PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

zqwerty
10-11-2003, 03:08 PM
I have been happily using Win98se for a couple of years now and it is about time to move to Win2000. I have two hard drives on my system, one for the os and one to run temp internet files and store programs I have down loaded. I have a third hard drive I will use to boot Win2000 but I want to still keep on using the other temp internet files etc hard drive unchanged to get the installation programs off it etc. I have used FAT32 but I think 2000 has a different type of hard drive system NFTS or something and they are not compatible, so does this mean I cannot look at and take files off a hard drive formatted in FAT32 with Win2000.
If I make my present hard drive be dual boot could I take files from the dormant Win98os whilst running Win2000. These are things I need to know before making final decisions about which way to go.
My computer is a modest one ie Pentium Pro200mhz with 98Meg ram. I have been told it will work well with Win2000 because it is a true 32 bit machine. I do not want to trash my Win98se hard drive until I am certain that I prefer Win 2000. So any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Robert Worrill.

robsonde
10-11-2003, 03:13 PM
win2000 can read files from a fat32 system but win98 cant read NTFS.

win2000 will be a bit slow on your system but its worth a go.

zqwerty
10-11-2003, 03:22 PM
That was quick, thanks man, why do you say it will be slow, this computer has exceeded all my expectations and runs quite fast, it is not MMX but I have put an identical os onto a 266Mhz pentium mmx and my system is a lot faster. I put in the Hardware Accelerator drivers from Intel and got another increase in speed something to do with the Windows drivers for the motherboard and cpu not being optimum. It has a fair amount of level 2 cache and apparently this is the big feature of the Pro200s. Money being a bit of a problem I cannot upgrade and anyway I have learnt such a lot from using this computer that at the moment I am kind of glad I am stuck with it.
Regards Rob.

zqwerty
10-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Sorry forgot to ask, if 2000 can read FAT32 then will I be able to write to the secondary hard drive (FAT32) with 2000 then at a later date read those same files using Win98se.
Regards
Robert.

Mike
10-11-2003, 03:28 PM
> Sorry forgot to ask, if 2000 can read FAT32 then will
> I be able to write to the secondary hard drive
> (FAT32) with 2000 then at a later date read those
> same files using Win98se.

Yes.

Mike.

Wayne H
10-11-2003, 03:56 PM
>why do you say it will be slow, this computer has exceeded all my >expectations and runs quite fast

the minimum Specs for Windows 2000 to run is a P133. 64 MB ram, it can be installed on less but it is nearly useless, however a P200 with 96 MB ram , will turn on, will run office 2k, just be aware that it could take up to two minutes before you can log in to use it. anything you do on W98 add about 20-30% of time on to a P200. so if it takes 100 seconds to start your favourite game it will take about 120-130 seconds under W2K.
My typical install is win98 on C: data on D: and Win2k/Xp on E: that way you remember that all your data is on D drive and it stops you from forgetting where you put it. I relocate the CD rom to F: drive under windows 98 just to be consistant for both OS's (it is not a normal thing to do.)
W2k can read fat16 (DOS) Fat32 and NTFS 4.0 and 5.0
Win 98 can read fat 16 and fat32 there is a readonly

Billy T
10-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi Z

You can opt for FAT32 during the install of W2K and that keeps everything compatible. You don't have to use NTFS unless you want to.

For compatibility I've stuck with FAT32 and have had no cause to regret it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kiwibeat
10-11-2003, 05:09 PM
My advice is to stay with 98SE you need a faster PC with much more ram for 2000 if you want to experiment i recommend you back up all your data to cdr's strip 98 down as much as possible do a compressed image of your c: drive using DriveImage 2002 like I do to either another HDD or to cdrs that way you can restore back to how it was in about 10 mins rather than reformat and reinstall should you find 2000 not satisfactory.
welcome to email me if you need any more help

zqwerty
10-11-2003, 05:44 PM
I am starting two weeks of work experience and the place I am going to work at uses Win2000 as the core operating system, so I want to gain some experience on it before getting there, to find my way fluently around their system.
I like the idea of sticking with FAT32 on Win2000 instal, I have heard that FAT 32 is not as secure (error free) as NTFS or whatever but is slightly faster.
I have a completely separate hard drive to put the Win2000 instal on, all I was really worried about was the subsidiary hard drive not being compatible with both os's when I use either one of them. But from what people have said it does not look like that will be a problem.
Thanks for all the help so far and I think I will go ahead and by the weekend coming up I will let you all know how a PentPro200s performs on the Win2000 os.
Regards Rob.

tweak\'e
10-11-2003, 05:59 PM
win9x run quite poorly on pentium pros, there really designed with NT in mind. w2k should run ok, proberly about the same speed as win98. however your lack of ram is the biggest problem. if you can ad some more it will make a big difference.

Billy T
10-11-2003, 06:36 PM
For an experienced Windows user there is little practical operational difference at all between Win98 and Win2000, especially if you elect to use the Windows Classic interface. The key differences lie much deeper than the user interface so if you will be using Win2000 at the program interface you won't need much familarisation at all.

I endorse Kiwibeat's advice about drive imaging too. It will return you to W98 in just 10-15 minutes, and if you image Win2000 as well while it is installed, you will be able to put that back again later if you want to without going through the whole installation process.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

zqwerty
15-11-2003, 03:17 AM
So here I am, Win2000 running like a dream, the drive that I thought I would use failed, so I dual booted onto 'E' drive NFTS, and, as predicted it was slow for a while, I have a program which monitors internet dialogue and the software did a lot of talking to somewhere, then suddenly the machine came up to speed, because as was pointed out this is a sad little CPU, but right now I am very satisfied, it is running as fast as Win98SE, and from the centre of the drive, and dare I use the word is 'Slick'. I am putting info back into the Win98 system and there is no problem. Win2000 is over-viewing the entire instalation that I had before and Win98SE does not even know that it exists. As I type to you it is also running WinAmp 2.91 and I am so pleased with the over-all performance of my computer. As soon as I move up to or over 1GigHz CPU on the same hard drive this is going to be a killer system. What I want to say though is that a lot of information was going somewhere, no doubt about that, for about 4 hours continuous and then suddenly the computer came up to speed. I used Zone Alarm to restrict the dialogue and the internet became unavailable, so I let it do its thing and after a while it sped up. Probably reporting back to Microsoft. I was so busy getting other things organised that I did not record the IP's it was talking to. It was communicating on at least 6 ports, and listening on many more. It has been a lot of work but well worth it. The view program is called TCPview. Useful for checking on anything that is communicating out of your computer without your knowledge.
Catch up with you soon.
Regards
Robert.

zqwerty
15-11-2003, 03:30 AM
TCPView - Sysinternals: www.sysinternals.com