PDA

View Full Version : When shopping for Ram is there good and bad.

john r
09-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Hi all I am wanting to buy some more ram for my PC,there is quite a few different brands and prices,is it the old story you get what you pay for or are some a good price and good performance.
I need 128 or 256 of PC-133 SDRAM.
Thanks,
John.

nicnz
09-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Hi,

It depends on the MB - some will only accept single sided RAM (registers 1/2 of the amount or RAM if you put in double sided...)

There have also been issues with mixing some brands - I couldn't get my old computer past boot when I put in a new stick, but ran fine with one of either makes.

If you are going to buy it off someone through buy/sell/ex etc, you might like to ask if you can bring your computer with you and quickly test it before buying?
HTH

thanks,
Nic

john r
09-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Usually buy my bits from Ascent,find them great to deal with,if you look at their site the choice is many,
john.

tweak\'e
09-11-2003, 08:44 PM
the other thing i'm finding more and more of is high density ram ie only 4 ram chips on the side of the stick. some motherboards will not run them.

kiwibeat
10-11-2003, 01:12 PM
If you dont over clock most generic ram will be ok Ascent is good for warranty replacement etc if buying 2nd hand get it installed & try it out before payment if possible from a local seller

Billy T
10-11-2003, 06:52 PM
> It depends on the MB - some will only accept single
> sided RAM (registers 1/2 of the amount or RAM if you
> put in double sided...)

And vice-versa, an older MB will only read half the RAM if single sided is used, but double sided works just fine. The A-Trend MB in Old Faithful is about 4-5 years old and only likes double sided RAM.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 09:21 PM
I agree ..

www.ascent.co.nz/

Is where everything technical in my house has come from

john r
10-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks all,a lot of good info,I will check old ram before buying.
john