PDA

View Full Version : Digi. Cam. and Printer

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
08-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Hello, I saw a lovely deal at [some place, not telling :p] today.

There was a 'package' consisting of
*Epson Photo Injet 830
*Nikon Coolpix 2000 2MP

Both of these are more clearance items, but do any of you out there that have either of these? What do you think of them?

How many photo can you have in 8MB CompactFlash memory with 2.0MP photos?

If it was you, how much would you pay for it, *try imagine you don't really need another printer, but would like to buy one cheaply to replace next time you run out of ink*.

How much would you pay for them each, and together? [I'm not telling the price, personally, I think its cheap, despite the fact that my Dad thinks theres room for discounts. Its very limited in stock]

Cheers,

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
09-11-2003, 07:41 AM
The Nikon Coolpix 2000 isn't showing on PriceSpy. I think its because theres a newer model called 2100. But do you think it'd be a good idea to take $50 off due to the fact that its a old model? It has the same specification as the newer model.... but different shapes

Cheers all,

Graham L
09-11-2003, 02:15 PM
The 2000 looks like a nice little camera --- with 3x optical zoom. The product life time is interesting: introduced May 2002, next model (2100) introduced February 2003 . (Nikon recalled about 9000 of them in September 2002 because 14 caught fire. :D Perhaps that influenced the introduction of the new model).

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
09-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Hehe, interesting, do you have more details about the recall?

How many 2MP pics can you fit in 8mbs?

Many thanks,

godfather
09-11-2003, 02:32 PM
The number of pix you can fit on 8 MB depends on the settings available (and used).

As an example on my 2.3 MP camera, you can have pix sizes from less than 100 kB (640 x 480, high compression) to 1 MB (max resolution)

Assume 500 kB for a reasonable pix, gives ~16 photos.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
09-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Why is it then, that my friend has a 3.2MP cam, and when she sends the email to me, its only 40/50kB ~ish..

Ha, by the way, Nikon clames that if you have the camera within the serial numbers, then they will replace with a newer model.

Therefore if I buy this one cheaply, find it affected, then take it back... I might be lucky to get a much more expensive one :p... hehe, Im so cheap. No, I'm just joking... what if I buy the one not affected, then I'm stuck.. DAM!

:D

Graham L
09-11-2003, 02:35 PM
"Nikon coolpix 2000" to google. :D The sixth link has the recall info. One of the earlier links will tell you lots -- even with a "guided tour" review.

The number of pictures in a memory card depends on the resolution, and the compression type. The price of Compact Flash cards is dropping, so it's not a great problem. :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
09-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks, but no, Im not planning on spending more on simply buying Compact Flash cards.

How come when I get my friends pics, theyre only 40/50ish~ kBs in JPEG format?

Cheers,

Bazza
09-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi SY, The "How come" depends on what you want to do with the jpegs.

100kb or less, is acceptable for emailing, or viewing on the PC monitor.

But certainly not acceptable for printing a good larger sized photo.

It's all to do with resolution, and compression (quality). On many cameras these can be selected, depending on what you require.

The problem is knowing what you require. Sometimes you may get a great shot, that you wish to produce a good quality larger print. The 40/50~ish kBs jpegs wont cut it.

After some years with 2,3, & 6 mpix cameras, I always use the best resolution, with the best quality (least compression) just in case I want to print. One can aways reduce these file sizes later for emailing, but you can't increase them for improved printing from an original compressed shot.

Even a 2 mpix camera can produce very good prints, up to 8 x 6" or maybe larger, but only if you use the best quality (less compression).

As GF has explained, expect quality jpeg file sizes to be 500kB or more.

Accept that, and dont expect an 8mB card to be adequate, if you ever want to print.

Good luck SY.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
09-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Many thanks to everyone who replied, I know what you mean now, I have also spoken to my friend with the Sony Cybershot.

Ha, she had brought a extra 128MB Memory Stick, no wonder she could fit hundreds onto her camera.

I have decided that although Nikon is a good brand, it lacks many feature that other brands like Kodak have. Also, this model has been recalled, some of them, so it may not be very wise to buy it.

As for the printer, I've already got a HP 930c and a HP 948c waiting to be used (brand new) so I dont need another one unless cheap, I'm not going to print photos much anyway, if any....

So, I have come to conclusion to consider this purchase if the clearance prices get to $380 or less, by which time the shop would've lost a bit + not really possible, because the staff would have snatched it up for themselve! :D This comes down to the fact that the Kodak CX6200 is only $230ish incl GST and I'd not be prepared to pay more than $150 for the printer, even if it says photo printer :p... I paid under $150 for my 948c at the same place... so I know how low they can sell :p

But again, if I was to buy a Sony-type camera, I'd rather get a LCD screen or even a whole computer completely :D

Many thanks everybody