PDA

View Full Version : TelstraClear spam filtering service

Steve Bell
09-11-2003, 05:22 AM
When TelstraClear introduced its spam-filter, in September, based on the Brightmail service, it worked quite well for me. But in the past few weeks, my spam load has been steadily mounting again. Messages like:

Lose 25 pounds w/a patch

This is the qmail program
I'm sorry to have to inform you that I wasn't able to deliver your message to one or more destinations.
Undelivered mail to ylvnvlz@netmail.com"?

Lusty dad doing his daughter

Take a valium 30lg

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired? (a real classic spam line, that one; we'll give you a job where money comes rolling in without your doing anything)
You can Earn Your Degree Online
Paying too much for allergy relief?
Guaranteed* Gold Card
Need Money? - Get $500 in Your Bank Account Today
(header) Naked mom s*cks son's c*ck;
(body) Russian incest f*cking (those are MY asterisks, NOT theirs; the words in the message are in their 'basic' form.

Are Brightmail's operatives (yes, they're apparently real human beings who scan your email - which in itself makes me a little uncomfortable) falling down on the job?

I'm fed up with complaining to TestiCular; their response is to nitpick about my sending the complaint to the wrong address, and when I got to talk to one of their senior people (thanks only to my journalistic 'clout', I suspect) all I got was: "We're trying as hard as we can, and you should look at the stuff we block". And true, they block about three times what they let slip through; but the headings don't seem to be any less obvious on the ones sent through (above) than on the ones they block.

How have others found the Paradise/ ClearNet service? Initially good, but now either getting sloppy or being overwhelmed?

Or am I specially "favoured" in this regard?

Steve B.

Thomas
09-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Will let you know about xtra's when it is introduced soon.

olldaddy76
09-11-2003, 07:15 AM
I am with PARADISE and have not had a single piece of SPAM since the filtering service began.....and i have heaps of daily e-mail.....BUT the A D S L service has been up and down....good to start with but lately flaky.....

cyberchuck
09-11-2003, 07:30 AM
The qmail one isn't spam - it's the mailer daemon for netmail.com saying that an email that you (or someone spoofing your email address) sent wasn't delievered to the address - generally this is because the email account doesn't exist or depending on the setup because the user didn't check their account in so many days and Qmail got sick of holding the mail...

Xtra's one goes live on the 19th of Nov

CyberChuck

Mike
09-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Steve,

I'm with Clear.Net and I have noticed that in the last few days more spam has been getting through that previously.

I'm guessing that Clear haven't updated their spam list.

Mike.

Laura
09-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Sorry to disagree Cyberchuck, but the qmail one is definitely spam in my book.
Maybe it has a genuine application, but its being massively used as part of the spam generated by the Swen A virus since mid=September.
Although not infected with the virus, I've been getting that spam ever since.
There are 3 versions: The well-publicised fake Microsoft website offering updates..
The "undeliverable mail"
The qmail
They all started with me on the same day....& I was new enough to have never had spam before that.
I'm amazed an ISP doesn't regognise those (still my main source of junk) and I'm hoping Xtra does better on the 19th November.

Laura
09-11-2003, 03:21 PM
P.S. I guess I should give Xtra credit for at least deleting the virus before passing on the emails (and yes, I got belt & braces security immediately after that) although I have been fed up with how long it's taking to get the spam filter going.

bmason
09-11-2003, 07:29 PM
I've found the paradise (aka clear/telstra) not very good. It was catching only ~30%.

Budda
10-11-2003, 07:41 AM
sounds like you should all change to orcon lol, ive been with them for year s with two accounts and only had 2 spam mails lol.

I got the feeling that clear introduced the "SPAM FILTER" and then added all its mail to mailing lists, cause the guy i work with went on holiday to europe for 5 weeks and when he came back he had nearly 2500 mails in his spam folder lol. Just to make clear look good :)

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 09:06 PM
I have three accounts with Paradise and One with Hotmail

I don't get any junk through any of them , but one (unless you count my friends bad jokes), never have.

I have noticed i used to get about 20 a year in One Account before the Spam Filtering., and now i don't get any

If your getting alot of spam, try logging in using Webmail and Selected the Spam and Clicking Move to Spam ..

Big John
11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Well I used to get between 2 and 6 spam e-mails per day. However as soon as Paradise put in their spam protection I found that I was getting about 10 to 20 per day that sits on their machine.

Makes you wonder how come suddenly I get so much since all they did was make a change to add spam filtering at their end.

Chemical Ali
11-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Like Oldaddy I haven't had a single piece of Spam since Telstraclear brought their filtering service in.
Very happy with it.

neptune
12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
I am with paradise,

And ever since having the spam protection i have noticed increasing number of spam sitting in the spam folder! I used to get about 2-3 spams
before sept and after getting their service, i see about 10-12 spams in the junk mail folder. Makes me suspicious if paradise is just trying to look god by distributing our email add.

Paradise has email delays lately and i havent been receiving them on time. The same problem that happened with Xtra.

In fact these problems have been caused by the new anti spam software that has been integrated into the email service. The same happened to Big Pond in Aussie.

Xtra was supposed to come out with the protection in1st week of Nov but has problems implementing it and the marketing dept has done a muck up by bringing ads on tele so ealry when there is no spam protection available! And Now Xtra goes around telling it will come out in Nov 19th.
Hopefully it does with no problems

yingxuan
12-11-2003, 04:45 AM
Im with paradise and before the introduce of spam filtering.I kept getting emails and it contained the sobig virus.I don't get it anymore.I don't have any spam in my account.I don't sign up for things unless im sure that its safe.For example.I subscribe the symantec newsletter that tells me the latest information about viruses etc.
Hmm paradise has done a good job.Nope no spam here!

Big John
12-11-2003, 08:27 AM
> Im with paradise and before the introduce of spam
> filtering.I kept getting emails and it contained the
> sobig virus.I don't get it anymore.I don't have any
> spam in my account.I don't sign up for things unless
> im sure that its safe.For example.I subscribe the
> symantec newsletter that tells me the latest
> information about viruses etc.
> Hmm paradise has done a good job.Nope no spam here!

Yes but Paradise signed you up automatically for their spam protection without so much as a "by your leave"

You may not have noticed it.

ilikelinux
12-11-2003, 08:27 AM
i'm with ihug and about one peice of spam gets through once a week.

and the spam filtering is set to "Assasin" or highest

Jim B
12-11-2003, 08:48 AM
When Ihug was charging for spam removal it was catching all junk mail and never missed even one.

Now that they are giving it free I have noticed that it lets 2 or 3 through every day even though they are obvious spam emails and I have it set on assasin the highest option.
It does catch most though but the spam it misses doesn't appear to be any different to those that are filtered which seems strange

If this is the result of having it free then I would rather pay for it and have all spam removed.

It seems strange too, that before they started the spam filter I never received any spam at all, makes you wonder.

Susan B
12-11-2003, 01:32 PM
> When Ihug was charging for spam removal it was catching all junk mail and never missed even one.

I would have thought you would be subscribed to the ISP who employs you.