any real difference in the ping times though.

ntddevsys
11-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks All

Jester
11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
> 4 Hours of gaming at 128Kb/s (Jetstream Starter) will
> use about 130MB of traffic.

I disagree, sorry :|

I play it quite a bit and at first watched my usage like a hawk, until I realised it used about 3 megs and hour, which, for me connecting to local servers via Paradise was .3 of a meg usage. Once the content is downloaded (maps etc) the actual data transfer during the game is small.

Set your filters to Australia maps and the low ping (<100) ones will be at the top.

Secondly, the Jetstream Games realm is a waste of time as there are only a few Jetstream Xtra Servers available with CS 1.6. Paradise seem to have dropped many games, including the new 1.6 CS.

I emailed Jetsream Games back in July after realising that my pings weren't overly low when connected to Jetstream Games compared to 128k Starter. Here is the reply:

Jetstream starter is more than adequate for the Half-life and other first person games. The ping will not improve if you change either. The only advantage of the jetstream games login is in order to download faster from the games website. I think our marketing people assumed the game would be better with full speed. This may be true in future if any future games need a better bandwidth than currently used. The only other benefit of the faster speed of Jetstream or the Jetstream games login is if you ran a LAN and allowed the LAN players access to a jetstream games or paradise server.

My advise is to "tweak" as much as possible. e.g. tweak your graphics card settings and or your PC settings.

Have fun, it's an old game but can be fun, especially once you see results on being calm, taking educated options and becoming accurate in aiming. I'm an old fart online but I enjoy it :)

J
:D

Finally, my son and I play together online using separate PC's and the ping isn't different at this time.

ntddevsys
11-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks,
Can peope tell me what pings can be expected from

56K Dialup
Jetstream 128
Full Speed
Cable 256
Cable 2Mbps

Cheers

MrBeef
11-11-2003, 08:13 PM
56K Dialup (From experience - depending on server) = 120 - 250
Jetstream 128 = 40 - 100
256 = 30 maybe

thats all i know

Jester
11-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Jetstart for me gives 60 - 80 average for NZ Servers, somedays however it can be around 110. At times lags in game up to 200, but it's for a short time and others lag too.

J

ntddevsys
12-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks, but i need to be really specific **Sorry**
What sort of Pings would i get

Jetstream 256kbps -
Paradise Cable 256kbps (over Telstra) -
Jetstream Full Speed 4 Mbp/s-

Thanks

tweak\'e
12-11-2003, 09:57 PM
ping times arise form distance between server and server lag (ie time for server/client to proccess the dat). it dosn't have much to with how big the bandwidth is.

lag = distance + sever lag + length of time to send the required data. this is where more bandwidth comes in handy but only to a point. every game has differnt bandwidth requirements for best performance.

with the high bandwidth connectios there is very little difference in ping. the main difference is how close you are to the sever and the quality of any points between you and the server.