PDA

View Full Version : Boot troubles - HELP!!

SpiderVenom
07-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Every now and then (maybe once a month) my pc would freeze after auto detecting drives, and I would have to reset it. However, when it happened this morning, I hit reset, and then the power light started flashing along with an urgent beeping (no pattern, just constant and fast beeping). I reset again, but the problem reocurred, so I killed the power, waited for a while, and started up again. This time it was ok, except the power light doesn't go now.

Any idea why this happens?

Graham L
07-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Open the box and look to see if all the fans are going. The beeping could be a "panic" response to overheating.

Murray P
07-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Or a faulty power supply or a loose led connection. Whats your motherboard and BIOS manufaturer.

Cheers Murray P

SpiderVenom
07-11-2003, 04:55 PM
Gigabyte 8PE800, Award 6.00PG BIOS chip, BIOS rev F8

I checked the fans and power connectors, they all seem fine. Power light is working again, and I have a fan blowing cold air on it. Maybe that is the problem, I do have it in a corner (but not tight). Although when the problem happened, it had been shut down for several hours, and it wasn't particulary hot.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see :)

Murray P
07-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

Explanation: The system is producing constant beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.

Does that sound like you. Have a gander at this (http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/award.htm)

Cheers Murray P

PS. the beep codes don't always match what actually happens in real life once the motherboard makers have tweaked to fit their specs.