PDA

View Full Version : .dat extractor?

MrBeef
09-11-2003, 08:54 PM
are their such things as these, just being curious..

cyberchuck
09-11-2003, 09:07 PM
If it's a movie in .dat format then several programs such as AVIPreview, Mplayer (for Linux) and VLC can read it straight... If the .dat file is an MP3 or some other format you could try copying it and then renaming it from filename.dat to filename.mp3 and then opening it in your default program.

CyberChuck

MrBeef
09-11-2003, 09:13 PM
its a file from the game in my previous thread - The Last Eichof called beer.dat it will have sound and all sorts of stuff in it. its 6 megs

robsonde
09-11-2003, 09:17 PM
.dat is the format of random data files, there is NO standard for these files.

the trick is to find out what format they are in.

often .dat that has sound will be wav or mp3.

MrBeef
09-11-2003, 09:23 PM
o.k i tried changing file names to .wav or .mp3

keeping mind that this a 1994 game

robsonde
09-11-2003, 09:26 PM
that age of game........

it might be in wav or raw format. could be mod or midi.

MrBeef
09-11-2003, 09:38 PM
it has Pink Floyd - money in it..that start bit where the money is chinging...

**** isnt there just some kinda of viewer

cyberchuck
10-11-2003, 07:41 AM
KazaaLite has a dat viewer incorporated with it - just install KLite (make sure the DAT Viewer gets installed in the options) and then Start > Programs > Kazaa lite > DAT Viewer.

CyberChuck

agent
10-11-2003, 08:50 AM
They might have tried mimicking the format used in sound recording studios - a DAT tape. You can get older software that have DAT players built in, you just have to look for them.

MrBeef
10-11-2003, 09:16 AM
nah K-Dat dont work on viewer them, but **** that was a brilliant idea.

Hmmmm, this is really frustrating

Mike
10-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Do a search for that game on game cheat/trainer sites. A lot of those sites will have utilities specifically built for each game for ripping the sounds out of files. You might have trouble finding one though if the game is so old.

Mike.

MrBeef
10-11-2003, 11:16 AM
okay i tried all that but to no sucess.

Another idea, are there any programmes that will record what every sound the computer is processing..so when i run this game i can record all the sounds that are being played.

agent
10-11-2003, 12:34 PM
TotalRecorder :D

Trusted Computing says programs like that won't be licenced to run because of the significance of what you can do with them...

Graham L
10-11-2003, 02:35 PM
A file called something.dat might be anything. Long before there was MSDOS or Windows there were files called something.dat . It's what a programmer calls something when it's not a well known format. It's what I would call a dump of an area of memory with no formatting. It's what I would call a straight dump of raw data from a field-recorded tape, which hasn't been cleaned up. When I see such a file I look for a tool.

On mainframe or mini-computers there was usually a programme supplied by the manufacturer to handle files like that. It was usually called "dump", and gave an octal dump of every octet, sometimes with any printable characters shown. od is the one for *nix. I suppose debug is the nearest in DOS. :D One mini I used a lot didn't have one of these tools, so I wrote one.