PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my CD burner?

Mike
10-11-2003, 04:17 PM
My wife just asked me to burn some photos to CD for a friend of hers, so I said "sure, be ready in about a minute"...

...an hour and 6 CDs later I haven't been able to burn anything properly :( I've tried using Win XPs CD burning function as well as Nero (5.5
I think?) it gets through caching all the files (only 30mb of photos, nothing else) and starts to burn. Win XP CD burner just spits out the CD and says there was an error writing to CD. Nero just keeps going, but the progress bar hits about 50% and stays there, no matter how long I leave it (well up to about 15 minutes). If I put the CD back into the drive to read it (to see if there's anything on it) Windows freezes for a couple of minutes, then it spits the disk out again.

I tried restarting with the CD in the drive, and Windows wouldn't restart - it spent ages trying to boot off the CD... I ejected and put it back in again, and the Windows load halted just before the login screen. Ejected it again and Windows finished loading.

The drive the CD was in while I tried to read it is a different drive to the burner. The reader drive is working fine, as I've used several other CDs in there since the failed attempts.

I've used 2 different brands of CD-R - 4 of one and 2 of the other. Both these brands I've been using for a while with no problems.

The burner is a Sony 32x24x40x (I think ;))

Any ideas? I've restarted several times, and just to be sure I've run virus check, spybot, and adaware, none of which found anything untoward.

Thanks

Mike.

somebody
10-11-2003, 04:55 PM
From what I can tell, I think either the laser, or some component of your CD Writer is dead. Have you tried re-installing the drivers & Nero for it?

ilikelinux
10-11-2003, 06:02 PM
after this, u might want to get it looked at?

kiwibeat
10-11-2003, 06:25 PM
had similar proble trty cdrw until you solve it saves wasting cdrs I think its a software problem try the burner in another PC if possible or try a restore point when it was working

Steve Askew
10-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Have you tried reading a known good CD in your burner? EG: Your windows cd.

Cheers Steve

Oxie
10-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Mike

Have you tried writing to a new CD with the lowest possible speed selected? It might be worth a try. First I would make sure you use just the CD writer drive (not both drives) to burn the CD. I am not sure if you are copying the images from the hard drive to the CD or from another CD.

Oxie (Lyn)

Chilling_Silently
10-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Its not buffer under-run is it?

Mike
10-11-2003, 08:56 PM
> Have you tried reading a known good CD in your
> burner? EG: Your windows cd.

It's reading CDs fine :)

Mike.

Mike
10-11-2003, 08:57 PM
> Have you tried writing to a new CD with the lowest
> possible speed selected? It might be worth a try.
> First I would make sure you use just the CD writer
> drive (not both drives) to burn the CD. I am not
> sure if you are copying the images from the hard
> drive to the CD or from another CD.

Yeah, I've used different speed settings - I don't think it even gets that far, it seems to lock up when it's about to start burning.

I was copying the CDs off the HDD.

Mike.

Mike
10-11-2003, 08:57 PM
> Its not buffer under-run is it?

Nope :)

Mike.

bmason
10-11-2003, 09:02 PM
I assume its out of warrantly, so open it up and have a look/poke. There could be some crud in there.

Mike
10-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Yeah it could be dirty - is there any decent method (apart from opening it up - it's only 16 months old) to clean the writing head? Will a normal old CD head cleaner work?

Mike.