PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Digital or DTS?

Mike
10-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Which is better, Dolby Digital, or DTS? Or should I choose one over the other depending on the type of movie I'm watching?

Also, optical or coax for digital audio - which is better? Can I have one DVD player plugged into Coax and another plugged into optical, and use either depending on which DVD player I'm using? :D

Mike.

dipstick01
10-11-2003, 11:21 AM
DTS is the next step up from Dolby Digital so I would opt for that whenever. For example The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD sounds great in Dolby Digital but is awesome in DTS.

As for coax or optical that seems to depend on the amp you are using. We have many different brands in our shop and some give a better sound from coax while others prefer optical. Yes you can connect 2 through each input but often you will find you have to change the input selection on the amp to get signal.

More importantly spend a little $$ and get yourself a semi decent quality cable for your signal. Pudney and Lee do a reasonably priced version called Premium Gold which is usually more than adequate for the average amp setup.

Mike
10-11-2003, 11:29 AM
> DTS is the next step up from Dolby Digital so I would
> opt for that whenever. For example The Eagles Hell
> Freezes Over DVD sounds great in Dolby Digital but is
> awesome in DTS.

Okay - I have noticed that most of my DVDs don't have DTS available, but the ones that do sound really good when I switch to DTS :)

> As for coax or optical that seems to depend on the
> amp you are using. We have many different brands in
> our shop and some give a better sound from coax while
> others prefer optical.

Ah, okay :) the manual for the amp says that Coax is recommended, even though both coax and optical inputs are accepted. Only one of the DVD players has optical output though (the one packaged with the amp doesn't have optical output).

> Yes you can connect 2 through
> each input but often you will find you have to change
> the input selection on the amp to get signal.

My amp is supposed to auto-select, but I'll give it a go one day (I don't have an optical cable yet).

> More importantly spend a little $$ and get yourself a
> semi decent quality cable for your signal. Pudney and
> Lee do a reasonably priced version called Premium
> Gold which is usually more than adequate for the
> average amp setup.

Yeah, that's what I'll end up doing eventually, but it'll have to wait for now. It was expensive enough just buying enough of the cheap cables to plug everything in :D

Thanks dipstick - this is an area I know very little about :D

Mike.

dipstick01
10-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Well if you live in the Hawkes Bay then come and see me and I'll sort you out for some decent cables etc at a good price

Mike
10-11-2003, 11:47 AM
> Well if you live in the Hawkes Bay

Not quite :) Bay of Plenty (I wish I had a Bank of Plenty :p)

Mike.

Lohsing
10-11-2003, 01:02 PM
> As for coax or optical that seems to depend on the
> amp you are using. We have many different brands in
> our shop and some give a better sound from coax while
> others prefer optical. Yes you can connect 2 through
> each input but often you will find you have to change
> the input selection on the amp to get signal.

Just a question, I was always under the impression that coax was always better than optical as it was one less medium to travel through?

Lo.

Lohsing
10-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Actually, I've answered my own question... read here (http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-dvd/thread.cgi?49).

Lo.

dipstick01
10-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Theoretically Coax is better than Optical but as I mentioned it also depends on the amp involved. The difference can be very audiable and often surprising.

Dolby Digital
10-11-2003, 02:26 PM
DTS has a higher bitrate so in theory DTS is superior, but that is not necessarily the case. Someone has already mentioned "Hell Freezes Over" by the Eagles which is a great dvd but the imaging on it is stupid (on the DTS track). The same guy playing the same quitar on the same track can be in two different places depending on whether they are playing lead or rythm (and he didn't walk around the stage... cos you can see him). If a dvd has a dolby digital track and a dts track, try both, do not assume the DTS will be better (of course it may well be).

Lohsing
10-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Yes there was a lot of talk on the net about the re-sampling of the DTS track... I do think that DTS is a better option, but agree that Dolby Digital is a much more widely supported format.

The end result depends on how well it is put together, for sure.

Lo.

Dolby Digital
10-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Of course now we have DTS ES (isn't it), Pro Logic II for legacy stuff and has Dolby Digital been enhanced too?

Lohsing
10-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Let's not forget about THX and the rest... ;)

Lo.

dipstick01
10-11-2003, 05:15 PM
don't forget 6.1, 7.1 and even 8.1 channel and neo 6 and neo6 DTS etc etc. My poor brain hurts from trying to keep up with things at the moment and the launch of "Music Kegs" for mainstream Home Theatre seems imminent also. Hard drive units for storage of music with connections to load it up from your PC. That and the launch of the Megabox (http://www.megabox.co.nz) which is a combination of PC and home entertainment etc makes for very exciting times ahead.