PDA

View Full Version : Win2k resets my profile.

nomad
09-11-2003, 08:18 PM
I booted in like normal then this time, my profile was resetted. Like icq, outlook, bookmarks, everything ... I used the same login and password. Thru documents and settings, I have been assigned a new folder.

What to do?

ilikelinux
10-11-2003, 05:28 PM
have u just reinstalled windows?

Wayne H
10-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Easiest way is to log in with admin rights, look for *root*\Docs and settings\Username\ choose show all files and folders and copy the whole lot over from the account name that you recognise as being there before to the account you have now. if you only see one username in there then the profile has been deleted,
do you use a domain or are you at home?

Chilling_Silently
10-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Sounds like your account's been changed to Guest to me...
Try checking that out :-)

nomad
10-11-2003, 10:33 PM
I dunno if its guest or what ...
I lost all the icq, email settings, msn, shortcuts icons, desktop icons. All those icons on the taskbar which u hide, appeared to be visible again. It was like if I reinstalled windows and booted into admin account. The files were in my original profile folder, I could access them thru windows explorer but not on my desktop.

I deleted the account by loggin as administrator. Deleted the folder as well manually. Re-assigned my previous login and transferred files across while redoing the settings of the email and so forth ..

Could it be of a corrupted profile?? Or too large, my profile is like 6GB+ since I store so much junk on my desktop and My Documents. I have now transferred everything back while leaving quite a bit on the C:\

Nomad.

nomad
10-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I did not reinstall windows.
I just booted in and this was the nth time during the same day, every other time it booted in ok, then this time this thing happened without warning, no error screens whatsoever, it just came. Then when it happened it just became fixed until I deleted and redid the profile.

mikebartnz
11-11-2003, 12:00 AM
You may have mistyped your login and that could be why you ended up with a new profile. As someone suggested login as admin and view Documents and Settings and see if there is an extra entry.

nomad
11-11-2003, 05:26 PM
its not the wrong login. its only three letters long. and i use a blank password field. just bizaree.

nomad
11-11-2003, 05:28 PM
login is Ray
Under documents and settings I have my normal folder as 'Ray', I also have another, the new one is like 'Ray.XXXXXX' where XXXX was the computer name under network identifier ... just strange.

Merlin
11-11-2003, 07:03 PM
A result of unable to access the user profile.

Can be caused by changing/altering profile path settings, or problems with a slow(or no) network connection to a share with the profile settings.

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb